torque wrench

rock

Take a park stand, there’s park tool extremely expensive vs R300 cheapie, if used and stored correctly, it will last a lifetime. I’ve had mine for nearly four your, built multiple bikes, use it all the time and it still looks brand new. If you develop a passion for something, you’ll automatically upgrade without informing the government. Attached is my first torque and my current wrench. Honestly, I’ve never had an issue with the first 1, it’s all about being ballpark.

For anyone interested, the orange one is called the Ocarina (looks like the musical instrument - random fact of the day) and gets good reviews ito accuracy. The drawback is that it only goes up to 10, but I like the type / design. The newer model also has an easier to read gauge.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/maintenance/tools-kits-and-boxes/torque-wrench/icetoolz-ocarina-torque-wrench-review/

51-6X30RqYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I see CWCycles has the E212 that goes from 5-25 for R749 atm. Watched an instructional video and it's quite a big heavy tool, not something you just carry around.

41rI9OCtYgL.jpg

Edited by MrJacques

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested, the orange one is called the Ocarina (looks like the musical instrument - random fact of the day) and gets good reviews ito accuracy. The drawback is that it only goes up to 10, but I like the type / design. The newer model also has an easier to read gauge.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/maintenance/tools-kits-and-boxes/torque-wrench/icetoolz-ocarina-torque-wrench-review/

51-6X30RqYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I see CWCycles has the E212 that goes from 5-25 for R749 atm. Watched an instructional video and it's quite a big heavy tool, not something you just carry around.

41rI9OCtYgL.jpg

I’ve got the bottom one. Does what I need, but I’ve got nothing to compare it to

Add to this that few people actually know how to use a torque wrench, nor how to store it between projects ....

Set to the required torques setting ..... GENTLY tighten until you hear the click - STOP !!!! I have seen people turn right past that click, and continue turning until the bolt snapped .... totally oblivious of what the "click" was for ....

When done with your project, UNDO the tension on the wrench setting ....

Last sentence makes sense, I did not think of that, going outside to release the tension on my wrench now (somehow that sounds kinky)

Yes but no fittings   :wacko:

Edited by Theog

Yes but no fittings   :wacko:

I made my own. Got small quarter sockets and cut up a few old Allen keys, fit and some pratley steel, works like a bomb. Got a nice special and a park tool set, but half drive, need to get a quarter to half drive converter.

post-59224-0-40801400-1607884888_thumb.jpeg

For some reason I have more trust in my hand than than my torque wrench...haha

Me too but Carbon these days with a 6NM torque scares me, just a pinch then you end up with a crack especially around the stem area.

For some reason I have more trust in my hand than than my torque wrench...haha

Many moons ago, before the boep, and when I still had hair ..... snapped a few bolts in awkward spots ....

Learnt about Easyouts ... aint so easy !

Learnt to tachweld a nut to half a thread sticking out of a block ....

And then I learnt the value of a torque wrench....

Over the years I have accumulated a range of tool bits.  You will need some Torx bits if you ever own an Opel ... thus the range of 1/2'' drive bits to the right.

If you want to work on modern equipment you will need all kinds of variants of the Torx bits, some with centre holes, others with prongs, etc ....  So when I had the opportunity to buy a multi bit set I did not hesitate.  I do have my doubts as to the quality of these bits, so the Bosch set gets used 98% of the time.

The baby torque wrench is only used on the bicycles.  Which also required a 3/8ths adapter to the hex of the normal small bits.  The larger torque wrenches are kept with the car tools ...

post-110956-0-73838700-1607923312_thumb.jpg

Using a torque wrench properly, ie setting the torque value, using it, unwinding to pack away .... this becomes a shlep for the small jobs.  So I LOVE the little T-wrenches.  Even better, once at the set value it ratchets, so no chance of over tightening.  The one is 5N.m, and the other 6N.m, the most common values on a bike, so these are used most of the time.

post-110956-0-15513500-1607923854_thumb.jpg

It is so easy and fool proof, that anybody can use it ....

post-110956-0-67658200-1607924121_thumb.jpg

Take a park stand, there’s park tool extremely expensive vs R300 cheapie, if used and stored correctly, it will last a lifetime. I’ve had mine for nearly four your, built multiple bikes, use it all the time and it still looks brand new. If you develop a passion for something, you’ll automatically upgrade without informing the government. Attached is my first torque and my current wrench. Honestly, I’ve never had an issue with the first 1, it’s all about being ballpark.

Oooh Wera! Im a big fan of their tools. I didnt even know they made torque wrenches but I think I need one now.

Oooh Wera! Im a big fan of their tools. I didnt even know they made torque wrenches but I think I need one now.

Best R4000 you'll spend  :thumbup:

You can go extreme on this or you can also just buy the old style Park Tool torque wrench with the deflection gauge. Pointer attached to a scale. Worked for me for a long time. I think i got it from Cyclelab. They have lots of tools.

You can go extreme on this or you can also just buy the old style Park Tool torque wrench with the deflection gauge. Pointer attached to a scale. Worked for me for a long time. I think i got it from Cyclelab. They have lots of tools.

I think it's discontinued, according to a review I read.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the Axis set the other day. But for the life of me I can't get it to 'click' over at any torque setting.

I've tried tightening just about everything on my bike and short of stripping every bolt I can't get it to click over, even at 2nm.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Am I missing something (obvious)?