The 100th Edition Of The Tour de France: Chirps, Opinions, News, Updates.

'Dale

Pick the yellow and green jersey winners.  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reign in Yellow?

• Froome Dawg (Sky)
    • Contador (Saxo Tinkoff)
    • A Schleck, Radioshack
    • Evans (BMC)
    • Uran (Sky)
    • Tejay (BMC)
    • Gesink (Blanco)
    • Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp
    • Valverde (Movistar)
    • J Rodriquez (Katusha)
    • Suprize package!
  2. 2. Who will reign in Green?

• Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling)
    • Cav' (Omega Pharma Quickstep)
    • Greipel (Lotto Bellisol)
    • Bouhanni (FDJ)
    • Goss (Orica-Greenedge)
    • Surprize package?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one mentioned Froome either, the "some people" you are referring to made a comment in reference to your comment regarding Contador.

I see it's all really lost on you today.

Not biting... nothing is lost on me. You have your theory, I have mine. Lets leave it at that :thumbup:

Not biting... nothing is lost on me. You have your theory, I have mine. Lets leave it at that :thumbup:

Nothing to bite, you made a comment as to why you "speculate " why Contador might be under performing.

I commented and nearly had my words echoed by Daideron on his last post.

Ultimately we all reach the same conclusion.

I still disagree with the fact that Contador might be underperforming because his steak supply has run dry, he is just beyond his prime.

(He might even surprise us next week , who knows)

If I wanted to troll and bait I would have typed a sh!# load less .

The hairpin at the end is what I meant ;)

Last 2km (I think) will see if I can find it

Nothing to bite, you made a comment as to why you "speculate " why Contador might be under performing.

I still disagree with the fact that Contador might be underperforming because his steak supply has run dry, he is just beyond his prime.

Agreed on Berto matter

The hairpin at the end is what I meant ;)

From Cycling News preview

The sprinters and their teams will no doubt have studied the finish of the stage. It includes two right hand turns inside the final kilometre.

After Cavs incident yesterday here is a list of 10 other incidents

1. The greatest ever - Eddy Merckx being punched in the stomach by a spectator on the Puy de Dome in the 1975 Tour. Watch on Youtube

2. Giuseppe Guerini being knocked off his bike by a spectator taking a photograph on the Alpe D’Huez during the 1999 Tour. Fortunately he picked himself up and still went on to win the stage. Video link Go to 1min 45 secs

3. The famous crash in Armentieres in 1994 when a policeman, again leaning out to take a photograph, was hit by Wilfried Nelissen, bringing down Laurent Jalabert as well.

The crash effectively ended Nelissen’s career. After this incident police were removed from those positions in the finish straight. Watch on Youtube Go to 21 mins 45 secs

4. Lance Armstrong crashing on Luz Ardiden in the 2003 Tour when his handlebar got caught in a spectator’s musette.

Go to 1min 10 secs

5. Tacks on the road is nothing new, making an appearance as long ago as 1903 when fans tried to sabotage riders. Similar incidents have occurred most recently in the Pyrenees last year. They also made a smaller appearance in Corsica last week.

6. Dogs make a frequent but unwelcome visit to the Tour, but none more dramatic than the 18th stage of the Tour to Angouleme in 2007.

Frenchman Sandy Casar was spectacularly felled by a wayward dog whilst in a breakaway. He remounted to go on and win the stage.

7. In the Tour of 1958 Andre Darrigade was in a collision with the then General Secretary of the Parc des Princes, Constant Wouters.

The Tour was finishing on the famous Velodrome when Wouters crossed the track to stop photographers encroaching too close.

The crash cost the life of Wouters. Darrigade cracked his skull and broke ribs, but was able to return and complete a lap of honour.

8. In 2006 coming into Strasbourg, Thor Hushovd, whilst sprinting to the line close to the barriers, was struck by a comically large sponsors cut-out-hand that you see fans waving.

The hand caught Hushovd on the upper arm causing a deep gash. Fortunately he still stayed upright and went on to finish 9th. As a result these huge hands were banned within the last 2kms of stages.

9. Strikes and demonstrations are also a frequent visitor to the Tour. Fortunately they are rare nowadays. Police intelligence has reduced the risk of the Tour being brought to a halt. However, historically it was an issue.

10. It was in 1983 in the Paris-Nice; in a break just coming off a mountain descent when the road was completely blocked by a demonstration of some kind. Bernard Hinault was in the group but he wasn’t going to let these people stop him, he ploughed straight into them, fell, got up and hit the first person he saw. The route was soon cleared and we were on our way again very quickly.

Of course it made headlines all over the world.

Again, you have your opinion - Contador has run out of gas and is also rusty from his break, it has nothing to do with him no longer being on 'steak' and whatever else.

I have noted your opinion, but my opinion is however still different to that - I look at a rider who is at the prime age for a Tour rider, a rider who was heralded as possibly being the greatest tour rider ever, a rider who has ridden for Saiz at Liberty Seguros, Bruyneel at Astana, Riis at Saxo (Dopings DS hall of fame) and a rider that looks an absolute shadow of his former self now that the spotlight is heavily on doping, his performances and the questionable ethics of his team manager...

Now can I be left to have my opinion and we can get back to the tour :thumbup:

From Cycling News preview

The sprinters and their teams will no doubt have studied the finish of the stage. It includes two right hand turns inside the final kilometre.

There is going to be some serious battles between the trains heading into that last kilometer! Serious kahoonas to battle it out in a sprint like today :o