2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

Day 19:

Glenn’s super daily wrap up here: http://glennharrisonsa.blogspot.com

"Tough times":

Then you have this below, it is an account of how things unfold when they go wrong – I am glad to report that since this they have been and seem to be getting better for this rider, but in the moment it was raw and touch-and-go. It is worth remembering this if you are thinking of doing the race as it is like this for more people than you might think, not all of the time, but it does happen.

“Days x, y, and z. I've stopped numbering them as I've lost count.

Can't quite recall which day things officially fell apart but it was shortly after a reasonably good days riding to Toekomst, a farm in the Karoo alongside the Darlington dam and nearing the mountains that would ultimately lead us into the Baviaanskloof.

Not a wink of sleep that night as the entire time was either spent vomiting or writhing in agony hugging the toilet. And that's how it stayed until sunrise. The group I was riding with the previous day left at 5am, around the time I had purged my system for the umpteenth time and it was only around 8 that I eventually managed to drag my weary carcass over to my backpack, shove my belongings inside, and start pushing the bike towards the next stop. It was the start of another day in hell, with no energy at all, and having to navigate up mountains and down valleys, getting lost repeatedly simply out of a sheer lack of concentration. By nightfall I was over the worst of it and had arranged to stay at a place called kleinpoort, a tiny settlement in the middle of nowhere. As it turned out it was a magnificent old house and I slept in warmth and peace, something which I'd been longing for the whole day.

The next day proved another weary challenge just to get going, still feeling very weak from the previous days events, but slowly the pedals ticked over to Bucklands (which should have been the previous nights stop) for breakfast, then carrying on to a farm called Hadley on the northern side of the baviaanskloof mountains. This isn't an official stop but the organizers recommended I move to here rather than stay at Bucklands to break up the following day.

While quietly pedaling along selfishly absorbed in my own world of pain and exhaustion a car drove up alongside with the usual question - where are you going? After a brief conversation I learned that I was about to be swept up by a group of 45 cyclists- far from what i ever thought would happen out here in the middle of nowhere! I quietly looked forward to the company for a few kms, it was a 5 day Karoo MTb tour event and they were overnighting on the farm next to where I was due to stay.

The end result was that the race snakes caught me with ease and left me in their dust, but I did get a chance later that afternoon to go across and see the festivities - thanks to Carol who made a complete stranger feel so welcome! I generally hovered around the food table (no surprises there), and left a few hours later happy to have had some good company for a few hours. My night was spent again in complete solitude in a very rustic farm cottage, with a donkey for hot water, paraffin lamps for light and a fireplace inside for warmth. Peace is sometimes found in the most unexpected places, and I was in those few hours quite glad not to be part of a big group riding across our country.

Another slow start to the next day and still weak but managed to get going by 5 in anticipation of the Osseberg track that would ultimately take me over the mountains to the south and into the Baviaanskloof. The beginning sections on the deteriorating dirt road dropped down into the Grootrivier Poort with a steep climb back out, followed by some undulating hills along a ridge before the steep descent down in the very overgrown valley to follow the river through the mountains.

There are no words to describe this section - only those who have travelled through there will know of the beauty, and the equal carnage it leaves. It is an isolated, desolate, forgotten world down there, the tracks soon become one, then none, and you are left to fight through overgrowth and head high reeds, clambering downstream, pushing, shoving, anything to get one or two metres further. The constant cold and rain made the isolation seem even more desperate and there were tears and blood shed in equal doses. I cursed and hit the bike, shouted and screamed, anything to get the anger and frustration out, but it didn't help. No one was coming to help. It was move forward or spend the night there. By late afternoon I had finally emerged onto a track that was running in the right direction and made it through the final section and out to the farm at Cambria before nightfall, beaten, absolutely exhausted, hungry, cold, wet, filthy, and desperately in need of sleep.

Another night on my own at the overnight stop and another slow weary start to the day today. I had by all accounts thrown in the towel last night after yesterday's carnage - I have given absolutely everything to this race and am fighting daily to stay within reach of it, but yesterday was the final straw.

