LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Here is the healthy Harvard pyramid that Dr Luc Evenepoel are reffering to in his article.

Whole grains???? Trans fat free margarine????

I think the pyramid is better, but not sure If I still believe the "healthy whole grains" debacle.

Yep, I certainly won't eat ANY margarine or some of those "healthy" oils mentioned there. I don't think he intended the Harvard pyramid to be the definitive source, but merely wanted to show that there is difference of opinion and that not all follow the same advice.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On another topic, that being of VLC diets as being good for your health, especially as some think, for your heart. Those that suffer from heart problems should familiarise themselves with their thyroid and it's function as it's very closely related to CAD and mortality. VLC diets destroy thyroid function and T3 levels, as does too much endurance exercise.

start here:

http://www.anakarder.com/sayilar/89/buyuk/62-66.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3134399/

http://circ.ahajourn.../4/385.full.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3418165/

http://ccforum.com/c...pdf/cc11151.pdf

Conclusion:

In unselected ICU patients, FT3 was the most powerful and only independent predictor of ICU

mortality among the complete indicators. The addition of FT3 level to the APACHE II score could significantly

improve the ability to predict ICU mortality.

Edited by Topwine

steering away from oats----- What is the reason for this?

Its a grain...

Also high in phytic acid which is an anti-nutrient, ie it prevents the proper absorption of nutrients.

I already have coconut oil. MCT oil I believe is different, a more concentrated form of coconut oil. The guys normally use it in bulletproof coffee.

MCT oil is the fat from coconut oil that has been centrifuged. MCT is the just the magic ingredient in the coconut oil. It's expensive so I just go for coconut oil. 1 tbsp 3 times a day sometimes in coffee (not a big coffee drinker) and I cook with it. Not fry, just add it to everything.

Its a grain...

Also high in phytic acid which is an anti-nutrient, ie it prevents the proper absorption of nutrients.

But there is a way around that:: to reduce the effect of phytic acid I soak my oats over night and cook it slowly for 20min, and it tastes better. This principle also helps to reduce phytic acid in coconut flour/beans.. ...

Tip that worked for me: Use it / don't use it :)

Got a bit stuck with ketones hovering around 0.1 - 0.3 mmol for a couple of months. So that's not officially ketosis. Started tracking diet strictly on My Fitness Pal app http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and was amazed at the amount of carbs. You THINK you are low carb, but those carbs really creep up on you if you don't track them. Gone really low carb and HIGH fat this week. Paying off. Ketones 1.7mmol this a.m. and BG 3.9mmol.

But there is a way around that:: to reduce the effect of phytic acid I soak my oats over night and cook it slowly for 20min, and it tastes better. This principle also helps to reduce phytic acid in coconut flour/beans.. ...

If you are going to eat starch, this sure is a very good way to do it . :thumbup:

Well done on getting a tweet back from the Prof ! ;)

My carb flu lasted from about day 3 - 6 and after the 2nd week I started feeling amazingly well, waking early in the morning, feeling refreshed and did not have energy dips during the day. My adaptation to burning fat effectively as fuel probably took 6 - 8 weeks and I think the real muscle adaptation took significantly longer, probably only after month 4 could I perform at previous exertion levels.

I lost weight initially, then stalled, then dropped steadily from about month 3 or 4 and at about month 6 I became "weight stable" - at a weight about 7 - 10kg above where I would have wanted it to be, but I am working on that one :thumbup:

The good @ProfTimNoakes is a prolific tweeter. I personally have had about 5 twitter chats with him. I don't know how he manages. Good guy.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, I thought I'd share my list of "lchf commandments". It's a mix of what I believe (and practice) and an attempt to provoke thought. I often have folk ask about my health / diet, so I put this list together and while back (and keep adding to it). I send it to them ... if they run screaming then that the end of the matter ... if they don't, then we can talk. :thumbup:

So, comments, additions, thoughts?

• LCHF is actually LC, Moderate Protein ,HF
  • Not all fats are good, not all carbs are bad
  • Sugar, processed foods, grains and hydrogenated oils are the enemy.
  • Aim for BG levels 4.8 - 5.2
  • Fasting works better when intermittent ie no pattern
  • Alcohol slows weight loss but is good for the heart (in moderation)
  • If it was not alive recently, don't eat it.
  • Eat, wait and feel. If you feel good, eat it again. If you feel lousy, don't eat it.
  • Cheating for 1-2 meals per week will not kill you. Sustained junk will.
  • Exercise for fun and stress relief.
  • Don't bother trying to exercise for weight loss … you can't outrun your mouth.
  • Train 90% slow, 10% explosive. Race fast. Have fun.
  • Separate hydration and energy source when exercising.
  • For every scientific study there is another one that disproves it. Read them all and think critically.
  • Be guided by what but what Grandma and the Bushmen ate.
  • Coffee and dark chocolate are (delicious) stimulants. Go easy.
  • Every writer, blogger, doctor, scientist has an agenda. Consider your own health. Look after n=1, not the whole population curve.
  • Inflammation, not cholesterol, is your enemy.
  • Stop stressing about the small things.
  • Loose the idea that each meal has to be a culinary delight.
  • Eat to live.

This is so very true. Trying to convince my dad of this at the moment. Since I've moved out of my parents house a couple of years ago I no longer find it weird to just have some scrambled eggs and tomato for dinner (even on a Saturday) for example. This is the type of meal that he would never "approve" of. He still lives in the "rys en vleis" culture, and it's not sustainable for him. He is a type 2 diabetic and not taking it seriously at all!

This is so very true. Trying to convince my dad of this at the moment. Since I've moved out of my parents house a couple of years ago I no longer find it weird to just have some scrambled eggs and tomato for dinner (even on a Saturday) for example. This is the type of meal that he would never "approve" of. He still lives in the "rys en vleis" culture, and it's not sustainable for him. He is a type 2 diabetic and not taking it seriously at all!

We have this joke from the movie Fight Club going : "The first rule about LCHF is that you don't talk about LCHF"... :)

steering away from oats----- What is the reason for this?

Grains (wheat, barley, rye, oats, sorghum, millet, etc) are not the nice wholesome foods we have (only relatively recently) been told is good for us. 100 years ago they were considered good enough only to feed livestock to fatten them up, certainly not fit for human consumption. We need to get back to that.

Good old Mark Sisson on the subject of grains: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/#axzz2jgduR254. Gets himself quite worked up about it in the process :)

Another one: http://wellnessmama.com/575/how-grains-are-killing-you-slowly/

The good @ProfTimNoakes is a prolific tweeter. I personally have had about 5 twitter chats with him. I don't know how he manages. Good guy.

Amazing man. He has given me some pointers re cancer advice. I have some interesting observations going lchf (probably more paleo) which I will share when I'm not browsing on a phone.

Non alcoholic fatty liver disease ( NAFLD)

No Difference Between High-Fructose and High-Glucose Diets on Liver Triacylglycerol or Biochemistry in Healthy Overweight Men

http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085%2813%2901040-8/fulltext

A very latest randomised double blind study ( gold standard, not observational) confirming it's the amount of calories, not type of calories. Still waiting for those that say sugar is poison in any amount to provide their RCT studies that proves so. But hey, LCHF is religion, no scientific proof needed hey ?