Disc brake Equipped Road bikes

The Smoovf

I dont see the need. What next 1.5 inch tyres for better grip?

28c tyres have been shown to be more comfortable thumbup1.gif

Having the 35 to 42 width cyclocross tyres on a road bike used for commuting does make sense, they do take more punch and will not be destroyed as easily by potholes.wink.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that No Calves. Posted wrong pic initially.

Get hold of Azonic...he has some or other chinese web store that sell disc friendly road frames. There is also some manufacturers that make hydraulic road brakes...

If I had the cash I would do it.

I still don’t see the need. I have many sub 3 hour races in both the wet and dry. Brakes are not the issue as my dura ace units are strong, grip on wet and dry roads is the issue. Disks will simply add weigh,

Cycle cross is a different issue, disks will help a lot.

Edited by BMXER

I think that this is the trend that we will see in the future. That and Tubeless road tires, lighter rims with less braking surface and the like. And man its cool.Have a look at some of the disc specific CX rigs out there. These are just what i want (Devinci does a great one)

I am starting my Cyclocross bike fund as we speak, with disc tabs. And I will sell all my road machines and replace all of them with the CX rig. One of those Chinese frames with disc specific tabs is in my future.

Imagine a road rig which you can go offroad on - man that is a great idea.

Right now AFAIK the problem is that there are only Avid mechanicals out there as brakes, other than the stupid expensive Formula's that are on the Colnago C59.

BTW: Read the article in the Bicycling magazine (USA edition) about the C59 where he raves about the brakes and what they can do.

Here to stay and trend of the future. Like 29ers, tubeless and electronic shifting....

Carbon rims + cork brake pads in the wet eek.gif ? might as well hug passing lamp posts to slow yourself down.

Remember Europe has a bit more rain than we do ?

You can't go on indefinitely increasing brake force. As it is, we have enough force to overcome the limiting factor - overturning momentum. Discs can't overcome that problem so it cannot be an improvement on that front.

In my world rims fatigue at the spoke holes long before they wear through on the brake track.

Wet weather stopping has been solved with improved brake pads from Koolstop.

Hmm, not so sure about that. Braking force requiredis a function of your inertia, which is directly related to weight. If you a a 68 kg race snake then maybe. But a 90 kg chap has a lot more to stop.

Me, I descend like an anvil off a cliff ( and climb like an anvil pushed up a cliff).

I want all I can get when it comes to brakes.

Hmm, not so sure about that. Braking force requiredis a function of your inertia, which is directly related to weight. If you a a 68 kg race snake then maybe. But a 90 kg chap has a lot more to stop.

Me, I descend like an anvil off a cliff ( and climb like an anvil pushed up a cliff).

I want all I can get when it comes to brakes.

I am absolutely sure that we have more than enough braking force at present. And there is proof. Since traction on the front wheel is for all intends and purposes unlimited (you cannot skid your front wheel on a roadbike on dry asphalt), should you apply enough force (braking power if you wish), overturning momentum kicks in and you go over the bars. Therefore, the limiting factor is overturning momentum, not brake force.

This is the very reason our bikes look like they do today. Highwheels overturned just too easily and the present day Rover Safety bike was invented. Although it overturned far less easily, that overturning momentum is still the limiting factor.

If a motorbike or bicycle could skid its front wheel, motorcyclists and BMXers wouldn't have been able to do stoppies.

You seem to feel that weight is an issue. It is not, or at least not for the average rider. On tandems where overturning momentum is not an issue, brake force comes to play and here poor rim brakes quickly show up, hence V-brakes with paralellogram designs or disc brakes make sense. Even on a tandem, skidding the front wheel is neigh impossible since traction is not a limiting factor when stopping a bike under ideal conditions.

Edited by Johan Bornman

Wonder what the weight difference would be.

PROs will use it - once the regulations change - as they have to use big azz stems and other weighty parts to get their bikes up to 6.8 kgs anyway.

E

• 5 months later...

Eye of the beholder Wez-O? I really like the look of discs on a road bike.

Gotta agree with Smoovf here, disk brakes look good on a road bike.

Eye of the beholder Wez-O? I really like the look of discs on a road bike.

Gotta agree with Smoovf here, disk brakes look good on a road bike.

Mountain bikers :whistling:

I think that as the technology matures it will match rim brake weight or even be slightly better for the full package of wheel plus brake - especially as rim weights will come down significantly when they lose the braking surfaces requirement.

At the same weight, then the disk brake wheel will have an advantage because the closer the weight is to the centre of the wheel the better - inertia wise.

The other advantage of a disk brake wheel is that a slightly out of true rim will not affect braking performance - and given our potholed roads that's a big plus for me - limping home with a wobbly wheel and no real brakes is not fun.