Wines2Whales 2013

Jaco-fiets

Does anybody know what the entry fee for this race will be 2013? I would like to do 1 or 2 shortish stage races in 2013. It will be 1 or 2 of the following:

1. Grape Escape

2. Wines2whales

3. Dr Evil classic

What you guys suggest?

Im looking at doing the houwhoek tour...from what i heard it does almost the same route as the wines2wales second and third stage.

Seems to me also W2W is the pick of the lot (haven't done it yet though, on the list)

For "shortish" + something different + good value for money I would add Lighthouse2Lighthouse & Hell&Back to the list (however neither is famous for their technical singletrack and I know that is very important to a lot of us)

Im looking at doing the houwhoek tour...from what i heard it does almost the same route as the wines2wales second and third stage.

Stage2 and 3 worthwhile at w2w .Those man made single track on day one only irritated me

Stage2 and 3 worthwhile at w2w .Those man made single track on day one only irritated me

Agreed, day 2 and 3 were AMAZING...

Day 1 - not so much

Does anybody know what the entry fee for this race will be 2013? I would like to do 1 or 2 shortish stage races in 2013. It will be 1 or 2 of the following:

1. Grape Escape

2. Wines2whales

3. Dr Evil classic

What you guys suggest?

WINES2WHALES!

Seems to me also W2W is the pick of the lot (haven't done it yet though, on the list)

For "shortish" + something different + good value for money I would add Lighthouse2Lighthouse & Hell&Back to the list (however neither is famous for their technical singletrack and I know that is very important to a lot of us)

I'll do hell anyway. It is cheap so don't need to plan ahead for that. The others though need some planning

Come on now, be honest! It's just that you suffered so badly on day 1! wink.png Come to think of it, Hans se Kop "irritated" me as well.biggrin.png

New event orgnanised by Dryland called the Tankwa Trek. In Feb in the Koue Bokkeveld. Looks interesting but at R 8200/ team I am put off.

They're partly punting it as an ideal training event for the Epic, which uses the farm as a venue next year. I'll wait for the Epic and see the place then.

Consider the Cape Country, a new event for 2013 which starts at Houw Hoek and ends in Knysna. We did the "test run" this year and it's the ideal middle between W2W rustigheid and Epic number of days in the saddle. Nothing hardcore, the CC will have no prize money.We all enjoyed it.

If the Gods of Money are smiling upon me in 2013 (at the moment they're not), I'll opt for the Transalp and try and do one overseas event a year. Have already given away my Sani entry and could well ditch the W2W entry too.

Do the W2W it is awesome.. Dont waste money on grape escape

Is Great Escape really a waste? Contemplated the 2 day race.

I recently started again so prefer that the race needs to be later in the year.

to answer the original question we'd probably need to know what time of year you have allocated, and what sort of ride you want to be doing. fun or serious?!

New event orgnanised by Dryland called the Tankwa Trek. In Feb in the Koue Bokkeveld. Looks interesting but at R 8200/ team I am put off.

That's sort of standard pricing for a 3 day pairs event, innit? Cheaper than epic anyway, but understand why you wouldn't want to ride it twice in such a short space of time.

I'm no geographist, but shouldn't the Tankwa Trek actually take place in the tankwa karoo?

Then there's the transkaroo, which is actually in the Tankwa which should really be called the trans Tankwa.

the first edition of the freedom challenge was actually called the transkaroo(.co.za) the website is gone, but this still sits in the archive - http://152.111.1.87/argief/berigte/dieburger/2003/04/21/DB/3LDN/07.html