Ok let's hear it vangaalens,laps experiences,gossip??

DIPSLICK

Arrived there sick and left in the same condition. Did my one and only lap yesterday morning and stopped a few times as I thought I was going to chunder.

Never got to test my new light. :(

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived there sick and left in the same condition. Did my one and only lap yesterday morning and stopped a few times as I thought I was going to chunder.

Never got to test my new light. sad.png

I also thought i was going to chunder during most of my laps, but that was the booze...biggrin.png

Hard luck on being sick.

Never got to test my new light. sad.png

Felt really sorry for you man. When you pulled the "Turtle" I could see you were close to dead or already turning into a zombie.

Glad you could get up at least and do 1 lap.

Next time stay away from that place at that airport.

I also thought i was going to chunder during most of my laps, but that was the booze...biggrin.png

Hard luck on being sick.

Did it have anything to do with that Camelbak bladder by chance?

Did it have anything to do with that Camelbak bladder by chance?

Yep. The gane was an absolute killer!

How you feeling this morning? You look properly worked over by the end of the weekend.

Yep. The gane was an absolute killer!

How you feeling this morning? You look properly worked over by the end of the weekend.

Not feeling too bad this morning. At the end of Saturday my legs had all the power left by my lower back didn't. Could only manage two laps at night which sucked. Would have done more if I could.

At some point on Sunday morning I didn't know if my arms were covered in mud or blood. Took a bad spill before the transition area and cut my arm up quite a bit on a concrete block and also slipped down a bank trying to hike up when the trail got soggy from the rain.

Hurts like a mofo this morning.

I would like to say its the best race I have ever done. Big up to Bicycling and The Paige Project. Van Gaalens is a MTB'ers Heaven and it really lived up to it in all the Weather conditions.

I will be back back next year.

My experience:

Had a great time, course was perfect and catering sucked.

The bolt securing my seat broke on Saturday and I anxiously ran around looking for another. The youngster from Trinity Cycles offered me his post but it didn't fit.

BUT all was not lost - Dangle came to the rescue. Went over to where Thug, slick and pals were camped and get this - Grant Usher removed the bolt from Amy's roadbike and gave it to me. I couldn't believe it! Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Good meeting you G-Unit, see you at atta.

dipslick I couldn't find you and smolster I didn't see you, oh well next time.

Cool pic Dangle and thanks again for saving my race! thumbup1.gif

Also big thumbs up to the guys and gals camping with me, I realise I'm a cityboi and not really a camper, therefore maybe not properly prepared. I did remember the jager but forgot the glasses ph34r.png

My experience:

Had a great time, course was perfect and catering sucked.

The bolt securing my seat broke on Saturday and I anxiously ran around looking for another. The youngster from Trinity Cycles offered me his post but it didn't fit.

BUT all was not lost - Dangle came to the rescue. Went over to where Thug, slick and pals were camped and get this - Grant Usher removed the bolt from Amy's roadbike and gave it to me. I couldn't believe it! Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Good meeting you G-Unit, see you at atta.

dipslick I couldn't find you and smolster I didn't see you, oh well next time.

Cool pic Dangle and thanks again for saving my race! thumbup1.gif

Also big thumbs up to the guys and gals camping with me, I realise I'm a cityboi and not really a camper, therefore maybe not properly prepared. I did remember the jager but forgot the glasses ph34r.png

Likewise, was nice to meet you.

Without starting an unnecessary conversation I have one person to thank hugely for helping me to get back on the bike and also enjoy the ride/route. None other than Karma. (Those who know how slow I went will know how frustrating it must have been for him.)

He did the 1st lap with me to make sure I will be able to do it on my own (without falling) and then the 2 night laps and the last lap too. We both got some blood and bruises though and it needed some on route strapping, but all fun and games. I did a Tokyo Drift move on my last lap which the people behind me found entertaining at least.

I have once again learnt something – it doesn’t matter how strong one’s mind can be, if your body is not in working condition you cannot do what you want to do. I felt like such a ‘sissie’ because my mind knew I could do better, I can go faster, but the body did not agree.

I love the whole concept of pushing oneself and I will be back next year to improve my result.

I think the route was great for a 24hour, not TOO tough but challenging enough.

I had a great time!!

Catering didn't bother me, took all my own stuff.

Entered solo (SS), much better then team option of last year as I could ride with mates or alone.

Route, just like last year was awesome!

Rode my last lap on Saturday , round 8, in my Santa suit.... wasn't planning on stopping then, but I had a problem with the case of Guinness I took with... I just couldn't stop drinking from it!biggrin.png

then started again just after 4 yesterday morning.

