LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's in a bulletproof coffee again?

It is good coffee with some good butter in it (& cream if you like) :devil: Will try and get the original recipe...

Snytjie, do you not have a gut reaction to bread/wheat ? I simply cannot eat wheat anymore, I blow up like a balloon. So I am curious as to what you would replace that marmite sandwich with if you had to drop the bread ?

On that topic though, why marmite and not nutella ? (Just from a carb point of view).

Where did you do the RER and VO2max tests ? I got my VO2Max results immediately, so I am wondering why yours is taking a week - is it the RER portion (did they take muscle samples ?) ?

Hi htone,

I have no ill effects from the wheat. I eat marmite sandwiches as they are part of the Ironman oncourse nutrition, and I thought it best to get used to it. If I wasn't eating that, I would probably opt for a potato with salt and butter. It's really about the salty part. As one contender said recently: after 10 hours of sweet gels and drinks the marmite sandwiches tasted like lobster...

I did the VOmax and RER test at the SSISA and at UCT's division. It was gas/breath analysis. I'm not sure how the test group was selected: I was referred to them after enquiring about the costs of testing my RER. I don't know why it takes two weeks. They probably want to conclude all the reporting before sending out the results.

Hey, I've hit the wall on this way of eating... i am missing fruit (havent eaten any tho), haven't stopped sugar in my coffee and have picked up 3kg. I have also stopped training (just for a while, I just dont feel like it and am trying not to make it an issue).

I'm not sure how to get back ...

I came across an interesting product called Vespa Power and there is a similar product sold here called Hornet Juice.

Hornet Juice works by activating the metabolism of fat for energy right from the start of your physical activity.

Your body has two primary sources of energy - glycogenand fat stored by the body.

Glycogen is easily burned in a short period of time and serves as a source of stamina in events that require a burst of energy. The disadvantage with this is the limited amount of glycogen reserves your body has. Your stores of glycogen are not sufficient to provide energy during exercise of long duration.

Conversely, fat is stored in abundance by the body, although it is generally difficult to convert into energy, requiring large amounts of oxygen to do so.

Hornet Juice works by quickly converting your body fat into a supply of energy during exercise.

Sounds interesting, apparently it helps your body to get into ketosis faster

These findings suggest that an additive effect of exercise and the vespa amino acid mixture ingestion might stimulate hepatic ketogenesis and consequently increase blood ketone body concentrations during exercise under postprandial conditions. Furthermore, fat oxidation is still activated during athletic exercise, despite high blood glucose levels (from food digestion).

Can someone please tell me what is so wrong with fruit?

If you are not diabetic and/or have any other medical reason not to eat fruit, what are you denying yourself this food source for?

Certain fruit can mess with your blood glucose levels.

But I'm not against fruit. In a race I'll rather have a banana than a gel

Certain fruit can mess with your blood glucose levels.

But I'm not against fruit. In a race I'll rather have a banana than a gel

Sure, certain fruit. But definitely not all fruit. There is a lot of fruit one can eat and still enjoy a very healthy paleo diet with a high daily fat intake.

Example: I can easily maintain 80 - 100g daily carbs on average per week and I enjoy my fruit. I love fruit, I find it delicious but also very healthy and packed with nutrients. Having fruit in my diet adds huge value to my life. And it certainly doesn't cause me to crave sweet things.

Beef has a higher insulin response than some fruit.

We've been talking a lot recently about kefir on this site as a great paleo food. I agree. But it causes a very high insulin response. So does yoghurt. Higher than many fruits such as apples, grapefruit, etc. A lot of us seem to use whey protein. That causes an extraordinarily high insulin response, yet we don't see anything wrong with it.

Apples cause about the same insulin response as fish does. Yet we all love fish.

Again, what is the problem with fruit?

Again, what is the problem with fruit?

Attia's take - in normal Attia style it takes some reading...

http://eatingacademy...-and-vegetables

Personally, I like fruit. I don't eat as much as I did, but if i'm going to eat something sweet, rather fruit than a lunchbar.

But bottom line, if you can fit it into your carb limit, why not?

PS: My favorite fruit - for me, pineapple works best... ;-)

Edited by davetapson

Doing a road trip to JNB on Sunday (the second trip by car in a month and I really enjoyed the drive and the time to clear my mind on the previous one so I am doing it again). I packed some lekker "padkos" on my last trip, except I ended up taking more than 2x the amount that I needed. In colour coded plastic lunchboxes - one filled with droëwors and the other with biltong and kaiings. This goes in my bag during the day as well, so I am never stuck without LCHF options. Just thought that I would show the travellers that it is doable ! For breakfast for the 5 days, I take a litre of cream and enough protein powder for 5 shakes. Simple and takes up minimal space.post-36230-0-28789400-1374267776_thumb.jpg

And it does not spoil..This way of eating is actually easy especially if one is travelling.. Remember the old "tomato on bread" sandwich in school lunch box.. :blink: :blink: :wacko:

Attia's take - in normal Attia style it takes some reading...

http://eatingacademy...-and-vegetables

Personally, I like fruit. I don't eat as much as I did, but if i'm going to eat something sweet, rather fruit than a lunchbar.

But bottom line, if you can fit it into your carb limit, why not?

PS: My favorite fruit - for me, pineapple works best... ;-)

If think Dave has hit the nail on the head i.e. if you can fit it into your carb limit.

Issue is that when you are trying to stick to under 40g of carbs a day and an apple is close to a third of that I would prefer to box smart and get my carbs from a more "filling" source ito satiety.

That said I love my fruit so will generally have 8 strawberries a day with double thick woolies ayeshire cream. As that fills me far more than an apple would and is around the same carb content