Is Hi-Viz still a (fashionable) option?

Secondskins

With cyclist accidents on the increase these days, are high-visibility clothing still an important option? Or does the problem not lie with being seen, but rather being aware?

Cyclists also tend to be fashionable and trend following and some of us do not really like the neon yellow or green colours.

What are your opinions on black, royal blue and white as colours for rain jackets?

We appreciate your inputs!

Edited by Secondskins

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally have a thing for red/black kit and gear , as can be seen in my pic.

Not sure that I appreciate blue in cycle wear and gear.

In short... NO! But that's just my opinion. If it rains or it's misty, I want all the bells, whistles, lights and high-viz I can get. Even on an mtb... forced to ride small sections of tar.

I agree - not enough winter gear available in hi viz colors. What about a waistcoat type over jacket/ reflective strappy thing/ bib that one can wear over normal gear as an extra - serves no purpose other than to make u more visible?

For MTB, if there's rain then there's mud, and even on the road there's enough spray off the rear tyre to soil any light colours. Black with reflective piping etc is the way.

You can't cure stupid but you can improve your chances of being seen.

Rain decreases visibility so bright colors should be better.

I've just bought clothing( jackets etc) and they are all black, with reflective panels - Not a fan of the neon colors at all. I have enough lights on my bike for people to be able to see me, and I also firmly believe a lot of people are not enough aware or vigilant while out on the bike.

Im posting some pre-production samples for you guys to see and comment on.

We are also contemplating a black one for the slightly more visible rainy days.

The white and yellow will serve as the higher visible ones and then the blue and black one will serve as a more fashionable item.

They also serve as wind breakers.

Im posting some pre-production samples for you guys to see and comment on.

We are also contemplating a black one for the slightly more visible rainy days.

The white and yellow will serve as the higher visible ones and then the blue and black one will serve as a more fashionable item.

They also serve as wind breakers.

Sweet, what is pricing going to be like?

What the OP said is very true; hi-vis isn't very prevalent nowadays- so many black-knight kits [and bikes] are all the rave now... last week I was climbing up the Simola hill pretty early in the morning and a chap in what must have been the New Zeland ninja issued kit on a black steed came down and almost knocked me to china- couldn't see him/her coming at all!

I have these traffic cone orange long sleeved tops I have been using lately .. they are bright, but I like the way they look funny enough .........