LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I can echo this.

I also started slow with the weight loss, even though I have lots of weight to lose.

But in the last 5 weeks, I've been averaging around 1kg loss per week. This is after 2 months of LCHF.

On the other hand, my wife (who also has weight to lose) is losing 1.5kgs a week after only a month of eating LCHF.

You need to keep up with it and see it as getting healthier, not just losing weight.

I have to say that in the first 2 months, although I wasn't seeing big weight loss, I was looking slimmer, and getting stronger in gym.

Cycling on the other hand was slow... but I can slowly feel the power coming back. And combining that, with a weight loss means I'm cracking a lot more PRs on strava than ever before.

Love this ! And as you say - when your weight drops, your power to weight ratio improves and when you then complete the muscle adaptation process on LCHF in the next 2 - 3 months you will never look back at how you were riding before. Keep going and keep everyone updated, I find it motivating and inspiring to hear these stories !

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok-I'm sold. I need to get one of these BG machines. I have searched around and there are quite a few options. Please can you guys give me some advice which one is the best? It will save me (and others, I hope) a lot of time.

Get a Freestyle Optium. Works nice. Want one that measures ketones AND blood glucose. I was BG = 4.1 and Keto = 0.5 (on the button, yeah baby!)

12 days is still early, Marge, so don't be discouraged. Your body is still trying to hold on to it's old carb-fuelled ways right now, and hasn't started to adapt to the process of selecting fat as its preferred fuel source. This takes a little time.

In my own case, weight loss was very slow initially (some people have experienced big numbers early, but that's mostly just water loss and not true weight loss). This is what my progress kinda looked like over a year when dropping from 97 - 80kg (graph below). Started out slow, but after a couple of months the weight loss was steady month after month. I've stabilised at around 80 - 81 kg now and loving life.

Some other things to keep in mind re. this change are the other benefits, such as sustained energy all day, etc, etc.

Took me about 4 weeks of hell to adapt. Did Northerns Quickie 50k during that time and literally thought I was vrekking! One day you'll feel great. Stay the course. Give it 4 weeks, don't worry about weight loss, its a scientific FACT that it will happen but it's the amazing side effects that will amaze you. Keep going :)

In line with the current Bruce Lee craze, I've read the following on the wiki page about him:

According to Linda Lee Cadwell, soon after he moved to the United States, Lee started to take nutrition seriously and developed an interest in health foods, high-protein drinks and vitamin and mineral supplements. He later concluded that in order to achieve a high-performance body, one could not fuel it with a diet of junk food, and with "the wrong fuel" one's body would perform sluggishly or sloppily.[47] Lee also avoided baked goods and refined flour, describing them as providing calories which did nothing for his body.[48]

I have a Freestyle Optium because I measure my ketones with it. It is one of the few meters on the SA market that can measure both, simply by using different test strips. Just be warned, the keto test strips are very expensive. My medical aid (one of the top Discovery options) pays for some of that, but in the end you pay for it anyway.

My other meter is the Accu-Check Performa Nano, which is a real litte gem if you only want to measure BG. I say this, because with the add-on interface and software you can even upload and graph your data on your PC and it is a tiny meter that requires the minimum amount of blood to test. But that may be a bit of an overkill for most people ;) The strips are covered 100% by my medical aid.

When you look to buy a meter, always look at what you will measure most (BG or ketones) - it is usually BG. Then look at what the BG strips cost. The pharma companies will give those meters away (in fact most have a free lifetime exchange warranty) as that's not where they make their money - they make it on the strips, so that is your biggest cost over time.

I would opt for the Freestyle Optium as my meter of choice and just restrict the blood ketone measurements. The urine ketostix WITH your blood BG readings should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on.

Just a word of caution on the Freestyle meter. If you are squeamish about blood or you are going to find it difficult to squeeze blood from the pin prick in your finger, this is not the meter for you. To measure ketones it requires more than just a drop of blood, so just be warned. The meters that do BG only usually require the tiniest amount of blood to measure.