I slowly packed my belongings again, hoisted the backpack and opened the door in two minds about what to do - to stay, or ride on. My leg was swollen and bruised from the bashing in the valley and bike not looking any better for the experience. But I got on, and slowly drifted out of sight from the farmhouse and into the cold morning mist hovering in the valley. I was moving and that was all that counted and I resorted to focusing only on where today would take me - I'm here, I might as well see what's down the road, go for a ride or something. It's better than sitting around.

The route over the Baviaanskloof is tough but beautiful, some very steep passes and more river crossings but it was a peaceful day, the sun came out and I saw more game today than ever in my life - maybe the joy of being on a bike and not in a car is that you're less noisy (despite my bikes rattles!) and less of a threat but I saw loads and had big kudu passing across the road right in front of me hardly frightened off. It was beautiful and today felt like a blessing, like some desperately needed soul food in amongst the madness.

My bike computer speedometer thing is now toast (another of yesterday's victims) and I have no way of measuring distance so I have been using the maps and the markers on the farm fences to get an idea of how far I was traveling. Back to basics. It bought me safely mid-afternoon to tonight's stop, and I'm in the very hospitable company of a super family at Damsedrif, halfway through the Bav valley.

It's really a day at a time now, every new day cycled is a gift and every support station reached is one more than I would have.

Tomorrow is another opportunity...”

post-1509-0-12978600-1372491380_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-78705800-1372491381_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-26036000-1372491383_thumb.jpg

Edited by tubed

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 20:

Read the wrap here: http://glennharrisonsa.blogspot.com/

The blankets and a pizza are 'all' you get. That smile you see was earned. As I understand it only 114 people have done so since the race started in 2004 - two more were added today, but 50% of the finishers thus far in 2013 are returnees looking for more therapy, that tells you something.

A quick comment on the pizza photo - its Jeannie's birthday there, looks like all Martin got to do was take off his skew helmet and then was given some chores while she went freshened up and got ready for her birthday celebrations. In his stinky state I suspect she asked Martin to make sure the bikes were cleaned before he had his shower. Marital bliss right there.

The one good thing about the slower riders at the back of the field is that some of them are handy with a camera - and probably carrying too much camera equipment, so some decent shots are finally coming through.

Finally well done to all the finishers today and thanks for the enthralling race - most of the guys are still out there and there are some real stories emerging which is hopefully what a lot of this thread is about.

post-1509-0-00028000-1372571068_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-11242400-1372571069_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-10168100-1372571070_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-66093800-1372571071_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-05395600-1372571073_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-10881100-1372571074_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-54208400-1372571075_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-68620400-1372571076_thumb.jpg

Agree with Warren911. Well done to all. Its great to see sportsman and woman who are doing it for the purity of the challenge without any commercial hype and corporate hoo ha. I too am enjoying the coverage, cant wait for the other guys to come in and an see the photos that are coming.

Robbie Mac:

This pic deserves its own short post.

This is Robbie getting ready to leave the support station in the Baviaanskloof at the farm Golden Crust this morning, this is a new support station but they have very quickly established themselves as a must stop place with superb choc cake on offer, and the warm soft beds also getting several mentions.

What I like too is the mutt in the background (we continue with that theme), he's found a sunny spot on the grass and gives no heed to the cycling legend on his turf.

Back to Robbie, he still looks (check those thighs) as determined as he did in his road racing days when he did things the hard way as the hardman in the SA peleton.

There is still a lingering thought that when Robbie is able to forget about the navigation he will put it in the big ring and get down on those tt bars - I just hope he is prepared for the corrugation of the road between Willmore and Prince Albert tomorrow - he may loose his teeth in the tt position if he gets one of those infamous corrugated stretches.

