Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

I dont Care what anybody says, i always ride facing the oncoming traffic. That way i can see the cars coming.

I commute to work and back everyday, riding a mountain bike, 90% of the way facing oncoming traffic. However, since I am on a mtb, I mostly stick to sidewalks/cycling paths that you see in some areas in Pretoria. Pedestrians are not a problem, I just slow down when approaching them and if you ask politely they immediately make way for you. I found that when cycling with the flow of traffic most motorists will not wait until it is safe pass you, many cars come closer than 50cm to me.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in my previous post. I am riding in the direction of the oncoming traffic, but its not on the tar. Its more than 4m away from Tar, on a gravel footpath. And the only safe one to ride on. So when I have to choose between riding on the gravel path, away from the traffic, or on the tar, I rather choose the gravel option. I know many people will disagree with this.

Riding off the road is not affecting traffic whether that is cars or other cyclists. As such it is not an issue to ride however you feel comfortable. If you are on the road surface in any way the safest is to flow WITH the traffic.

Like I said in my previous post. I am riding in the direction of the oncoming traffic, but its not on the tar. Its more than 4m away from Tar, on a gravel footpath. And the only safe one to ride on. So when I have to choose between riding on the gravel path, away from the traffic, or on the tar, I rather choose the gravel option. I know many people will disagree with this.

You are then not on the road at all. Good thing that you made this clear otherwise some fool will try to ride in the same way on the tar and in the oncoming lane somewhere in the hectic city traffic and get plastered for his effort!

Oh for sure. That's why I feel much safer on my mtb. But I take my hat off to all the roadies. Damn, riding on the Tar everyday with these palooka taxi drivers. :o

Please let's not make this about jumping red lights but keep it specific to why we ride with traffic rather than against it.

The average driver is usually not paying attention as he or she should be behind the wheel. Cycling into oncoming traffic does not give a motorist the opportunity to slow down and consider overtaking you properly. They are forced to get by you or drive over you if there is no room to get passed you. The combined opposing forces of a hit like this is always fatal even at slow speeds.

Riding with the traffic is however far less intrusive on all the road users on that stretch.

I find that the best way to deal with those vehicles that approach from behind with high revving motors that obviously do not seem intent on slowing down to consider safely getting by me, is to turn my head around when it is safe to do so, attempt to look the driver in the eye and show him a slow down gesture with my arm. Thinking for other road users when you're on the bike seems to be the only way to get any form of recognition on the road.

What you have said explains ir perfectly. I like the insight and it makes sence, a head on collission normally means that two forces must come to a halt, when travelling in the same direction, it might be reflected off the heavier object.

It really helps to be confident but cautious. Not guaranteed, but in most cases I find it best to give myself a good bit of space to the left, stick with it as you hear a car approach, even moving slightly out, before moving over to the left as cars overtake. Does two things: makes the motorist see that you are ON the road (i.e. traffic) but also that you are respecting that they are faster than you and are prepared to let them pass. Means the yellow line keeps me company a lot.

I will not do this, however, where it's dangerous, or when approaching an intersection where I'm at traffic speed and going to turn right or stop at a traffic light. Point is to be polite, sensible and visible. Where I know there's hectic traffic, I avoid, or walk round. It really helps to cycle with someone with experience who you trust if you're not sure. Still, there are drunk, stupid, distracted, incompetent people out there... and there are times where I also misjudge the situation. Accidents happen, but there are ways to 'manage' traffic.

Me too when I'm alone. Often get hooted at by the cars though.

Well if it is me approaching on my bike you will hear my swearing at you as well. It is bad enough dodging cars. Now we want to dodge our cycling buddies headon as well. thumbdown.gif

I understand your concern and SA road users have no respect what so ever left for fellow road users. That is why Arrive Alive is a money sucking pipe dream. They do not address the real issue ... our attitudes.

Not sure where you live but I suggest picking roads with a shoulder would be your safest option and stick to the road rules and travel in the same direction as the cars.

Edited by Bateleur1

As stated numerous times above, bad idea to ride facing traffic.

One thing not even mentioned yet is people (motorists) wanting to take a left turn with the flow of the traffic, will obviously just watch to their right for a gap and go when clear. On comes eedjit from the left-hand side on a bicycle... eek.gif A very cycling conscious friend of mine had a school laaitie flying over her bonnet one day in exactly this scenario.

This is truly irresponsible, and goes to reinforce why there are so many dead cyclists in South Africa. You blatantly take it upon yourself to do what you deem best for your own well being rather than abide by the laws of the road.

