LOOK S Tracks Pedals

Mr LOOK

i have been using the standard S-Track pedals for a couple of months after upgrading from the Look Quartz, IMO there is no comparison between the quartz and the S-track, the S-Track is much, much better! i think the only difference between the race and the standard is the materials, the standard ones have a hardened plastic part that i have broken a piece off due to hitting a rock but i must say that i think any pedal would have been damaged as i Klapped it really hard. i guess the real question to ask is if the race is really worth the extra money... that i am not sure of but, the fact that these are awesome pedals remain!! The only downside i can think of is that i dont think they can be serviced

The difference between the Standard and the Race is that is that The axle housing and deflectors on the std model are a composite material. The Race has a Carbon axle housing with Alloy deflectors. The deflectors are designed to snap/chip on impact to protect your axle housing on impact. (pretty much the same as a dropout on a frame) They can then be replaced need be. Unlike some other brands a rebuild kit is not available as the pedals using roller and needle bearings and not bushings. You can open the pedal with a normal 19mm ring spanner and re grease it though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear that lots of people goes back to Quartz, after they tried with S-tracks pedals.

I want to know why?

Mostly due to the "harder" clip and un-clip sensation. The New DCS Easy cleats should help such riders.

I am in the process of purchasing a new pair of pedals and strongly considering the S Track.

I notice the price difference between the entry level (about R850) and the race - R1800.

They say that the entry level is for beginners. Why is that?

Would I be better off purchasing an XT pedal for R850 or the entry level Look S Track?

Quite a big concern is the durability of these pedals. Apparently the body is some type of hardened plastic.

Could someone give me more information?

The Standard S Tracks has proved to be Super!!...don't worry about "beginner rider" stuff. There's actually quite a few TOP Riders using the standard S Tracks.

• 5 months later...

I got S Track pedals in Dec '13.

Will the manual state whether i have "DCS Easy" cleats?

Not sure if the manual will state it, i used the std cleats supplied, i bought a set of "Easy's" but haven't looked at them to see if there's a defined difference. Pop a msg on the Look RSA facebook page, the response is quite good i've found.

I've learnt how to open, clean/lube when they do start feeling a little dry :) Same as Shimano SPD's basically ;)

..Pop a msg on the Look RSA facebook page, the response is quite good i've found...

thanks Clinton, will do :)

Any idea which is the correct spacer to use on the Spez Sworks MTB shoes. Tried the 0.5 and my foot would unclip on tech sections. Tried the 1.0 and there is too much float i end up trying to grip with my toes.

Any idea which is the correct spacer to use on the Spez Sworks MTB shoes. Tried the 0.5 and my foot would unclip on tech sections. Tried the 1.0 and there is too much float i end up trying to grip with my toes.

When i set up mine I used different spacers until they clipped in snugg...... But i never managed to stop my right foot coming out on tech sections. I tried turning the cleat to different angles. but still had a few unexpected unclips.

I'v gone back to Shimano pedals.

Sounds like you need an inbetween shim. go walk around the block in your mtb shoes. that should wear the treadblocks to the point where the 0.5mm shim will be ok.

Very nice pedals. I chipped mine on the first ride and I thought they were broken but it is meant to chip to protect the pedal itself. The piece that chips is replaceable and they have a plastic replacement part too

I'm using S-Works 2013 shoes, 0 Shims, i push firmly @ times to get in but i like it tight ;) No accidental unclips even in harsh technical sections or pulling up during climbs.

I've still managed to unclip no issues in emergency situations when the need arises.

Had major issues with my LOOK quarts carbon pedal bearings... Lekka pedals but the bearings only lasted 1 year. gmmffff!

Suggest chaps also consider the new Time Atac pedals. Definitely my preference.

Just a thought.

I'm using S-Works 2013 shoes, 0 Shims, i push firmly @ times to get in but i like it tight ;) No accidental unclips even in harsh technical sections or pulling up during climbs.

I've still managed to unclip no issues in emergency situations when the need arises.

Hi Clinton,

Out of Interest, do you use the std cleat or "easy" cleat with your S-works. I picked up my S-Works (2013) this morning and need to go do the setup tonight. Thanks.

Archived