A Sub 3 Argus?

TheCuban

To do Sub 3 in good weather you need to start in Group A, B or C... your seeding is going to be the biggest problem. Unless you can pull some strings with the race office you'll be seeded around E/F and that's an almost impossible task to go under 3.

Almost impossible but not impossible. Nothing is impossible! Shot dude, needed the push.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent training and enjoy the day. Don't buy into the hype of the 'Argus' - it's just another race (group ride with equally strong riders). It'll keep the nerves down and save your energy for the ride.

I did a 2:57 from E in 2011. Nothing is impossible. There was one or two sub 3's from a later group if memory serves me correct.

Not possible at same fitness.

A friend of mine did Argus this year in 3:09 in group A. He did 2:38 94.7 this weekend.

But saying that there is plenty of time for improvement.

Depend on your age of corse but there should be enough time to get you close enough to fitness levels and if you get a seeding not worse than group E I would say it is possible but you will have to work hard and hope for good weather on the day.

Agree 100% with those time gaps 25- 30min, projected Argus time will be around 3:25

Not sure if this helps but i did a 6 hour Argus and then a 2h50 94.7... I'm sure start groups is everything, a very strong rider told me that its not you that does the Sub 3 hour its the group that does it.

Not sure if this helps but i did a 6 hour Argus and then a 2h50 94.7... I'm sure start groups is everything, a very strong rider told me that its not you that does the Sub 3 hour its the group that does it.

The group plays a massive role in it. You'd be hard pressed to average 37 on that route on your own.

First Argus was about 5 hours as the second last person through the starting gate (the guy behind was fixing a puncture); from L group (I think) the next time was 4:03. By that group there's virtually no bunch, and you have to wonder how the tjops in front actually got in front. Traffic is always the problem, especially the chatters, dawdlers and no-liners who hog the right-hand side (actually, keep left 'cos that seems to be the faster lane).

I did a 2:57 from E in 2011. Nothing is impossible. There was one or two sub 3's from a later group if memory serves me correct.

Hey we don't all have TRex thighs

• 9 months later...

Anyone know what sort of FTP or power/weight ratio (better probably) you have to push for a Sub-3???

Heard 4.3 w/kg somewhere. That sound about right?

Anyone know what sort of FTP or power/weight ratio (better probably) you have to push for a Sub-3???

Heard 4.3 w/kg somewhere. That sound about right?

That's a Cat 2 racer.... and those are generally pretty good riders - should clock a sub 3 hour easily.

I think about 3.2w/kg should do it :) maybe slightly less.

That's a Cat 2 racer.... and those are generally pretty good riders - should clock a sub 3 hour easily.

I think about 3.2w/kg should do it :) maybe slightly less.

WHAAAT :eek:

No way! Every man and his dog would be able to do a Sub-3

WHAAAT :eek:

No way! Every man and his dog would be able to do a Sub-3

That is on the cusp between a cat 3 and a cat 4 racer - categorised racers are not your average run of the mill weekend warriors....

I posted test results in another thread of a youngster with a well tested FTP of close to 3.2 w/kg - and he has gone sub 3 fairly easily - he is 3.19w/kg in a 1 hour test.

Here you go.

post-29797-0-60939900-1381154721_thumb.jpg

Edited by V12man

i am not saying YOU cant do a sub 3 but trust me when i say "every MR AVERAGE " cant its not that easy possible hell yeah EASY NOT SO MUCH

I couldn't turn a 2h39 94.7 into a sub 3 Argus. (Came in at 3h00m37s) and the weather was GOOD this year. Only the first 481 positions got sub 3 braging rights this year.

The thing that makes that sub 3 so illusive is the fact that Argus is 15km further than 94.7.

At 30km/h 15km takes 30mins... 45km/h to do 15km in 20mins...

You need to be quick for sub 3. That and you need to be at the front of the pack when the breaks happen at Smits, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

A sub 3 Argus depends on a three vital factors,

Start group, start group, start group.

If you’re seeded lower than C then the odds of getting a sub 3 lengthen. The best thing you can do is an extra seeding event to improve your group.

(disclaimer, my argus sub3 performance is 0/18)