Less rain would've been nicer i guess, but it wasn't that bad at all..

10/10 weekend for me!

Anybody know if the guy that went down on the the first river crossing is ok?

He was pretty badly in shock and bleeding quite a bit when we passed the scene.

Big up to the riders helping him as for the paramedics that did their best to get to him quickly.

He is fine. Needs some dental work but otherwise he will be okay and live to ride another 24hour day.

My views on the event.

The MC is a PITA, no easier way for me to put it.

The guy selling rolls and buns was expensive, people are happy to pay for stuff, but don't enjoy the @ss ripped out of it.

Erik could have put in an effort to keep the restaurant going till much later and operating much earlier.

The staff in the shop kan bietjie maniere leer.

The organizers were dropped by people who promised all and sundry, FFS people, if you are going to commit to something, then follow through, you might look like an all promising hero, but you cast a very negative shadow over the organizers.

The 100 Plus was rationed after 10:30 from what I saw in fear of their not being enough for the next day (those who were unhappy with this, bring some stuff for yourself next time for that little hour before you hit bed)

The group that spoke at the top of their voices and pissed out of their minds till after 2:00 am. get in line with the rest that needs to learn some manners.

Dimitri's bike was stolen, what a big let down thumbdown.gif

The rain might have cast a slight damper on the proceedings yesterday but that is unfortunately out of the organizers control.

Omni-Motion have been organizing this event for the last 13 years, to some it might look like it's all about the money, well go ahead and organize an event of this magnitude and pay some money out of your own pocket just so that you can offer the local mountain bikers a weekend of great riding.

Omni-Motion were let down by promised sponsors and people who committed to being a part of the event, again, you made them look bad thumbdown.gif

As much as I am glad that we have more 24 hour events on the calendar, I also don't see the need for 2 events a week apart.

It waters down the level of competition and it also waters down the numbers.

Perhaps having them further apart will be a much more viable option.

Lastly, the course was great.

I went out and ran the course on Saturday afternoon and have to say that it's the best course I have yet seen for a 24 hour event, fast, smooth and not technical with fantastic flow.

Riders were truly blessed to be riding a course like that.

Well done to Omni-Motion again for a great event.

From what I saw much fun was to be had and there was also some great camaraderie amongst the riders.

Great event. Great track. Friendly people. The best. Good value for money, so no gripes from about lack of prize money as I normally contribute heavily towards those :) And the prize giving was nice and quick so 100%.

So much more fun doing it in a team, my daughter was the best team mate ever! A completely different event compared to doing it solo. (Respect to those slogging it out on their own!)

Great route, great venue. Thanks to all.

My views on the event.

The MC is a PITA, no easier way for me to put it.

The guy selling rolls and buns was expensive, people are happy to pay for stuff, but don't enjoy the @ss ripped out of it.

Erik could have put in an effort to keep the restaurant going till much later and operating much earlier.

The staff in the shop kan bietjie maniere leer.

The organizers were dropped by people who promised all and sundry, FFS people, if you are going to commit to something, then follow through, you might look like an all promising hero, but you cast a very negative shadow over the organizers.

The 100 Plus was rationed after 10:30 from what I saw in fear of their not being enough for the next day (those who were unhappy with this, bring some stuff for yourself next time for that little hour before you hit bed)

The group that spoke at the top of their voices and pissed out of their minds till after 2:00 am. get in line with the rest that needs to learn some manners.

Dimitri's bike was stolen, what a big let down thumbdown.gif

The rain might have cast a slight damper on the proceedings yesterday but that is unfortunately out of the organizers control.

Omni-Motion have been organizing this event for the last 13 years, to some it might look like it's all about the money, well go ahead and organize an event of this magnitude and pay some money out of your own pocket just so that you can offer the local mountain bikers a weekend of great riding.

Omni-Motion were let down by promised sponsors and people who committed to being a part of the event, again, you made them look bad thumbdown.gif

As much as I am glad that we have more 24 hour events on the calendar, I also don't see the need for 2 events a week apart.

It waters down the level of competition and it also waters down the numbers.

Perhaps having them further apart will be a much more viable option.

Lastly, the course was great.

I went out and ran the course on Saturday afternoon and have to say that it's the best course I have yet seen for a 24 hour event, fast, smooth and not technical with fantastic flow.

Riders were truly blessed to be riding a course like that.

Well done to Omni-Motion again for a great event.

From what I saw much fun was to be had and there was also some great camaraderie amongst the riders.

Bad news to hear someone's bike was stolen at the event.