Sailing

Witkop

The problem is that there's some form of bastard jib on the Halcat - it's most assuredly not it's original. It's in relatively good nick but I reckon it's around 80% of full size. Fits like g-string on a fat guy

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, also looking for some fun places to sail the Halcat. Only know of Bronkies and Vaaldam - anywhere else I can go? I spoke to the Pretoria Yacht Club and thought the woman was going to vomit at me mentioning a Halcat on Rietvlei  :clap: So that's a no go.

Oh yeah, also looking for some fun places to sail the Halcat. Only know of Bronkies and Vaaldam - anywhere else I can go? I spoke to the Pretoria Yacht Club and thought the woman was going to vomit at me mentioning a Halcat on Rietvlei  :clap: So that's a no go.

The rules for usage on Rietvlei dam prevents the use of catermans and power boats.  Also the dam is not suitable for cat sailing as it is a bit small and the wind shifts horribly.  These two factors will play havoc with a cat as changing direction is a real cat problem.  Bronkies has a cat club, is bigger and experience a stronger more consistent wind making it ideal for the cat community.  Roodeplaat dam may also be an option, though it seems to be mostly powerboats.

problem with buying cheap boats, is replacing the stuff that's broken...hope you can make a plan!

Yup. 

Rob de Vlieg can make me a new sail fro R2800 - much better than R4K. I'm doing a bit of a refit at the same time, replacing most cleats, all pulleys, all stays and cables. Hulls are very solid, just need a lick of paint. Mast is ding-free, has a new trampoline on, some new ropes and bits and bobs. Probably going to spend the boat's price on upgrades/fixes, but then she'll be sweet again.

• 2 months later...

Wow, just Wow!!!  So much speed and control with all that sail. (Just one reef?)

Leg 11 on the roll - live  on FB

Its so close, the three top dawgs on equal points, after an orbit of the earth!

Freeking amazing!

That's also an awesome ad for the DJI!

ja. i think they must have lost a few along the way!

After 9 months, three boats with the same points on the last leg and it came down to the throw of the dice (route around an exclusion zone)  - now its done & dusted, and the Chinese boat took the honors.

Hard core sport this ... coverage was just awesome, thanks to the Interwebs.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Im a sailor! Did a 4 year round the world trip when I was 13 with my folks.

Also ex Dart 18 National champ. Top South African team at some of the world champs we went to. Here are some pics

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m02s16.png

vlcsnap-2012-02-17-14h28m13s124.png

FB_IMG_1555404288983_zpss9y3qtfv.jpg

FB_IMG_1555404264145_zpspiheg7mv.jpg

Yacht is in Trinidad at the moment. Folks go there once a year for a few months. Trying to get back there soon

Edited by Shaunie_g