Your Enduro ride

RockCoach

Guest Latent Blue

Dh is a single section. Should be more technically demanding. Enduro will have technical timed section with liason intermediates. Trail riding is not a timed event and involves technical mountain riding. All mountain is probably similar to trail but with fewer predetermined routes, try ride like the crow flies and make your own.

Thx... but what is different in the bikes? Mostly shock setup? Or is there more to it...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thx... but what is different in the bikes? Mostly shock setup? Or is there more to it...

Not really, Kalahari...

They're just bigger and stronger than your garden variety Trail bike. 160mm travel or thereabouts. And off-the-shelf frames etc. No special stuffs.

So humor me if you will guys. I'm a bit of a mtb dumbass... Whats the criteria for an enduro ride vd dh vs trail??

If you picture the three in order, from most technically challenging to "easiest" DH, AM, trail.

DH is straight down the hill in as short space of time. Object is speed over the most physically demanding trails but on a purpose built bike.

AM is speed over trails that are also physically demanding but as the name denotes, is not just one way down. Speed is not the real emphasis of AM, it can be ridden at any speed that the trail allows but generally the design of the track will require more speed than trail as the obstacles will test the riders' skill and bike, sometimes to the limits. Enduro is the event of AM where speed is the emphasis. Only special stages are timed, the trip to the stage start line are not timed, but a penalty exists for taking too long (arriving outside of the window period).

Trail riding is the sport of getting on your bike and riding wherever you want, however you choose. Pack your lunch if you mean to be out for the whole day. Suspension, gears, tubes.. it's all up to you.

DH is all about the descent. Technicality bordering on ridiculous. Timed. Single day event.

Enduro is about endurance capability to climb and do near DH level technical descending. Descent stages timed. Single Day or multi-day event.

XC-O is endurance capability for climbing and descending with varying degrees of descent technicality. Timed laps.

XC-M is pure distance endurance on dirt. Some technicality. Timed. Single or multi-day event.

AM/Trail/MTB can be all of the above, varying degrees of technicality, varying degrees of travel. untimed. For fun.

If you picture the three in order, from most technically challenging to "easiest" DH, AM, trail.

DH is straight down the hill in as short space of time. Object is speed over the most physically demanding trails but on a purpose built bike.

AM is speed over trails that are also physically demanding but as the name denotes, is not just one way down. Speed is not the real emphasis of AM, it can be ridden at any speed that the trail allows but generally the design of the track will require more speed than trail as the obstacles will test the riders' skill and bike, sometimes to the limits. Enduro is the event of AM where speed is the emphasis. Only special stages are timed, the trip to the stage start line are not timed, but a penalty exists for taking too long (arriving outside of the window period).

Trail riding is the sport of getting on your bike and riding wherever you want, however you choose. Pack your lunch if you mean to be out for the whole day. Suspension, gears, tubes.. it's all up to you.

Good description

Guest Omega Man

So what is the epic then?

the epic is the opposite of epic.

Guest Latent Blue

the epic is the opposite of epic.

hahaha... but if you finish you are kinda epic

Thought I'd post my Trance with a couple of changes to it:

Fox Talas 140

KS dropper post

C6 chain guide (2x)

Maxxis Highroller/ Minion tires