Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

Can't be;ieve that was such a struggle but finally got windows 10 installed and working on the SSD ( well new SSD) 

Now to start the dowloading spree  :thumbdown:

Lol, it will be worth it in the end...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or publishers should think twice about the content they are creating. No ways that the current ratings are adhered to. I can guarantee you many gamers under 13 are playing Cyberpunk 2077.

Parents should also parent occasionally.

Wow. How far things have come. We got a BBC micro in like 1984 or something and Elite was one of the games we had. Pretty amazing really. Came with a short story and all sorts of stuff. If I could have seen where it would end up then my brain would have exploded. 

Wow. How far things have come. We got a BBC micro in like 1984 or something and Elite was one of the games we had. Pretty amazing really. Came with a short story and all sorts of stuff. If I could have seen where it would end up then my brain would have exploded. 

What you probably also do not know from this video, is that Elite has an accurate as possible model of our galaxy to play in, with the stars accurately modelled and named, and some of the exoplanets that we know of also modelled. The planets to further stars are procedurally generated based on the star class. There are players that have travelled to Beagle Point, Bernard's Loop, the Whitch Head Nebula etc. There are another group that formed a colony 20kLy from Earth, which is not surprisingly called Colonia. Many of the starports are named after science pioneers and other contributors to science and cosmology.

Not surprisingly, the Thargoids are also still in the game, but just more dangerous.

Edited by Moridin

Parents should also parent occasionally.

Many parents just don't care, or want to bug the kids in fear of being called uncool when they prevent their kids from playing these games.

Many parents just don't care, or want to bug the kids in fear of being called uncool when they prevent their kids from playing these games.

I must be  beyond uncool then. Don't even let them play Fortnite even though lots of their class mates are  playing it. 

I must be beyond uncool then. Don't even let them play Fortnite even though lots of their class mates are playing it.

Same here.

Our kids don’t get to play or watch a lot of what other kids are playing and watching here, they also don’t have phones.

We know of kids of 6 years olds here with tic tok accounts and posting videos. The school had to intervene in an issue on a class WhatsApp group. Some 7yr olds playing games with much violence and gore.

One other kid we know (7yrs old) eats ice cream as meals with sweets as snacks while both her parents are at work and she has no adult supervision.

Or publishers should think twice about the content they are creating. No ways that the current ratings are adhered to. I can guarantee you many gamers under 13 are playing Cyberpunk 2077.

Yeh I've been reading about the bugs a few gamers have been experiencing with Cyberpunk.

As a parent, and gamer myself, I'm more concerned about the age rating when it comes to my daughter and certain games. At the moment, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the only game I'll let her watch me jam on occasion. The idea of getting her interested in gaming has come to mind, although it looks like she's leaning more towards being a creative with a bit of sports in the mix.

Both my kids have their own computers. Ages 6 and 8. They also have their own google accounts. Both of which are child accounts with my wife and I as parent account holders. Windows 10 also has some great tools built in for managing kids use. Windows Family Safety takes a few minutes to setup but is pretty handy once done. Screen time and content is easily managed. For added security I also use OpenDNS Family Shield to block any thing online from filtering through. All of these are free services. They have worked well for me. When my kids do play its mostly Roblox. Which also comes with its own parental controls. I receive notifications about their activity on my own devices. 

As for home rules and screen time we've conveniently tied it to their homework.

The Department of Education gives them several of these homework books to work through at home.

There's a schedule per term so they have to chip away at a certain amount of work daily. 

If the school hasn't sent any homework or projects to go through.

This is what they have to do. 

GR3%20ENG%20T3%264%20WB%20ICON.PNG

And some very basic rules.

Did you brush your teeth? Are you dressed? 

I don't mind if your toys are laying about but if I ask you to clean it up...

Bikes are parked in the garage, not outside and not in the house.

No wet clothes or towels inside either. 

Any experiments with paint, gloop, putty, slime or anything else is on the plastic table only. 

Its been a bit tough managing screen time and school work during lock down. 

Especially with my wife and I both working from home. But we take turns supervising workbook activities and have a tutor come in for 2 hours a day 4 times a week. 

Beyond that I'd say computers have been a great help for the kids here at home.

Its not just a play thing for games and youtube. There is a wealth of information at your fingertips. 

She had a school project where she had to research and make a poster about a famous South African. She then had to memorize a few facts about them and present it in an oral before the class.

Through her own google discovery she asked me if she could do her project on Charlize Theron. She learned about voice acting and her roles in animated films. She learned about philanthropy and how many children in South Africa aren't as lucky as her. 

I remember my son taught himself the basics of reading and counting too. Those alphabet train videos will be stuck in my head forever. At around age 4 He discovered that if he used google voice search then google would spell out what he says in the search bar. 'Show me a blue rabbit'  Now at age 6 he is able to google search by typing. He starts grade 1 next year. 

With supervision computers can be incredible tools for your kids.

They're curious by nature and are stimulated by discovery. 

But when they're funneled into associating computers and phones with games they become lazy. Teach them to use it as a tool and it wont be long before they show you something you didn't know. 

Both my kids have their own computers. Ages 6 and 8. They also have their own google accounts. Both of which are child accounts with my wife and I as parent account holders. Windows 10 also has some great tools built in for managing kids use. Windows Family Safety takes a few minutes to setup but is pretty handy once done. Screen time and content is easily managed. For added security I also use OpenDNS Family Shield to block any thing online from filtering through. All of these are free services. They have worked well for me. When my kids do play its mostly Roblox. Which also comes with its own parental controls. I receive notifications about their activity on my own devices......

With supervision computers can be incredible tools for your kids.

They're curious by nature and are stimulated by discovery.

But when they're funneled into associating computers and phones with games they become lazy. Teach them to use it as a tool and it wont be long before they show you something you didn't know.

Well done, it seems like you’re doing a good job there. [emoji1303]