A Sub 3 Argus?

TheCuban

Like someone stated earlier your starting group is probably the most important. To be honest 3hrs for the Argus is a very avg time. 2h45 is a good time in my books.......and no I have never done that time but it is a good goal

Contradiction

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, but it's moot point anyway since you can't control the weather.

I'm sure of all the sub3 results:

5% have been recorded by really good riders with *** seedings for whatever reason who basically timetrialled it. in perfect weather.

I disagree with this part. TT'ing a Sub 3 from the back would would be virtually impossible with all the heavy traffic & crowds to contend with.

Anyone know what sort of FTP or power/weight ratio (better probably) you have to push for a Sub-3???

Heard 4.3 w/kg somewhere. That sound about right?

2.92W/kg avg, 3.33W/kg NP = 2:58 (225 & 257 @77kg)

Pretty average power numbers. Seeding and ride tactics on the day make a big difference, as everyone says.

I disagree with this part. TT'ing a Sub 3 from the back would would be virtually impossible with all the heavy traffic & crowds to contend with.

I think he meant tt'ing from F-J not lower than that.

I think he meant tt'ing from F-J not lower than that.

OK, maybe in perfect weather as he said. But for example this year the weather wasn't bad, yet only 3 riders beyond group B got close to a Sub-3. (So maybe that 5% should be 1% if you want split hairs about percentages.)

Like previously posted, if you don't have the seeding you might as well forget about a sub-3

OK, maybe in perfect weather as he said. But for example this year the weather wasn't bad, yet only 3 riders beyond group B got close to a Sub-3. (So maybe that 5% should be 1% if you want split hairs about percentages.)

Like previously posted, if you don't have the seeding you might as well forget about a sub-3

I was in B and got a 3:01, caught back of a coming down llandadno and was not able to get group to work :/

Looking forward to DC :)

2.92W/kg avg, 3.33W/kg NP = 2:58 (225 & 257 @77kg)

Pretty average power numbers. Seeding and ride tactics on the day make a big difference, as everyone says.

And 5 sec peak and 1 and 5 min peak powers? I assume these numbers come from your 2:58, and they are in line with what I pretty much expect during the ride - I am surprised there is not a bigger difference between Average and NP.

I was in B and got a 3:01, caught back of a coming down llandadno and was not able to get group to work :/

Looking forward to DC :)

Eish, thats close...

In a way I hate how the sub-3 defines this race. If you ride a sub-5 or sub-4 everybody congratulates you, if you ride sub 3h20 you have to explain what went wrong!

Whilst on the subject of Power ...can anybody post their power profile / output for the Argus ...this way us newbies can train at the right intensity etc .. :)

And 5 sec peak and 1 and 5 min peak powers? I assume these numbers come from your 2:58, and they are in line with what I pretty much expect during the ride - I am surprised there is not a bigger difference between Average and NP.

On my last ride my average power was 233W, and my NP 253W. The difference between the two is mostly dependent on the route profile. A NP of 257W derived from a average power of 225W, tells me the ride took place where there were quite a few elevation changes...either that or usxorf was doing interval training!

On my last ride my average power was 233W, and my NP 253W. The difference between the two is mostly dependent on the route profile. A NP of 257W derived from a average power of 225W, tells me the ride took place where there were quite a few elevation changes...either that or usxorf was doing interval training!

Racing with the front guys is a little like doing intervals... on off on off... see who hangs on the longest.... that's why I am interested in his peak powers over the shorter periods.

Of course - your numbers are not easy to read without a weight... :) one of my mates has an FTP of 450w... but he is a BIG lad... more than twice the man I am...

Edited by V12man

Why?

He has just forgotten (or doesn't know) that the Argus is a 2:2x ride for international pro's in decent weather.. maybe a fraction less... given it's such a short race, and not much climb...

YEAR | # SUB 3 FINISHERS | GROUP THAT MADE IT | SEEDING INDEX

2005 | 240 | Group A | 14.6%

2006 | 800 | Group F | 16.8%

2007 | 1,300 | Group G | 18.4%

2008 | 1,700 | Group I | 22.4%

2009 | 150 | Only Elites | 10.8%

2010 | 130 | Only Elites | 12.5%

2011 | 1,000 | Group F | 18.4%

2012 | 570 | Group C | 15.3%

2013 | 450 | Group B | 12.5%

I imagine weather plays the greatest role on the day. This year the weather was pretty good and only 450 made it.

2007/8 must have been proper tail winds.

Average seeding required of 15.7% for Argus, of which would have been a time of 2hr 30min for 94.7 last year.

Edited by Chopper Jr

Like someone stated earlier your starting group is probably the most important. To be honest 3hrs for the Argus is a very avg time. 2h45 is a good time in my books.......and no I have never done that time but it is a good goal

Ok simple, 3 hours is not "average" it's at the better end of the time splits average would be 4 hours. Saying 2:45 is a good time and 3:00 is average is a contradiction if you look at the % of people who have got sub 3,

He has just forgotten (or doesn't know) that the Argus is a 2:2x ride for international pro's in decent weather.. maybe a fraction less... given it's such a short race, and not much climb...

We talking amongst our selfs here (mostly ) argus is more a fun ride than a INTERNATIONAL PRO RIDERS RACE yes there are a few pro riders but its not like all the pro teams pull in here to do the race, this is more a race for the masses, so when you look at who the race is accommodating then yes sub 3 is a great time to aim for, % wise