Fake Pina's on Gumtree

MTB_Roadie

Do you know why a can's lid is smaller than the diameter of the can? The top and bottom have to hold all the pressure without failing so the bottom is dented inwards. The top has to be flat so needs a much thicker material so they taper the top of the can and save costs on the thicker top by reducing its size.

But were they chinese cans? whistling.gif

Interesting fact though!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly, we use a similar process to protect some of our IP. The beauty is they are protected from when they lodge the PCT patent application + others.

We can only keep it going for around 3 years, not sure how long Coke can do it if it is correct

Also they do not have to reveal the exact recipe but rather and example of a recipe to prove the claims they are make re the product/process etc being novel and provides some advantage other than financial

Isn't it also something to do with the patent expiring after some years and then it will become common knowledge? Can you patent a recipe? A process or procedure, yes...

Actually a number of people in this thread admitted to buying fake DVD's. Once again you only consider manufacturing costs ... if picknpay sell a loaf of bread for R8 but it costs R5 to make they dont make a profit of R3. You have to consider staff wages, rentals, marketing, advertising, distribution, storage ect.

yes but you assume those are all necessary. They are not always useful nor desirable. Under a new direct model we buy from manufacturer online, like we can off chinese websites. Where have all these layers gone? It's just the same as CDs and MP3s, books and Amazon etc.

There are technologies that will remove all these layers or collapse them pretty quickly.

Pinarello is a private company and therefore I can't find their financial information, but let's look at Shimano (which also produces other products although bicycle parts are still 80% of sales). I'm doing this because it seems some of you says it ok to steal, because the companies make too much money.

Year ended Dec-11:

Assets Y216,000M

Sales Y221,770M

Net Income Y19,862M

That gives a net income margin of 9%. Now I wonder how many companies you hubbers work for sell products for less or more than a 9% net income margin?

Scarily, most of the guys posting on here about value for money, and how they aren't willing to buy this because it's to expensive, and someone's getting rich etc, etc, etc, don't even know what a net profit margin implies, and/or even what the net profit of the company they are working for is....

You need to dumb down your arguments....

Actually a number of people in this thread admitted to buying fake DVD's. Once again you only consider manufacturing costs ... if picknpay sell a loaf of bread for R8 but it costs R5 to make they dont make a profit of R3. You have to consider staff wages, rentals, marketing, advertising, distribution, storage ect.

Best not to use sense and facts to argue with an IQ of 2.

Yep. Not discernable. How many fakes have you ridden? If you can tell a difference it might be because of that PowerBalance you are wearing. Apparently that also makes a discernable difference.

Azonic serious question : Are you trolling? I have ridden both. Your suggestion that you will not feel a difference is waaaaayyyyy off the mark. The fakes using the same molds? *yawn. Same factory *yawn. Same carbon *yawn...

Lance didn't dope, you know

Edited by bontie

Did you know Coca Cola is still patent pending? The reason? If they actually patent it then the recipe needs to be revealed in order to ensure it is not copied. So they just keep pushing the patent process back. When it is pending it does not have to be revealed.

Four main forms of IP

These are four completely different things

• Patents
  • Trademarks
  • Copyrights
  • Trade Secrets (the formula for Coca-Cola)

Coca-Cola as an Example

Coca-Cola has a registered Patent for their Coke Bottle Design.

Coca-Cola has a registered Trade Mark for their Name.

Coca-Cola has a registered Trade Secret for their Coke Recipe.

Three completely different things.

Nowdays, everything I am writing is protected by Copyright automatically.

I wrote it, so you can't copy this word for word.

Maybe that is why we were made to write reports in school; taking information from different texts, and combining them in our own words.

Does Coca-Cola hide their patent(bottle design number)?

The Coca-Cola recipe is hidden; it is a *Trade Secret*, not a Patent.

www.uspto.gov

In some cases, you could keep your invention a secret like the Coca-Cola Company keeps the formula for Coke a secret. This is called a trade secret.

The formula for Coca-Cola is the most famous trade secret.

Azonic seriosu question : Are you trolling? I have ridden both. Your suugestion that you will not feel a difference is waaaaayyyyy off the mark. The fackes using the same molds? *yawn. Same factory *yawn. Sam ecarbon *yawn...

Lance didn't dope, you know

Agree with above 100%

Must add, everyone doped

Four main forms of IP

These are four completely different things

• Patents
  • Trademarks
  • Copyrights
  • Trade Secrets (the formula for Coca-Cola)

Coca-Cola as an Example

Coca-Cola has a registered Patent for their Coke Bottle Design.

Coca-Cola has a registered Trade Mark for their Name.

Coca-Cola has a registered Trade Secret for their Coke Recipe.

Three completely different things.

Nowdays, everything I am writing is protected by Copyright automatically.

I wrote it, so you can't copy this word for word.

Maybe that is why we were made to write reports in school; taking information from different texts, and combining them in our own words.

Does Coca-Cola hide their patent(bottle design number)?

The Coca-Cola recipe is hidden; it is a *Trade Secret*, not a Patent.

www.uspto.gov

In some cases, you could keep your invention a secret like the Coca-Cola Company keeps the formula for Coke a secret. This is called a trade secret.

The formula for Coca-Cola is the most famous trade secret.

Where does a brand fit in?

You can buy a genuine Rolex in China for cheap, the guys make them in the factory after hours and smuggle them out whistling.gif

You can buy a genuine Rolex in China for cheap, the guys make them in the factory after hours and smuggle them out whistling.gif

Nobody notices them smuggling them out, they just wear them on their wrist

The cans all seem the same to me? Also how could they, for example have a patent on the size of the base of the bottle for example?

I would imagine it how the different features work together more than one item such as base. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9NbAwIxlVP0/UHRz-ZhHZXI/AAAAAAAAuv4/naLRhR3cLP0/s1600/cokepatent.jpg

Agree cans feel the same :-)

No painting is "worth" R 100m, or R 1m for that matter. It is only worth what some klutz is willing to pay for it. Help me to quantify the value of art. It is all a con.

Dear aptly named, it not what you or I am willing to pay for it but what the rightfull owners want for the painting, IP on the Pinarella, Levi brandname etc.

Same as if I want 50 k for my iPad, sure its silly, still does not give you the right to steal it. Not exactly going to stand up in court and start arguing it actually only cost 8 and now this klutz wanted 50 k to sell it so I was fully justified to take it.

Serious? But atleast they are real!

yes but you assume those are all necessary. They are not always useful nor desirable. Under a new direct model we buy from manufacturer online, like we can off chinese websites. Where have all these layers gone? It's just the same as CDs and MP3s, books and Amazon etc.

There are technologies that will remove all these layers or collapse them pretty quickly.

Most of what I mentioned are minimum requirements to run an international company. Its not the same - in the case of amazon ect the artist actually get some of the proceeds, in the case of a fake pina i highly doubt they send a portion of the cash to them?

I dont think any one says its ok to steal , I think it boils down to a 50k Pina being sold for 120k The opportunity for the majority of cyclist to own a Pina is taken away by the massive mark ups.

So I go back to my point, it's ok to steal if it's too expensive? And has anybody seen their profits and margins? Think about what car you drive. Would you buy a fake ferrari at a tenth of the normal retail price?