Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

No, most US Internet retailers will only charge sales tax if you purchase the item for delivery in their state. Washington in this case. They"ll add the tax afterwards, so the amount you see on Fanatik, Competitive or Jenson is ex-vat.

Sweet. That makes it much easier, and shows just how close the price in $ is to our local price. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it:

Retailers and distributors should price their products so that there is no way that someone can legally bring in that product themselves for a better price. If there is a small premium for the conveniance of purchasing the product locally, and supplying warranty support etc., that's fine. But if you price your products out of context, you will be found out. ( Sometimes, like in the case of the WFO, it's a calculation mistake.....I think?)

Obviously the bigger retailers like CRC get their products at much better prices than most, if not all of the local guys, and that gives them the option to mark their stuff down to ridiculously low prices. It is impossible for the local retailers to compete with that. For example: CRC retails a Rockshox Reverb for less than the wholesale price locally.

Generally speaking, the local distributors and retailers are not out to get us. Their margins are actually below the retail industry's averages. So, yes if some Internet retailer have a sale, you will pick up some bargains, but the local prices are generally spot on.

If you want to moan about prices take on the restaurant industry: 300-400% mark up.

Edited by Dirt Merchant

But like...... what about the short.....???

Shorts are available too. I just already have RaceFace ones.

Howzit everyone

Just a quick question for all

What would be rated the best enduro bike for South African conditions, taking all different areas into consideration, from Tzaneen to Cape Town.

Most enduro bikes available are made for the type of terrain in Europe and North American (massive mountain with  elevation). Would that be classified as too much?

Dewald

Howzit everyone

What would be rated the best enduro bike for South African conditions, taking all different areas into consideration, from Tzaneen to Cape Town.

Most enduro bikes available are made for the type of terrain in Europe and North American (massive mountain with elevation). Would that be classified as too much?

Dewald

Erm... Ja. Everything in this thread, really.

Subjectivity overload shall commence in 3,2,1...

Howzit everyone

Most enduro bikes available are made for the type of terrain in Europe and North American (massive mountain with  elevation). Would that be classified as too much?

Dewald

you can never have too much,

Howzit everyone

Dewald

short answer: the best one is the one you buy and ride. If you think you bought too much bike for the elevation/terrain, just go harder.

Modern enduro geometries are in general, specced around common design goals: long wheelbases, longer reach, short chainstays, slack head angles, steep seat angles etc, all combining to make them not only extremely capable descenders, but pretty darn good climbing machines as well. So really, if it strikes you fancy, pick one. Any one.

Edited by Capricorn

Would a Ghost ASX-55 do for Enduro? 120mm Travel all round.

Just scared the front travel is too short for this.

Pritty picture not the actual bike.

post-16912-0-82971700-1433480693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reden

Would a Ghost ASX-55 do for Enduro? 120mm Travel all round.

Just scared the front travel is too short for this.

Pritty picture not the actual bike.

attachicon.gifASX%205100.jpg

It depends on your skillset. If you have average skills: 140mm - 160mm on 26" and 650B. 120mm to 140mm on 29ers. The head angle is also very important. On slacker head angles you can just about get away with 120mm, especially on 29ers.

If you have insane skills, any bike would do. ;)

It depends on your skillset. If you have average skills: 140mm - 160mm on 26" and 650B. 120mm to 140mm on 29ers. The head angle is also very important. On slacker head angles you can just about get away with 120mm, especially on 29ers.

If you have insane skills, any bike would do. ;)

69deg Head Angle.

EEEEK! Stay away. 

Try get hold of a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt... 66 deg HA and 120mm travel. Recently voted as amongst testers favourite bikes in the Bible of Bike Tests.

That, or a PYGA 120 / 110. 

Hey! my bike has a 69deg head angle!

personally i think, with the trails we have in cpt area anyway, the more xc your bike is, the better, this isint france, our trails arent steep, the quicker your bike is over flat stuff the better imo...

that being said, l wouldnt go below 120mm rear travel, but thats just because i own a fullface and want to shuttle too.

130mm travel, 140mm fork, 68.5' HA

I haven't heard it complain yet.

It can even freeride a bit...

post-41238-0-68007700-1433639905_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Love, love, love the Mondraker designs - 8999 € Though!!! Also not so sure it's a bike for anyone to just hop on and shred. But so beautiful to look at. :drool:

post-43699-0-73407800-1435294789_thumb.jpg

Love, love, love the Mondraker designs - 8999 € Though!!! Also not so sure it's a bike for anyone to just hop on and shred. But so beautiful to look at. :drool:

Saw this as well this morning.

Still prefer the Foxy though.