A Sub 3 Argus?

TheCuban

Aah my favourite race. I agree a fast 94.7 doesn't equate to a sub 3 Argus.

I was 3 mins quicker in this years 94,7 at 2h49 but only did a 3h11 Argus starting from E. thumbdown.gif

BUT, the E bunch rode like crap with only a few okes wanting to work and we were all 4 mins behind the scheduled average at Simonstown for a sub 3. They say it went downhill from there huh.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2004 i did both in the same year on more or less on the same level of fitness.

Argus time: 2:55 - C group

94.7 time: 2:37 - A group

20 min difference seems about right in good weather

Well I believe that Boyes drive is now out of the route so that could pull 4 mins off your time, what you guys think?

Have any Kapenaars actually ridden Boyes and Main Road to compare? Would anyone like to do that for comparison, hey how about a new fred and posting your times for both routes? thumbup1.gif

2 words: Hill intervals!

If you can find a 3km climb in JHB, ride it often and you'll be well on your way.

Argus is definitely harder to achieve a sub 3 hour ride. you will have to maintain a 37km/h average. If there is any wind, forget it. This year, there was little wind, but it was hot. there were only 500 odd sub 3's recorded as a result.

The race is very condition specific, you need to have done a good base and intensity build up for the Argus. Start group is important.

Next year will be slightly easier with Boyes Drive being dropped.

Hold thumbs for a cool windless raceday.

Well I believe that Boyes drive is now out of the route so that could pull 4 mins off your time, what you guys think?

Have any Kapenaars actually ridden Boyes and Main Road to compare? Would anyone like to do that for comparison, hey how about a new fred and posting your times for both routes? thumbup1.gif

Boyes doesn't make very much difference, the distances are pretty much the same and there isnt very much climbing on Boyes. In the top bunches perhaps only 1 - 2 minutes. In a very Similar state of fitness I did 2:58:34 over Boyes in 2011 and 2:58:04 in 2008. (which was the last Main Road ride I think). Obviously there are other factors to consider, like wind and the "mood" of the group, but the pace over Boyes is always pretty flat out. I think the difference comes in the later stage of the ride, on Suikerbossie or perhaps Chappies, when the extra efford to go over Boyes catches up if you are not as fit as you should have been

I did a 6h30 min Argus and a 2h50 min 94.7blush.png.... Ok the Argus was my first time on a bike. From what i remember the Argus has a lot of flat sections where it is possible to get the avg speed up. While the 94.7 was very little flat sections. Also the altitude does strange things to a persons body. Start group is the most important thing, my current problem is getting good start groups/seeding cause i've only just started cycling.

Just do group rides and intervals with a lot of speed work. I'm sure gaining fitness is different for everybody. i'm 16 ( well soon 17) so i guess its easier if you're younger

Good luck thumbup1.gif

P.s next years Argus should be the year of PBs without boys drive. The year after that will probably be up Oukaaps

Edited by Leg breaker

In 2011 i rode a 2h38 94.7(A bunch) followed by lots of speed work and hills through Dec / Jan and all the fast races in Feb to ride a 2h58 in this years argus (B bunch) - You are gonna have put in some work, find a fast group like ICG or the Engen 2 Engen during the week and hang on for dear life, it will pay off come March.

Edited by Audible Anarchy

Shall we try again dipslick? It will be my 1st Argus

i am there like a bear,,,, booked flights everything......i am in

Theoretically, barring overhead conditions & fitness, etc, there seems to be a 25 minute difference.

94.7 = 2:35 >>> August = 3:00

Edited by Puncheur

So having achieved a 2:58 at the 94.7 (more like 93.3). What are the stats for a sub 3 result on the Argus?

First 2 thirds on Sundays ride was average on 34k's/hr and ended around 31km/hr during and after N14.

Averaging close to 37k's/hr on the Argus seems rather ambitious?

[/quotE]

putting it mildly RATHER AMBITIOUS whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gifwhistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif

Ascent this year was 1163m on the 94.7

So, less ascent for Argus as well.

Although Argus don't have Boyes drive this year - so, ascent will be slightly less than 1319m.

If you not in a better group than E I think you can pretty much forget even with perfect weather.

Boyes doesn't make very much difference, the distances are pretty much the same and there isnt very much climbing on Boyes. In the top bunches perhaps only 1 - 2 minutes. In a very Similar state of fitness I did 2:58:34 over Boyes in 2011 and 2:58:04 in 2008. (which was the last Main Road ride I think). Obviously there are other factors to consider, like wind and the "mood" of the group, but the pace over Boyes is always pretty flat out. I think the difference comes in the later stage of the ride, on Suikerbossie or perhaps Chappies, when the extra efford to go over Boyes catches up if you are not as fit as you should have been

i dont know

I spent lots of time wondering about this a year or so ago.

Boys is 1km longer AND includes some climbs AND a steep descent with a sharp corner and speed limit.

Going around the coast is shorter and doesnt have any of the above problems.

I also back then spent time comparing the pro's times from multiple events and I worked out for the top guys it would have hit them with about 3 mins.

For the normal riders like us (well 2.50 normal 100km races kind of rider) with our starting group and we are generally a couple of tons heavier than the racing snakes we could be looking up to a 7 to 10 min penalty.

Even if you are a strong rider if you are stuck in the bunch when you get there you are stuck. You are going to get caught up at snails pace on the climbs. If the SE is pumping the last thing you want to do is attack up the left so generally everyone just pushes to the right and slows down.

For the downhill everyone gets scared of the chop in front of you that is doing something weird and the whole pace stays lank slow.

Look at it this way as well - around the coast you will definitely average at least 40 for the one km stretch. (us normal guys)

On the mountain that average could drop to 20 and then it is a km longer as well.

But what I would love to see to settle it nicely.

Someone with a power meter go and ride both routes as you would - one over boyes then go back and ride the same around the coast. On the same day within a fairly short amount of time. Ride at a normal persons pace like maybe 200watts for each route and lets see what happens.

What this wont give us though is the bunching slow down that always happens on boys but effort wise it will tell us what is happening.