LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

One can get Coconut Oil at Dischem and most if not all health shops. Else check Crede's website to see who stocks their product in your area. Yes it is expensive R150-170 per litre but get the Virgin Organic and not the odourless.

http://www.credeoils.com/store-locator/gauteng/

I already have coconut oil. MCT oil I believe is different, a more concentrated form of coconut oil. The guys normally use it in bulletproof coffee.

Edited by Excite_Bike

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 4 for me.

Frustrated that my weight and measurements haven't budged in a week.

I've had periods of extreme nausea this week. Some days I've found that I get halfway through a meal and then feel sick, so I just stop eating. Other days I've skipped meals completely because I just feel too nauseous to face food of any sort. I'm hoping that this isn't permanent, because I'd much rather eat carbs and sugar and feel semi-normal than have constant nausea.

This experience has taught me to really think about what food I put into my mouth. It's teaching me to use food as fuel rather than using it as a form of pleasure or an emotional crutch. For the first time in years I feel like I have some sort of control over my eating habits, which is good.

Just a couple of questions. My hair and skin (particularly on my forehead) have become quite greasy. Am I eating too much fat?

I've upped my average coffee intake to around 3-4 cups a day. Is this too much?

PS It's my sons birthday today, so I am planning a 'Cheat' meal tonight when I take him out for dinner. I'll let you guys know of the outcome ;)

Hi Nancy

This is the point where you really need to be patient. It sounds as if you are a bit late at getting "carb flu" which is something I have seen often in females, males seem to go through the carb withdrawal a lot quicker. So it sounds as if that's what is what's going on and judging by your "I'd rather eat carbs" comments, that would be my other test. Having said that, never discount that there may be something else that's wrong so if this continues for more than 5 days, please seek more professional advice.

It could also be that you may have upped your fat intake too much too soon (you have not described your diet), and that may also cause nausea. I still have days where I overdo the oils in my shake somewhat and I really need to drink a glass of water afterwards to prevent nausea. I hope your salt intake is around a teaspoon of rock salt per day, as that is another way of warding off feeling miserable.

When you stick to LCHF for a while, your body literally starts to "rewire" itself. Some people call it a "hormonal reset" while I have heard others describe it as "reprogramming your gene". I also went through a oily skin situation for a while and in fact my skin is still fairly oily - what has however happened is that the elasticity in my skin has improved resulting in a less "wrinkled" or "aged" look and a more youthful appearance of my skin - it is one of the most common remarks that I get from people who have not seen me in a while - that I look "younger". Embrace that for this is a positive change and the odd wipe with witch hazel will soon clear the oiliness up. FWIW, I have my free testosterone tested as well and that has gone up by more than 200% on LCHF - so it does definitely drive hormonal release.

I took my coffee intake to about 4 cups of good cappuccino's per day but then noticed that my weight started creeping up. I then measured my BG after consuming the coffee (I don't use any sugar in it) and noticed that it did indeed raised my BG, so I am now back to about 2 cups per day. Find what works for you, I don't believe there's a finite limit that can be set for coffee consumption.

We had a cheat meal last night, lamb shank with lots of potatoes (mash) followed by a pretty decent milkshake, but other than an amount of bloating following that, no adverse effects. Nice 3.5 hour MTB this morning and I am burning deep purple again !

Keep at it, it is the most awesome learning experience and you are clearly doing it right !

We had guests over for lunch today and I decided to take dessert into my own hands. That way I could at least come up with the healthiest thing I could think of. The outcome, Eton mess. I mean you can't go too wrong with cream and berries. Although there was meringue for those that wanted.

So I whipped up some cream with a little vanilla essence and diced up some strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. It was delicious. :thumbup: My only thing from a culinary perspective re the berries, in a non healthy world one adds a little sugar to the diced berries -some time before serving- in order to get all the juices "going" (don't know how to describe it.) Can one achieve this juicy berry situation by means other than sugar or squashing a few of the fruit?

Thought I'd post this since we have been meaning to find LC desserts.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, I thought I'd share my list of "lchf commandments". It's a mix of what I believe (and practice) and an attempt to provoke thought. I often have folk ask about my health / diet, so I put this list together and while back (and keep adding to it). I send it to them ... if they run screaming then that the end of the matter ... if they don't, then we can talk. :thumbup:

So, comments, additions, thoughts?

