Besides the obvious

Mark_48

I am thinking of getting into Mountain Biking, what I would like to know is "Besides the obvious- rear shock"what are the differences between Hardtail & Softail. What are the benefits of a hardtail over softail or visa versa.

you can win an olympic gold on a dual suspension.......

there is also a difference between a softail and a dual suspension......but lets not complicate things

hardtail = pedalling efficiency. makes for a bumpier ride, but that experience alone will teach you smoother line choice and how to use your body esp your legs, as the other suspension. Other obvious benefits are lighter weight (always handy for acceleration and climbing), and less maintenance (shock maintenance/upgrade/replacement).

Guest TiaanMTBMadness

Wait for it... He'll be asking for the wheel size next.

you can win an olympic gold on a dual suspension.......

there is also a difference between a softail and a dual suspension......but lets not complicate things

Out of interest, who makes softails nowadays?

I find it interesting how everybody seems to miss the most important reason for owning a dual suspension bike.

While it certainly does add comfort to the ride, it also aid greatly in not only allowing you to ride faster over rough and technical terrain but also aids greatly in providing the rear end of the bike with extra grip in corners.

Buy one, ride one, try and remove the smile from your face.

Moots, technically Cannondale as well with their 26r Scalpel.

The Moots YBB - still one of my all-time favourites after all these years.

One day...

The Moots YBB - still one of my all-time favourites after all these years.

One day...

Rode the 29r one at Holla, really nice, was pleasantly surprised!

I find it interesting how everybody seems to miss the most important reason for owning a dual suspension bike.

While it certainly does add comfort to the ride, it also aid greatly in not only allowing you to ride faster over rough and technical terrain but also aids greatly in providing the rear end of the bike with extra grip in corners.

Buy one, ride one, try and remove the smile from your face.

true - but i still think its important to ride hardtail to improve your skill level. I think it is better to buy a hardtail and ride it for two years and then upgrade. This will give you a two year opportunity to also learn about the different components etc so that when you buy the duelli, you know what you are looking for.

Even limited travel rear suspension makes a comfort and handling difference when belting down a long bumpy downhill, I sure notice it when I forget my lookout is on.

A lot of racers seem to choose hard tail for weight reasons. But its a good place to start, one can spend as much on a rear shock as a complete entry level hard tail.

Edited by kosmonooit

I'll second everyone who said start on a hardtail. It'll teach you to pick your lines instead of just moosing over everything in your path. Once you've learned to be smooth on a HT, you'll fly on a DS.

Also, there's less to worry about on a HT. Pivot bearings, shock pressures, maintenance etc etc.

I have both and find I still ride the HT quite a bit. For long distance goofing around I use the DS, for shorter rides (30km or so) on dirt roads and some track in my area I like the HT.

One thing I am not so keen on with the DS (and this is due to the design I am sure) is that sometimes I hit the crank when going over obstacles due to the compressing motion of the frame.