Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Testers say one big issue is tire clearance in mud,but damn 180mm travel and it sounds like it pedals very well.

That write up is pretty massive. I wonder what they'll go for as I think it's a good looking bike and sounds bonkers. 

Some more info on that Polygon: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/polygon-square-one-ex-video-2017.html and some technical details https://www.pinkbike.com/news/polygon-square-one-ex9-and-its-r3act-suspension-where-it-came-from-and-how-it-works-2017.html

If that system really works that well I'd like to see it in a shorter travel bike, something like 120 or 140.

I wonder if we will see Polygon adopt it on their downhill bikes? I'm not that up to date with who races what, but It sounds like we might see Mick Hannah doing Enduro.

Edited by Jacquers

this bike excites me ..... the look is getting sexier all the time and then the snake oil sales pitch sounds great.

copy and paste:

"If you want to know the minutiae of how it works, you’re out of luck. Darrell is deliberately obtuse, even when asked directly about it. He says: “If I were to explain every detail of design or how the kinematics were tweaked, would that change your perception? I want to eliminate all this tech talk and keep it about riding. The industry has been so caught up in marketing acronyms and not wanting to miss the next wheel size variation that suspension design has stagnated and we’ve forgotten how good it feels just to ride.”

Testers say one big issue is tire clearance in mud,but damn 180mm travel and it sounds like it pedals very well.

That was with a 2.6" Magic Marry Fitted....

Have you guys looked to older bikes with elevated rear swing arms ... think Morewood (Shova, etc) Rocky Mountain ETSX, Whyte 146, (SPIT) Raleigh RDS .............

copy and paste:

"If you want to know the minutiae of how it works, you’re out of luck. Darrell is deliberately obtuse, even when asked directly about it. He says: “If I were to explain every detail of design or how the kinematics were tweaked, would that change your perception? I want to eliminate all this tech talk and keep it about riding. The industry has been so caught up in marketing acronyms and not wanting to miss the next wheel size variation that suspension design has stagnated and we’ve forgotten how good it feels just to ride.”

Quite a different looking system which is cool, but I find the whole bike fugly. Maybe it'll grow on me...

Regarding the hush-hush vibe about how it actually works, i think there really isn't much to say so he'd rather keep it mysterious. To me it's clear that chain tension will try to push that cylinder back in thereby propping the suspension high in it's travel. Just look at the rear derailleur showing the amount of chain growth as the suspension compresses. That will make the suspension firmer to pedal but it will also make pedal feedback while going downhill pretty noticeable - some say that's a disadvantage.

Essentially: a suspension system that offers a platform due to pedaling implies chain growth, which brings with it pedal feedback. Finding the balance between the two will always be a compromise. In my opinion.

http://www.imbikemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Whyte_146_x1_2013_06-670x444.jpg