Sailing

Witkop

Yes, really sad & bad news last night. 

Series seas & breeze down there, and closest to the middle on nowhere. Sea temps about 7 deg C.

They had a man overboard on the way to HK as well, but that was in warm relatively calm water. The skip made the point then that if this happened in the south seas with high swells he would have stood no chance.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jis I was devastated to read the update this morning after seeing the first newsflash about it last night.

Was even more horrified that someone already updated to see this wiki has already been updated with his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_accidents_in_sailboat_racing

As romantic as sailing is, the risks are massive.

I remember watching their fb video of their first man overboard situation thinking how stresfull it must be, and now this in stormy seas? Rough.

So .... Jan Taks het besluit om vir my 'n speelding te koop vir kersfees.

Hobie 16? or something else? I'll just potter around on Bronkies and Vaaldam mostly, maybe once to twice a month.

And finally, krismis is here. Had a couple of leads on boats, but they all panned out to be floating turds. 

On my way to pick up a Halcat from Harties  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with a second hand Halcat Jib sail laying around? Or know of any sailmakers that can make me a new one?

Anyone with a second hand Halcat Jib sail laying around? Or know of any sailmakers that can make me a new one?

You can ask at new generation yachting in Randburg.  Failing that either texwise or the Hobie shop (Also in Randburg area) may be able to help.

Rob de Vlieg at Supa Sails is the sailmaker in Joburg.

Thanks, already spoke to Nichol at NGY ... eish R4000 for a new jib for a Halcat .... only paid a little more than that for the whole boat.

I have patched old sails with sail tape to make them last longer.  Only my finn has a new sail.  It also cost more than the boat did. :blink: :wacko: :eek: