Your Enduro ride

Robodog

Good job HH. can see the seams of the taping though. will it stand out further with dust and future washing?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HH: looks good...

Just a word of caution: be careful when removing the vinyl - it can pull the clear lacquer/paint off.

Your Shova not that happy with the DHX 4.0?

I , like many others with same setup, am struggeling with bottoming out issues with the DHX on the Shovas.

So much so that you have to run very little sag to prevent bottoming out.

I shimmed the large volume part of the air sleeve as well as spaced the travel down with travel spacers which also rexuces air in the 'normal' air sleeve section.

It's a lot better now, but I still need to run high-ish pressure: 220psi

I have been contemplating running a monarch for quite some time now.

Having met Sidewinder on his Shova this weekend & discussing 'life after dhx' he said he hadn't realised he rode a hardtail for all that time with the dhx.

I am a bit bigger (read fatter) than Sidewinder, so I suppose the Monarch would fit my setup perfectly as well & I can have a dual suspension Shova at long last

I , like many others with same setup, am struggeling with bottoming out issues with the DHX on the Shovas.

I shimmed the large volume part of the air sleeve as well as spaced the travel down with travel spacers which also rexuces air in the 'normal' air sleeve section.

Having met Sidewinder on his Shova this weekend & discussing 'life after dhx' he said he hadn't realised he rode a hardtail for all that time with the dhx.

I am a bit bigger (read fatter) than Sidewinder, so I suppose the Monarch would fit my setup perfectly as well & I can have a dual suspension Shova at long last

Fully agree man. The Shova should have a DHX on it. RP23 or Monarch will be sweet.

Fully agree man. The Shova should never have had a DHX on it. RP23 or Monarch will be sweet.

I am looking for a RockShox Monach RT3 (200mm x 50mm) if anyone has one to sell or want to swop for a FOX DHX air (200mm x 57mm).

http://www.thehubsa....ox-monarch-rt3/

Fully agree man. The Shova should have a DHX on it. RP23 or Monarch will be sweet.

I don't think the problem is so much your model of shock, so much as your stroke length.

I know of other people that also had Shova's with incorrect stroke lengths on the shock, so you're not the only person with this problem.

The Shova was designed to have a 200x50mm shock.

Think about it though... 7mm of extra stroke length x leverage ratio, that translates into 20.3mm extra travel that the bike now wants to use, but can't due to mechanical limitations. Naturally it will bottom out.

Does your rear wheel hit the seat tube when you bottom out?

So yes, the 200x50 Monarch will sort your problem out. But so will any 200x50 rear shock (including a DHX Air).

I don't think the problem is so much your model of shock, so much as your stroke length.

I know of other people that also had Shova's with incorrect stroke lengths on the shock, so you're not the only person with this problem.

Think about it though... 7mm of extra stroke length x leverage ratio, that translates into 20.3mm extra travel that the bike now wants to use, but can't due to mechanical limitations. Naturally it will bottom out.

So yes, the 200x50 Monarch will sort your problem out. But so will any 200x50 rear shock (including a DHX Air).

Agreed. I am talking about the DHX that Morewood sent the last frames out with. All with 57mmm stroke.

Have you ever tried to find a reasonably priced rp23 or O2 with those measurements? Not so easy :thumbdown:

I am looking for a RockShox Monach RT3 (200mm x 50mm) if anyone has one to sell or want to swop for a FOX DHX air (200mm x 57mm).

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/75408-wanted-rockshox-monarch-rt3/

I have experienced the displeasure of riding with a grumpy Sidewinder (on a number of occasions) because of the 7mm too long stroke. The correct length ja made all the difference to his riding demeanour.

I have experienced the displeasure of riding with a grumpy Sidewinder (on a number of occasions) because of the 7mm too long stroke. The correct length ja made all the difference to his riding demeanour.

I didn't hear sidewinder complaining that the stroke was too long at the knoll...

So yes, the 200x50 Monarch will sort your problem out.

But so will any 200x50 rear shock :thumbup: (including a DHX Air).

I totally agree with you that the shock for the Shova should have a 50mm stroke, but my issue isn't only 'mechanical bottoming out'. In other words having the rear tyre rub on the derailleur cable stop when shock is (almost to) fully compressed, but it also blows through it's travel quite easily. Hence the high psi level.

This makes it to be harsh initially in the stroke (sag) & still blow through the travel.

I made some shims on the lathe to reduce the air in the main air chamber as well as cut a thin plastic sheet to put in the "high volume" sction of the air sleeve.

This makes for a much more progressive stroke as well as shortening the stroke length from 57mm to about 50-52-ish mm.

The first pic has 1 of the test shims installed that I've made which is very similar to the 1 Fox has aftermarket (white spacers in last pic)

I had a more progressive stroke, but it still bottomed out (on the stroke length & not on the tyre / seat tube).

This made me to try 1 last shim as I was becoming agitated with the shock keeping on bottoming, so I made one which is "double sided".

It looks like 2 of them put together back to back. (unfortunately no pic)

This 'combo' along with the 'shim sheet' gave me the best results so far, but doesn't seem as plush (initially) as Sidewinder's setup.

I still can't really run it softer / lower than 220psi otherwise it will bottom out when doing 2.5 - 3 foot drops.

post-25067-0-73687300-1389685084_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-75402000-1389685504_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-31519600-1389685529_thumb.jpg

post-25067-0-67437700-1389685705_thumb.jpg

I didn't hear sidewinder complaining that the stroke was too long at the knoll...

I fitted the rt3 before then at shawswood. Unless you're confusing me with Goose11111111 and his black beauty :whistling:

Archived