• LCHF is actually LC, Moderate Protein ,HF
  • Not all fats are good, not all carbs are bad
  • Refined Sugar, processed foods, grains, the oilseeds, and hydrogenated oils are the enemy.
  • The best fats are saturated fats. The worst fats are PUFAs.
  • Fruit is not the enemy (just stay away from high GI fruit). Fruit is not the same as refined sugar.
  • Aim for BG levels 4.8 - 5.2
  • Fasting works better when intermittent ie no pattern
  • Alcohol slows weight loss but is good for the heart (in moderation)
  • If it was not alive recently, don't eat it.
  • Eat, wait and feel. If you feel good, eat it again. If you feel lousy, don't eat it.
  • Cheating for 1-2 meals per week will not kill you. Sustained junk will.
  • Exercise for fun and stress relief.
  • Don't bother trying to exercise for weight loss … you can't outrun your mouth.
  • Train 90% slow, 10% explosive. Race fast. Have fun.
  • Separate hydration and energy source when exercising.
  • For every scientific study there is another one that disproves it. Read them all and think critically.
  • Be guided by what but what Grandma and the Bushmen ate.
  • Coffee and dark chocolate are (delicious) stimulants. Go easy.
  • Every writer, blogger, doctor, scientist has an agenda. Consider your own health. Look after n=1, not the whole population curve.
  • Inflammation, not cholesterol, is your enemy.
  • Stop stressing about the small things.
  • Loose the idea that each meal has to be a culinary delight.
  • Eat to live.

My additions in red font...

My additions in red font...

High GI fruit?

I assume these fall on that list; pineapple, melon, papaya, mango and bananas and I suppose all dried fruit?

High GI fruit?

I assume these fall on that list; pineapple, melon, papaya, mango and bananas and I suppose all dried fruit?

Fruit don't make you fat. People saying that should read the research better and stop reading popular blogs catering for the mass uninformed market.

Here is an article commenting on the recent Tim Noakes SAMJ article. Some sensible comments.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/ilive/2013/11/04/low-carb-high-fat-diet-is-flawed-ilive

At the risk of preaching to the choir, I thought I'd share my list of "lchf commandments". It's a mix of what I believe (and practice) and an attempt to provoke thought. I often have folk ask about my health / diet, so I put this list together and while back (and keep adding to it). I send it to them ... if they run screaming then that the end of the matter ... if they don't, then we can talk. :thumbup:

So, comments, additions, thoughts?

• LCHF is actually LC, Moderate Protein ,HF
  • Not all fats are good, not all carbs are bad
  • Refined Sugar, processed foods, grains, the oilseeds, and hydrogenated oils are the enemy.
  • The best fats are saturated fats. The worst fats are PUFAs.
  • Fruit is not the enemy (just stay away from high GI fruit). Fruit is not the same as refined sugar.
  • Aim for BG levels 4.8 - 5.2
  • Fasting works better when intermittent ie no pattern
  • Alcohol slows weight loss but is good for the heart (in moderation)
  • If it was not alive recently, don't eat it.
  • Eat, wait and feel. If you feel good, eat it again. If you feel lousy, don't eat it.
  • Cheating for 1-2 meals per week will not kill you. Sustained junk will.
  • Exercise for fun and stress relief.
  • Don't bother trying to exercise for weight loss … you can't outrun your mouth.
  • Train 90% slow, 10% explosive. Race fast. Have fun.
  • Separate hydration and energy source when exercising.
  • For every scientific study there is another one that disproves it. Read them all and think critically.
  • Be guided by what but what Grandma and the Bushmen ate.
  • Coffee and dark chocolate are (delicious) stimulants. Go easy.
  • Every writer, blogger, doctor, scientist has an agenda. Consider your own health. Look after n=1, not the whole population curve.
  • Inflammation, not cholesterol, is your enemy.
  • Stop stressing about the small things.
  • Loose the idea that each meal has to be a culinary delight.
  • Eat to live.

Worth posting as these should be some of your goals when improving your health.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have a higher than average cholesterol with good HDL:LDL ratios and Low triglycerides and a low HbA1c than being diagnosed with a "healthy" level of cholesterol.

You got it - spot on - just replace "low hba1c" with "low normal hba1c" - assuming by higher you don't mean more than about 20% higher than normal cholesterol levels...