We will continue to have road deaths if we refuse to abide by a series of basic rules.

If you are hurt or injured you will immediately be guilty of disobeying the rules and therefore could it only void your medical and insurance cover but also cause a huge amount of trauma to innocent drivers who would not expect you to be where you are on the road.

Maybe someone already has swerved to avoid you, who is on the wrong side of the road, and caused an accident?

Darwin's rules start to come to the fore....

Let's look at your 1st statement. Yes I DO take it upon myself to do what is BEST for my safety since abiding by the law does NOT keep me alive?

The problem here is NOT cyclist breaking the law is is ALL the other road users not being accountable.

Your 2nd statement is otter nonsense, a drunk driver still has medical.

The biggest problem is this

1. Motorist does not see cyclist as another road users. The authorities does not drive that point home. More advertising is needed telling them that EVERYONE has a LEGAL right to the road.

2. The authorities will spen more time to prosecute the soft targets, fining a cyclist, confiscating a cellphone, issuing a parking fine etc. But they don't confiscate a taxi?, a bus, a normal person driving like an idiot.

3. The authorities do not adhere to the laws, blue light brigades, traffic cops driving talking on their phones, without a seat belt.

Like I said the route cause is not cyclists, and until they start policing the route cause I will ride the way I feel SAFE. You like it or not, but I want to survive!

If surviving mean riding into traffic so what....at least you get home ALIVE rather than adhere to "rules" and end up dead.

PPA has done nothing except try to implement traffic fine against cyclist since the Goldn Arrow incident. Authorities did nothing....

Now please tell me how many cyclist have lost their lives last year breaking traffic rules and how many died by the hand of some stupid driver?

I wish people on the hub will get this.....cyclist don't die because they break the rules, they die cause other road users DO!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Niner

Let's look at your 1st statement. Yes I DO take it upon myself to do what is BEST for my safety since abiding by the law does NOT keep me alive?

The problem here is NOT cyclist breaking the law is is ALL the other road users not being accountable.

1. Motorist does not see cyclist as another road users. The authorities does not drive that point home. More advertising is needed telling them that EVERYONE has a LEGAL right to the road.

2. The authorities will spen more time to prosecute the soft targets, fining a cyclist, confiscating a cellphone, issuing a parking fine etc. But they don't confiscate a taxi?, a bus, a normal person driving like an idiot.

3. The authorities do not adhere to the laws, blue light brigades, traffic cops driving talking on their phones, without a seat belt.

Like I said the route cause is not cyclists, and until they start policing the route cause I will ride the way I feel SAFE. You like it or not, but I want to survive!

If surviving mean riding into traffic so what....at least you get home ALIVE rather than adhere to "rules" and end up dead.

PPA has done nothing except try to implement traffic fine against cyclist since the Goldn Arrow incident. Authorities did nothing....

Now please tell me how many cyclist have lost their lives last year breaking traffic rules and how many died by the hand of some stupid driver?

I wish people on the hub will get this.....cyclist don't die because they break the rules, they die cause other road users DO!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better! Agreed 200%

I agree with most but strongly disagree with the bolded text. Doing that you are endangering other cyclist. It becomes more and more a problem for me who cycles in traffic almost daily to avoid collisions with cyclist cycling headon into the traffic.

I've said this before. This is the quickest, dumbest way to your death. There IS a law against this, for good reason. You walk at what, 5km/hr? You run at what, 12km/hr (or 7, if you're me)? And you cycle at what??? If you're happy tootling at 12km/hr, you MAY survive. Have you, as a driver, ever encountered a cyclist coming at you at anything over 20km/hr?? And if you cycle towards the traffic, how the hell do you negotiate corners and what do you do when you see a car coming? Jump off the road???

Please folks, don't encourage this - it really is stupid dangerous.

Seems to me that all the laws your refer to does not keep cyclist alive.

What difference does the speed make? Nothing man. You can behave just like a pedestrian on your bike.

Maybe this "law" is wrong and we should ride into traffic, at least then I can see the driver is going to pass me with only 4 cm clearance and stop, rather than get pulled under the wheels off a 14 wheelers

Please people open your minds and rethink everything regarding cycling and how we can stay alive as everything we have been doing till now does not seem to be working.

You are then barely in the road reserve at four meters from the shoulder breakpoint. That is NOT the road anymore but a different track. Cycling on the tarred shoulder with a road bike is pure stupidity though. The speed difference between the oncoming traffic and yourself makes it extremely dangerous and the oncoming traffic does not expect you there.