Ride Attakwas for Burry

Swart Kat

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sh*t, this news gives me a proper knop in the keel!!! Ek support enige iets wat daar gedoen gaan word en ek sal in elk geval met n armband di Attakwas gaan ry asook di Epic!

Guys, I was out riding in and around Cape Town the last few days... I'm shocked at how close many of the cars / taxis / trucks / busses etc. got to me! The 1.5m campaign? It sure isn't working yet! I ride VERY responsibly, and hug the curb or yellow line. No one slows down to wait until there's a safe chance to pass, they just squeeze me out! And forget about them even slowing down or stopping at yield signs or stop streets!! Until the cops take a zero-tolerance approach, nothing will change. But most (none) of them seem to even be in the slightest bit interested in protecting us out there!

From now on I will ride with a black armband everytime I go out on a ride! We really need a massive protest ride. We should get PPA involved.

I won't wear a black armband - my bike will. My Stumpie will get a black band and I'll get a SA flag on there in memory.

Regarding the 1.5m thingy - sorry to sound negative, but what's the use to make it law if they don't even enforce roadworthy vehicles. And that at least is police-able. How are they going to proof a car did not pass you at 1.5m?! Then, that's not the only danger, since the idiot that caused my crash last month simply did not know whether he was coming or going - and he was on the opposite side of the road!

I won't wear a black armband - my bike will. My Stumpie will get a black band and I'll get a SA flag on there in memory.

Regarding the 1.5m thingy - sorry to sound negative, but what's the use to make it law if they don't even enforce roadworthy vehicles. And that at least is police-able. How are they going to proof a car did not pass you at 1.5m?! Then, that's not the only danger, since the idiot that caused my crash last month simply did not know whether he was coming or going - and he was on the opposite side of the road!

How many drivers do you think have actually heard of the 1.5m campaign in reality? I've only heard of it through cycling channels - never seen or heard a word about it as a driver. Got to admit I am starting to rethink road cycling a little now - not sure I will be truly comfortable on the road at any point so debatable if that's worth it.