EXCEPT - if you are a diabetic - then low Hba1c numbers are potentially lethal - any diabetic with an hba1c number below 6 is most likely having glucose low's that are even worse than having an hba1c number slightly over normal - collapsing because you are low can be fatal... I can't post patient pics without their permission (and I am not planning to ask) but a fractured skull is definitely a possibility - had one of those earlier this year - Fit, healthy diabetic, with an hba1c of 5.5 (so according to a lot of people, well controlled) - collapsed at the gym.. clipped his head on something... small fracture and some bleeding... NOT GOOD - 4 days in ICU, 4 more in high care...

And of course - the reminder that smoking is a MUCH bigger risk factor than slightly elevated cholesterol numbers - anyone who smokes is fooling themselves about several things.

High GI fruit?

Well yes and no. For example, dried apricots have a GI of 31 - that's very low. Goji berries around 29.

And high GI fruit have their uses. I love mango, bananas, and pineapple. But I don't just snack on them in case the carb monster wakes up.

So eating a banana first thing in the morning is probably not a great idea, but having one on the start line of a race just before the gun goes, or right after a hard ride, is great! There's nothing better than eating fresh ice cold grapes, or mango & pineapple slices straight out of the fridge after a long hot KZN summer ride. Man!

Much, much better than trying to get your glycogen replacement from grains like oats (full of phytic acid).

Fruit don't make you fat. People saying that should read the research better and stop reading popular blogs catering for the mass uninformed market.

Here is an article commenting on the recent Tim Noakes SAMJ article. Some sensible comments.

http://www.timeslive...is-flawed-ilive

I failed to read any medical/scientific facts in that article.

And the conclusion reads:

People don't get fat from eating too much pumpernickel (complex carbohydrates). They get fat from eating too much (our portion sizes are 1.5 to 5 times bigger than 50 years ago, but we don't realise that), from having too much processed meat in their diet, too much red meat, potato chips, French fries, refined carbs, sweets, desserts, cool drinks and alcohol.

Except for the red and processed meat, all the other food sources this genius claims to make us fat, are indeed carbs. Oh the irony

I failed to read any medical/scientific facts in that article.

And the conclusion reads:

Except for the red and processed meat, all the other food sources this genius claims to make us fat, are indeed carbs. Oh the irony

The article was not provided as source for scientific fatcs or research. It was not even related to the first paragraph. Don't look for something that is not there. Go read the original medical research articles, not dietdoctor blog .

Stress hormones (which causes aging and other diseases if chronically too high) like adrenaline and cortisol are at their highest in the night with cortisol levels prob at their highest first thing in the morning when you wake up. That is the best time to eat something with sugar in like fruit cause that brings down the stress hormone levels down quick. I normally start my day with a banana . It has to be ripe bananas though.

Well yes and no. For example, dried apricots have a GI of 31 - that's very low. Goji berries around 29.

And high GI fruit have their uses. I love mango, bananas, and pineapple. But I don't just snack on them in case the carb monster wakes up.

So eating a banana first thing in the morning is probably not a great idea, but having one on the start line of a race just before the gun goes, or right after a hard ride, is great! There's nothing better than eating fresh ice cold grapes, or mango & pineapple slices straight out of the fridge after a long hot KZN summer ride. Man!

Much, much better than trying to get your glycogen replacement from grains like oats (full of phytic acid).

Well aware of their uses, most of my fruit consumption is on the bike and directly after.

Now that I can consume dairy again, my recovery meals have gone over to milk, fruit and Greek style yoghurt with half a teaspoon raw honey as well as leftover veggies. I suppose now that I'm steering away from oats, I'll probably start having my "primal coffee" again. How I have missed that. (I haven't had it because I threw all those ingredients into the oats.)

One thing that I realised now with reading this is that when most people go onto LCHF, they are coming from a lifestyle full of refined carbs. I'm not trying to retract from LCHF but what if majority of the weight loss experienced on LCHF can be contributed to all the junk and grains that have been removed?

In my case, already coming from a diet extremely low on grains and refined/processed foods, my weight barely even budged.

So maybe credit isn't given where it is due because "In their conclusions, they could very well be confusing cause and correlation."

Here is the healthy Harvard pyramid that Dr Luc Evenepoel are reffering to in his article.

Whole grains???? Trans fat free margarine????

I think the pyramid is better, but not sure If I still believe the "healthy whole grains" debacle.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/files/2012/10/healthy-eating-pyramid-700-link.jpg

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/files/2013/04/HEPApr2013-1024x800.jpg