Proper Mtb races

divernick

Well, one man's crazy hill is another mans quick stomping on the pedals to the top.

Perhaps we should establish the criteria for a proper MTB race. Once again, this is very subjective, and these races listed will probably only piss off the run-of-the-mill Mountainbiker.

The general attitude of all the participants of the Monster was great, and as stated in that thread, like the days when mounainbiking was not the new golf.

People asked for track politely up the hills, and was given track just as politely. Tubes and assistance was offered along the route for peeps in need. The "spirit" of the race was a refreshing breeze in our very popular sport.

Organisation also needs to be top notch:

Registration must be well organised

Route well marked

Water Tables sufficiently stocked.

Post race amenaties needs to cater for the numbers.

Fell free to add on.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkerville Hill is another small old school mtb race.

Joburgs coldest race? Coming up soon (14 Jul)

i saw a comment here on thehub along the lines of "redstone is one of the toughest 50km events in the area"... i would assume excluding the monster, of course. keen to try it out, have ridden sections of it. probably next on my list.

Won't come Close to the Monster, but a good challenge with clumbs and rocky downhills

Joburgs coldest and dustiest race? Coming up soon (14 Jul)

Corrected - still thinking about this one. Frozen my knackers off there a couple times :blush: Edited by ChunkyMunky Lite

Corrected - still thinking about this one. Frozen my knackers off there a couple times :blush:

Hahaha it was so cold I didn't even notice the dust! I'm sure last year the max was 4 or below

I know Gauteng area is part of your criteria, but if you are looking for a mtb race that poses the same kind of challenge as the Monster, I can recommend Attakwas. I have done it twice, and I have ridden the Monster twice and they are both very challenging yet rewarding.

Hakahana Trailseeker last year was good MTB race.Redstone and Vori-Berg series are also good MTB events.

As others have mentioned -

Voriberg + Parys Dirtmax

both run as series throughout the yesr and tick many of the boxes mentioned in the criteria discussed thus far

I see on entrytime website their is a race in Groot Marico.Groot Marico Safari Karnaval MTB Challenge. The 50km race is quite challenging. Loose rocks. Last time I did a race there my Medal was a rock. Great farming communiity.Got coffee which was brewed over the fire.Feels like somewhere back in time

post-36242-0-16289400-1369858468_thumb.png

If you are looking for something that is not mainstream or mass participation I would like to invite you all to come and join us for an event you will never forget. Now in its 6th year 2 River MTB club is proud to present our annual race. 2 River MTB challenge offers 35 km of purpose built single track on the banks of the Vals and Vaal rivers. Although we don't have any major climbs the stunning single track on the 60 km route is tough yet rewarding. We have also built a technical route over the only klipkoppie in Bothaville. It offers a challenging climb with some technical but short descending. It was previously known as the Two River Technical Challenge.

Edited by Sniffie

Did the 2 River MTB Challenge last year and next to Rooiberg it is by far my second most favorite race. The description posted above is apt, it has 35 kms singletrack heaven along the river. It is similar to the last 5 kms of the first day of the Berg and Bush descent along the banks of the Tugela River (Garden of Eden). The koppie was close to the end of the race and took quite a lot of effort due to its position in the latter stages of the course. The hospitality of the Bothaville community is fantastic and the race is followed by some great entertainment, Boeresport and various arts, crafts and food stalls. For the non-cyclists, last year there was also a cross country horse ride and a running/walking trail race. Altogether a very enjoyable day only about 200 kms away from the big smoke. Will be back.