Rant: Bryton software

Christopher Brunsdon

I've had a 30 for over a year. You soon understand that Bryton uses it's clients as software guinea pigs. We're always waiting for the next firmware upgrade in the hope that some promised feature will actually work.

I've given up on the navigation, and I'm using mine as a glorified bike computer. The only good thing about these units is the battery life.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly a Garmin costs a tad more than the R1400 I paid for the Bryton

Suppose you get what you pay for ...

I dont really use the navigation system, but I can say that I am quite happy with my Bryton 30, which i have had for more than a year now.

I use it a lot to track my fitness and to see how i progress during the year.

Suppose you get what you pay for ...

you are correct i got exactly what i was after with what i paid for

Mine does everything my mates garmin does and he has to charge his during a stage race while i dont. Have used the navigation with no problems

Huh...I am getting conflicting reports from people.

Ok from the horse's mouth can the bryton 35 do the following(these are non neg for me and until then I won't consider a bryton even if its 100 rand)

*Create interval based workouts on unit...ie warmup zone for 5 min...6 x BU intervals with 1 min rest between(each with their own zones)..cooldown. Alarm when I am not in zones.

*1 sec data capturing interval vs smart

*Download a course from another person's ride at a venue giving me breadcrumb directions on my unit as well as virtual partner

*GPX or FIT file capturing and being able to download straight from device into 3rd party software like sporttracks without any conversion hack or internet connection.

*Firmware releases that doesn't crash or make other features unstable.

*Ant+ compatible

*De-activate GPS sensor when on indoor trainer

*Custom screen layout of metrics.

Yes to all the questions below, we are constantly improving on the features and functionality and with the most recent updates we are looking at overcoming the problem most of face and that is data speed and connectivity.

Huh...I am getting conflicting reports from people.

Ok from the horse's mouth can the bryton 35 do the following(these are non neg for me and until then I won't consider a bryton even if its 100 rand)

*Create interval based workouts on unit...ie warmup zone for 5 min...6 x BU intervals with 1 min rest between(each with their own zones)..cooldown. Alarm when I am not in zones.

*1 sec data capturing interval vs smart

*Download a course from another person's ride at a venue giving me breadcrumb directions on my unit as well as virtual partner

*GPX or FIT file capturing and being able to download straight from device into 3rd party software like sporttracks without any conversion hack or internet connection.

*Firmware releases that doesn't crash or make other features unstable.

*Ant+ compatible

*De-activate GPS sensor when on indoor trainer

*Custom screen layout of metrics.

Yes to all the questions below, we are constantly improving on the features and functionality and with the most recent updates we are looking at overcoming the problem most of face and that is data speed and connectivity.

The biggest problem I have had is picking up a GPS signal. Yesterday I ran for about 2km before the signal was picked up. Any improvement on this in the pipeline.

I have the latest firmware updates ect?

Can the 35 do interval workouts? - not that i need it - just not seen it

Also i understood the 35 was getting discontinued and replaced with a different model?

Oh no rouxtjie you will have to buy one now ph34r.png

Looking forward to the new Bryton software launch and I don't even own one (I am from the other dark side) but not that the GF even knows how her bryton uploads she does know how slow it is cause I can't get her strava details quick enough mellow.png

That is very good to know and has always stopped me from considering bryton. Their battery life is great and their prices are good, when I am in the market next year, I will defnitely have a looksee

Oh no rouxtjie you will have to buy one now ph34r.png

Looking forward to the new Bryton software launch and I don't even own one (I am from the other dark side) but not that the GF even knows how her bryton uploads she does know how slow it is cause I can't get her strava details quick enough mellow.png

I am looking at the edge 800 currently but didn't consider the bryton for the reasons above, I might change my mind now. Would like to try Kerry's out for a ride...ie do ride, check all the func that I require is there and do an upload into sporttracks. Proof is in the pudding like they say

I keep telling you but you dont wanna hear! eek.gif

After reading all the problems with Bryton I am surely not buying one with my Christmas bonus, Garmin for me thank you.

I am looking at the edge 800 currently but didn't consider the bryton for the reasons above, I might change my mind now. Would like to try Kerry's out for a ride...ie do ride, check all the func that I require is there and do an upload into sporttracks. Proof is in the pudding like they say

I am sure she will lend it to you, but I think she said 1 beer per km of use. You can pay me half a beer per km of use and I will sneak it out the house for you to use.....thumbup1.gif

The biggest problem I have had is picking up a GPS signal. Yesterday I ran for about 2km before the signal was picked up. Any improvement on this in the pipeline.

I have the latest firmware updates ect?

I think sometimes it depends on how full the device is. I know from my garmin it can take a while to pick up when i have a lot of data on it. Also some areas seem funny. At home I can pick up quickly but always when leaving work it takes 2-3km. Have not checked the Bryton but the garmin is doing that. So far the GF's Bryton seems to pick up the same time as my garmin.

Just checked DC rainmaker and can't find a review for the bryton...pity cause I would love his unbiased review. Hint hint...maybe send him a loan one ballistic bike. His opinion and review will speak a thousand words for your product...good or bad.

I am sure she will lend it to you, but I think she said 1 beer per km of use. You can pay me half a beer per km of use and I will sneak it out the house for you to use.....thumbup1.gif

deal...I want to have both units side by side for one ride...do exactly the same...see which ones picks up satellites first...accuracy of HR....speed and distance + upload into sporttracks, then create a course of workout and follow it. Maybe a loops around the block will do