Shout out if I can assist in any way, otherwise chat to the aunties in the pharmacy ! :D

Hi htone,

Two questions. Do you find that there is a close relationship between BG and the amount of Ketones? The reason for the question is that will it be sufficient to only test BG? (Given that the correlation between the two should be -1) Basically they should move inverse, the higher BG the lower Ketones, the lower BG (within means) the higher ketones?

Another thing, which might be subject to your wife as well as Marge. Does your blood type play a role at the end of the day. I for instance am a type O+. Basically I should avoid grain, carbs and even fruit form the start. I shoud, according to the blood diet guys, eat the hunter gatherer style diet. This would imply that my carb intake should also be very low for weight loss, like below 30g your wife is doing?

Edited by krl747

Hi htone,

Two question. Do you find that there is a close relationship between BG and the amount of Ketones? The reason for the question is that will it be sufficient to only test BG? (Given that the correlation between the two should be -1) Basically they should move inverse, the higher BG the lower Ketones, the lower BG (within means) the higher ketones?

Another thing, which might be subject to your wife as well as Marge. Does your blood type play a role at the end of the day. I for instance am a type O+. Basically I should avoid grain, carbs and even fruit form the start. I shoud, according to the blood diet guys, eat the hunter gatherer style diet. This would imply that my carb intake should also be very low for weight loss, like below 30g your wife is doing?

There is a definite relationship between BG and ketones, but it is not always linear (hope that makes sense).

I have had relatively high BG (around 6) but my ketones were well above 0.5. But I could also have low BG (say around 4) without being in ketosis. Low BG is not a guarantee of being in ketosis. My cut-off for ketosis from a BG perspective seems to be around the 6.5 - 7.0 mark, once my BG goes to that level, my ketone production stops almost completely. But this is in line with what Prof Lustig explains in "Sugar - the bitter truth". Insulin goes up, ketones come down, fat burning stops. (Again, I have to stress that although it differs from person to person, the carb load in a day is cumulative - for me it is the same with protein. I can manage my BG, but if I cross the "line" my ketosis stops, although my BG may not always shoot up). Sjoe, I have read this again now and I hope this makes sense ?

But this is why I would recommend a dual approach to measuring initially - take the guesswork out of until you get to know your body well enough. So either get a Freestyle type meter where you can measure both BG and ketones or get a BG meter and measure your ketones with urine ketostix. I know a lot of people will try to tell you that the ketostix are not always 100% accurate and that is true, but at least you can see if there are ketones present or not. I have yet to hear of someone who has been so effective at burning ketones that they get a high reading on the blood ketone meter and a low or no reading on the stix. Here's an experiment that dietdoctor Andreas Eenfeldt did with his meter vs ketostix and you will see that you can track the two and the relationship with BG.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/final-report-two-months-of-strict-lchf-and-ketone-monitoring

I am yet to be convinced of the blood type diet, although there are certain elements relating to carbs that make sense. I have not really immersed myself in blood type diets at all, so my answer here is more of a gut reaction than a qualified or educated one. I am A+, but my wife is a relatively scarce AB+, she is MUCH more carb sensitive than I am (please check your blood type guide if that is in line with what they say ?) - yet I have seen this same high carb sensitivity in most of the females that I have worked with on LCHF - it is almost certainly gender related as well. You would do well to follow that advice, though !

edit: corrected link

Edited by htone

I can echo this.

I also started slow with the weight loss, even though I have lots of weight to lose.

But in the last 5 weeks, I've been averaging around 1kg loss per week. This is after 2 months of LCHF.

On the other hand, my wife (who also has weight to lose) is losing 1.5kgs a week after only a month of eating LCHF.

You need to keep up with it and see it as getting healthier, not just losing weight.

I have to say that in the first 2 months, although I wasn't seeing big weight loss, I was looking slimmer, and getting stronger in gym.

Cycling on the other hand was slow... but I can slowly feel the power coming back. And combining that, with a weight loss means I'm cracking a lot more PRs on strava than ever before.

Just keep going. Weight loss in beginning almost nothing, can even gain weight . :eek: Especially if your not obese??

