Tokai tree felling: Snake trails

(Deon)

Saw this coming.

What I find interesting is that PoS had no idea until today, thought he was close to SANparks as he is/was the self elected Tokai chairman.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this coming.

What I find interesting is that PoS had no idea until today, thought he was close to SANparks as he is/was the self elected Tokai chairman.

Dude, he had an idea. The announcement that it was imminent and starting NOW was made today. Go back to your hole.

EDIT: We ALL knew it would happen sometime. The actual date, however, was not known. People sometimes do not talk to each other... And not "self-elected" at all. Elected by AMARider. What is it with you and antagonistic posts & personal attacks, dude?

Edited by cptmayhem

Coming down from Silvermine this morning, really looking forward to these sections of singletrack, only to find them closed. Spoilt my whole ride thumbdown.gif . Good thing I managed to get some time on them yesterdaythumbup1.gif .

Saw this coming.

Realy is that the only contribution you can make? You don't stay in SA don't ride tokai anymore..... But you keep on with your )$&@$en vendeta against POS and tokai. No trail building from you, no help with negotiations, no positive words, no sorry about the snakes. Just I saw it coming and POS this and that....... Let it go man, you are wasting your time and adding fuel to a fire.

And here I was planning to go for a nice ride tomorrow... sigh I loved those trails... hopefully its not that bad, I mean Vasbyt is still an awesome track, so maybe after the felling it will change things up a little. One things for sure LOADS of sunscreen.

It is unfortunate,but no matter how romantic the pines are they have stuffed up the soil and it will take years to rehabilitate.

It is very interesting how the whole cycle of fynbos works....which includes fire btw.But that is a subject for another day

We will all have to wear suncream :-)

My wife and I were hosted by Frank from Misty Mountain (Tsitsikamma, near Storms River) on the 30th of December and he took us through the Eastern black route where they have been felling lately. Has changed the whole landscape of the area. BUT!! He pointed out that THERE ARE NO BIRDS in the plantations as NO PINES ARE INDIGENOUS TO AFRICA, and the environmental impact of the pine plantations was actually quite destructive on the indigenous flora and fauna of the region.

Sad day but guess we knew it was coming..

excl.png I have just been informed that Mamba, Boomslang and Puffadder are being felled. I am heading up there now to see the extent but brace yourselves for the worst! excl.png

Please note that these trails will be closed for the duration; best get your ride in in the direction of Silvermine as it probably means the Jeeptrack towards the mast will be closed, as well as the levels below.

Good news is that this week the Section ranger and I will be speccing the Cobra and Rinkhals trails for realignment!! Budget is set and funds secured. Will see about squeezing in a few changes to the trails being felled right now too.

sad.png

Sad news indeed...

Will boulders be affected or just the snake trails ?

Maybe the boulders trail could be improved and extended with additonal features installed to make up for the lost of the snake trails? Some of the sections are very rocky/technical at the moment and some easier smoother diverts could be a good idea. Is it possible to start a new trail above boulders to link up one long trail all the way down from that side of the mountain ?

@kellyslater: depends on what the mandate of the current EMP is, not sure it allows for new trails to be built....but existing ones can be maintained. This is obviously trying to be addressed in the EMP revision currently happening, but it takes time...to much time it seems. However red tape has its own calendar.

Sad to see the snake trails go, they have been the staple of Tokia for years. Also frustrating to see that the owners of the trees are not prepared to fell in a way that can "somewhat" retain the basic trails layout and allow for a quicker rebuild.

On the flip side, imagine the possibilities for the new trails that are being planned! Yes they will take more sculpting and planning to reduce the wear and tear leading to sandy soil of the area....bu it could lead to some special creations in the future. So maybe when PoS calls on us to build, we need to collect out gloves, shovels and spirits and go plow back into Tokia trails - make it 'whole' again!!!

Guest Omega Man

So maybe when PoS calls on us to build, we need to collect out gloves, shovels and spirits and go plow back into Tokia trails - make it 'whole' again!!!

Words make promises bru.

It's sad that the trees are going but we've all known this is coming. It really does highlight just how little singletrack there is in tokai tho.

My wife and I were hosted by Frank from Misty Mountain (Tsitsikamma, near Storms River) on the 30th of December and he took us through the Eastern black route where they have been felling lately. Has changed the whole landscape of the area. BUT!! He pointed out that THERE ARE NO BIRDS in the plantations as NO PINES ARE INDIGENOUS TO AFRICA, and the environmental impact of the pine plantations was actually quite destructive on the indigenous flora and fauna of the region.

No birds,no bees,no butterflies,no snakes,no moles,no tortoises ,no rooikat ,no duiker .......only mtbers whinging about their trees being chopped down

ya. all the R40's you peeps been paying is used to fell the trees.....

Huh?

Go back to sleep.

A quick inspection and a chat to Cape Pine indicates that this could take up to 2 months to complete. It is one of the oldest blocks of Pine on the hill. Cape Pine is a new American group that have bought over MTO and they are very particular about safety.. hence the request to keep all cyclists out of the area.

I'll chat to them again today and request in addition to the trails being kept clear of debris, that they are opened at 4pm when the loggers knock-off.

Just to be clear. It is the trees going, not the trail. It's like reading a eulogy for the trail when we should be morning the loss of the shade and shelter. BUT... looking at the slope and taking into account the discussion with Tony Rebelo who I invited to walk the trails in Jan 2012, this area will have natural growth similar to Afro-Montain areas found in Cecelia and Kirstenbosch - Very thick growth and an average height of 3m. Some of the natural growth in valleys can still be seen on the way to the Switchbacks/Bridal Path.

A quick inspection and a chat to Cape Pine indicates that this could take up to 2 months to complete. It is one of the oldest blocks of Pine on the hill. Cape Pine is a new American group that have bought over MTO and they are very particular about safety.. hence the request to keep all cyclists out of the area.

I'll chat to them again today and request in addition to the trails being kept clear of debris, that they are opened at 4pm when the loggers knock-off.

Just to be clear. It is the trees going, not the trail. It's like reading a eulogy for the trail when we should be morning the loss of the shade and shelter. BUT... looking at the slope and taking into account the discussion with Tony Rebelo who I invited to walk the trails in Jan 2012, this area will have natural growth similar to Afro-Montain areas found in Cecelia and Kirstenbosch - Very thick growth and an average height of 3m. Some of the natural growth in valleys can still be seen on the way to the Switchbacks/Bridal Path.

One day when I go for a ride in Tokai with my kid I will tell him about this and how it came to be. He will look up at me in gazing wonder and say "just how old are you really?" I'm all for what's right in the long run, would be nice if they could brush up on their PR to you in the least.

And here I was planning to go for a nice ride tomorrow... sigh I loved those trails... hopefully its not that bad, I mean Vasbyt is still an awesome track, so maybe after the felling it will change things up a little. One things for sure LOADS of sunscreen.

Loads!

I wonder if someone has made a brolly adapter for a helmet yet?? Portable shade..

Saw this coming.

I'm only leaving your post visible so everyone can see what an ass you are. What impresses me is that you really know just what to say to get the job done!