Sailing

Witkop

All comes down to the final race. Oracle have now won 7 on the trot, with etnz being on match point the entire time.

It's been amazing to follow. 10:10pm tonight, streaming on YouTube. Download the app and you can follow on live line simultaneously.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so it stays with Oracle(and out of the courts). I think Deano has aged 10 years in the past week.

I really hope ETNZ can stick together, hopefully the CoR can be the right negotiator to find the balance between using this amazing technology but at lower costs to get more teams in. We might actually see a defender series if not.

the skeptics are all talking about the three aussies on the winning boat(but not the 2 kiwis and their kiwi CEO/mastermind off it)

http://dlo9dp2r69urx.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/USAUS1-1024x537.jpg

Apparently only one Yank on the Team USA Boat?

Nevermind, Uncle Larry has deep pockets. It's the American way. Money talks?

Reminds me of the Nazi Rocketeers that built the Saturn rockets that got them to the Moon.

Apparently only one Yank on the Team USA Boat?

Nevermind, Uncle Larry has deep pockets. It's the American way. Money talks?

Reminds me of the Nazi Rocketeers that built the Saturn rockets that got them to the Moon.

It's the global way. Weren't many swiss guys on ailinghi boat either. He did really push the 'nationalities' rule of the cup this time. took away requirements for sailors to be from the challenging country. All that was required was for boat to be built at home. 70% of it was built in a boatyard Oracle is an owner of...in Auckland.

The tactician was john kostecki. 2nd most important oke on the boat. hugely experienced and a SF local. He got the boot when things weren't looking good.

Team shosholoza (2007) did pretty well with limited resources and a mostly local crew

http://www.etruscancharter.com/web/img/foto_shosholoza.jpg

bought a boat off the italians and repainted it. That was the training boat, the race one was built in somerset west

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200707/america-s-cup---team-4_600x0w.jpg

yeah and Shosholoza were undone by a few things after 2007.

Rand dollar exchange rate, and cost once the 2010 Oracle challenge won and annouced the AC72.

Those AC72 are roughly twice the cost of the IACC90. and that excludes the higher maintenance on the wing sail.

As foir the 34thAC, its a caseof money wins. I also smell a rat in that that Oracle boat gained over 90 sec on the course in under a week. I suspect there was a 12th crewman called Mr Data

What a comeback by Team Oracle USA!

However, I do feel that even the South African cricket team would have been impressed by the ETNZ choking act.

Oracle did a magic job of staying focused even when it looked like it was all over. Focused on the basics and absolutely dominated the starts. It would only have taken 1 mistake and ETNZ would have had them. That mistake never came and the Kiwis crumbled. Awesome contest. Greatest Americas Cup EVER!

Sir Ben Ainslie was the magic bullet, as soon as TEAM USA dumped their other tactician, the boat started flying. Also in race 17 the final hook on the start line was pure genius. It seems to me SIr Ben had a marked difference on team morale, losing only one race and winning the rest on a trot. So it seems that a UK/AUS/NZ/USA partnership clinched the deal in the end. It is sad that a sailing mad country such as NZ, AUS or UK could not lift the trophy this year.

I ts much more sad than that. The winning boat was built in New Zealand by an Oracle owned, New Zealand created and based company.

Th winning teams CEO is the most successful sailor in the history of the AC, Sir Russell Coutts, A New Zealander.

The Mircale turn around came after the New Zealand based designed team flew out a couple of engineering guru's to tweak the automatic foiling system.

The wing was repositioned and the foils given forward rake to increase the boats stability.Those were the silver bullets. Money and technology won the day.Only twice in the history of the America's cup has a lesser funded team won it; in 1995 when Sir Peter Blakes Team NewZealands Black Magic trounced Dennis Conner's One America 5-0 and then again in 2000 when New Zealand successfully defend against Italy's Prada Challenge.

I ts much more sad than that. The winning boat was built in New Zealand by an Oracle owned, New Zealand created and based company.

Th winning teams CEO is the most successful sailor in the history of the AC, Sir Russell Coutts, A New Zealander.

The Mircale turn around came after the New Zealand based designed team flew out a couple of engineering guru's to tweak the automatic foiling system.

The wing was repositioned and the foils given forward rake to increase the boats stability.Those were the silver bullets. Money and technology won the day.Only twice?? in the history of the America's cup has a lesser funded team won it; in 1995 when Sir Peter Blakes Team NewZealands Black Magic trounced Dennis Conner's One America 5-0 and then again in 2000 when New Zealand successfully defend against Italy's Prada Challenge.

There probably was no silver bullet, just plenty of marginal gains. JK definitely got a raw deal as he didn't have the boatspeed advantage in the first week.

I think you've discounted the fact that the NZ team was just better prepared on day one of the regatta. This often happens as the LV is the only real competition you can do. Two boat testing for the defender is never going to reproduce that. Don't forget that oracle lost loads of training time from the capsize, and they had to throw in a new wing trimmer on the boat with a weeks notice. Oracle just had so much more room to improve whereas ETNZ was much closer to optimised. They also had a serious approach to using big data on testing, refining the boat.

The richest team very often doesn't win. Sir Thomas Lipton threw a blank cheque at it five times and never succeeded. Nothing new in this game, if you want to see who is the best sailor then you go to the Olympics and race one designs(Dean Barker tried that too).

aaaand maybe it's not over

Source Close To Team NZ Says Americas Cup Lawsuit Being Prepared Over "Herbie" Foil Trimming Modification

By Alastair Thompson

Team New Zealand is preparing a legal challenge in the wake of the remarkable Oracle Team USA up-wind speed turnaround in the Americas Cup Regatta which ended this Thursday morning (NZ Time) with a Team USA victory.

A source very close to the Team New Zealand camp who has recently returned to Wellington today told Scoop Independent News that the Team NZ camp had immediately realised that there was something wrong when after playing a race postponement campaign Team USA's boat's performance suddenly dramatically improved.

The basis of Team NZ's concerns are detailed in a report posted to Sail-World.com which included a lengthy extract from notes which the report says, "are circulating in Auckland Media Circles", dated 23 September, but released to Sail-World.com on the 26th. The notes are re-posted in full below

There probably was no silver bullet, just plenty of marginal gains. JK definitely got a raw deal as he didn't have the boatspeed advantage in the first week.

I think you've discounted the fact that the NZ team was just better prepared on day one of the regatta. This often happens as the LV is the only real competition you can do. Two boat testing for the defender is never going to reproduce that. Don't forget that oracle lost loads of training time from the capsize, and they had to throw in a new wing trimmer on the boat with a weeks notice. Oracle just had so much more room to improve whereas ETNZ was much closer to optimised. They also had a serious approach to using big data on testing, refining the boat.

The richest team very often doesn't win. Sir Thomas Lipton threw a blank cheque at it five times and never succeeded. Nothing new in this game, if you want to see who is the best sailor then you go to the Olympics and race one designs(Dean Barker tried that too).

During the Youtube commentary of one of the races a viewer posted that the Oracle boat appeared so stable it looked as if it was controlled by computer. The next race commentary was disabled.....

For those interested in sailing, the Pretoria Sailing Club is hosting an open day at Reitvlei dam on 12 Oct 13. Check their website ww.psc.org.za