Rather than weighing all the time measure hips and middle Circumference and divide the 2 values. I'll find the article.

So apologies for just putting this out there...

But took a bit of a knock of late... Had blood-tests done a month in, September last year, and the same test last week...

Not such pretty reading, unfortunately. Whereas I have never felt better - going to have fun and games explaining this to the wife and GP, who are anything but convinced about LCHF...

TC has climbed, as was to be expected...

HDL has climbed - which is great... but LDL took a bigger jump - I guess that is obviously also to be expected (particle size unknowns aside)...

Triglycerides have unfortunately also climbed... I was hoping that would go the other way...

:blush:

Not a happy chappy at the moment. Somebody cheer me up.

Just keep going. Weight loss in beginning almost nothing, can even gain weight . :eek: Especially if your not obese??

Rather than weighing all the time measure hips and middle Circumference and divide the 2 values. I'll find the article.

Or take before and after pics. Nothing tells the LCHF story better than before and after pics... ;)

I still have people commenting on my "weight loss", yet I know that I have picked up weight - not to the lard ass scale that I used to be at, but still... you will most certainly lose centimeters and water weight. Also remember that muscle weighs roughly 3x as much as fat by volume. So if you add 1kg of muscle you will need to lose more than 3x that volume of fat to show weight loss. Think of it in terms of a lekker big 500g steak lying in a plate - 500g fat is a heck of a lot of fat if you had to "unpack" that on a plate !

But took a bit of a knock of late... Had blood-tests done a month in, September last year, and the same test last week...

Not such pretty reading, unfortunately. Whereas I have never felt better - going to have fun and games explaining this to the wife and GP, who are anything but convinced about LCHF...

HDL has climbed - which is great... but LDL took a bigger jump - I guess that is obviously also to be expected (particle size unknowns aside)...

Triglycerides have unfortunately also climbed... I was hoping that would go the other way...

How long have you been on LCHF ? This is quite normal, you know and Prof Noakes will tell you to not worry about that...

How long have you been on LCHF ? This is quite normal, you know and Prof Noakes will tell you to not worry about that...

August last year.

August last year.

Ok, I started in October last year.

RodTi - if you don't mind posting it, what are those numbers looking like ?

My TC went from a low of 3.1 to a high of 6.7, then flattened out at 6.1

HDL went from 0.7 to 1.14, now at around 1.04

LDL from a low of 1.15 to 5.0, now at 4.3

TG from a high of 3.08 to about 1.02 where I am now at (that very high number was on a low-fat diet as well !)

I was worried when my TC went up like it did, because I had been on statins prior to that, but my doc sent the stats through to Prof Noakes who was not concerned at all and said that it was to be expected. If you are still worried, then consider opting for a very low dose statin (e.g. 5mg Crestor) but just keep in mind that statins come with their own Pandora's box....

Show them this, and then try and convince them ........ http://foodandhealthrevolution.com/food/cholesterol/

TG from a high of 3.08 to about 1.02 where I am now at (that very high number was on a low-fat diet as well !)

I was worried when my TC went up like it did, because I had been on statins prior to that, but my doc sent the stats through to Prof Noakes who was not concerned at all and said that it was to be expected. If you are still worried, then consider opting for a very low dose statin (e.g. 5mg Crestor) but just keep in mind that statins come with their own Pandora's box....

This is what the good prof tweeted to me upon asking the same thing after going LCHF and cholesterol numbers climbing (and my wife worried I was killing myself due to societies conditioning that u will die if u have high cholesterol)...

Tim Noakes@ProfTimNoakes7 Jun

Your real risk factors - blood glucose, insulin, weight, BP, inflammation - will have improved. Check LDL-particle size and number

Mine were pretty bad to start off with, as is clear:

post-1360-0-84018100-1373624232_thumb.png

Mine were pretty bad to start off with, as is clear:

post-1360-0-84018100-1373624232_thumb.png

Nothing that I see there would worry me - not in the least.

If your doc is still not happy with this, I would seriously consider changing doctors for at least a paleo-friendly doc.

Stop worrying - what is happening is what SHOULD be happening on LCHF !