Robbie's been doing a lot of walkabout and as part of his initiation spent a night out in the Grootrivier kloof - has hasn't missed an opportunity to really experience the FC. What I have enjoyed about his tweets is that he still has his sense of humour and despite his pedigree, he has submitted himself to the spirit, soul and essence on mountain biking for the past 2 weeks.

Robbie is in Willowmore tonight.

I must say I am quite tempted to find myself in the bar at the Montague Hotel in a couple of days time when he overnights there, I sure would love to buy him a beer and hear what he has to say - that should be Wed or Thurs this week, hmmmmmm........

PS: latrinus I see you are following, a reunion of ex pros? I know you have been on the trail before.

post-1509-0-12061700-1372611472_thumb.jpg

Day 21:

Yesterday was a busy day, Glenn sums up the race here: http://glennharrisonsa.blogspot.com/

Notable for me was the vasbyt shown by some of the guys (pics below):

Charles – apparently in world of pain for the last couple of days finished just after midnight – not much to say other than, well done and huge respect to you – it must have been tough losing your riding buddies as they rode on after a couple of thousand km together, but you stuck it out and that blanket remains yours forever. Only you will know what you went through in Stettyns Kloof yesterday.

Roy – he quit the race yesterday, but let’s not forget that this gentleman has celebrated his 70th birthday, to have gotten as far as he did was simply amazing, but I will leave it up to race winner Jeannie to say something about Roy, after all even race winners need to get their inspiration from somewhere:

“Roy, you have blown apart the meaning 'of living life to the full'. You are just too amazing for words!”

The Hout Bay boys: John, Barry and George, making us proud from the Valley, such camaraderie I am sure there will be some stories swapped in the local coffee shops in the months to come, that’s of course if Barry doesn’t swap his bike immediately for his board, as it is high season for the rhino chargers – that’s what the big wave boards in this neck of the woods are referred to, this is what Barry does for relaxation. (http://www.on-the-ed...s/caught-inside)

Finally there was Marnitz, the pic sums it up best for me, his wife who has supported him through a lot, that’s his 4th blanket! and one of his three kids sprinting up behind him – that’s the way you inspire your kids – well done Marnitz.

post-1509-0-71025300-1372655828_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-62339100-1372655830_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-70389500-1372655831_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-87239000-1372655832_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-44984000-1372655845_thumb.png

Coffee and a chat:

This photo is just great, there is something quite special going on here, let me try and explain.

Andy and Pete have ridden more than 2000 km together, they are about 100 km from home. They have ridden into McGregor after having had a glorious ride through the Breede river valley from Montague this morning. They know now they are going to finish and it is a sense of accomplishment tinged with not wanting it to end. They have a fantastic gourmet lunch at Kasra in store a bit later today.

But first, there is a proper cup of coffee and maybe a toasted sarmie in MacGregor at this coffee shop.

McGregor is full of city dwellers enjoying the school holidays and these guys will get the “hey, where you guys riding to today?”. Pete and Andy will say “oh we are off to Trouthaven tonight”, then the guy has a look at the number board on the bike and it all falls into place – it is hard then not to come across as windgat (which they are not) as they try and explain what they have done so far.

In most cases, it is a great conversation – one that leaves both parties inspired to get out and ride.

Enjoy the decent coffee guys.

post-1509-0-82687100-1372670634_thumb.jpg

PS: latrinus I see you are following, a reunion of ex pros? I know you have been on the trail before.

I'm in to go welcome Mac in Montagu: email latrinus at gmail dot com

Day 20:

Read the wrap here: http://glennharrisonsa.blogspot.com/

The blankets and a pizza are 'all' you get. That smile you see was earned. As I understand it only 114 people have done so since the race started in 2004 - two more were added today, but 50% of the finishers thus far in 2013 are returnees looking for more therapy, that tells you something.

A quick comment on the pizza photo - its Jeannie's birthday there, looks like all Martin got to do was take off his skew helmet and then was given some chores while she went freshened up and got ready for her birthday celebrations. In his stinky state I suspect she asked Martin to make sure the bikes were cleaned before he had his shower. Marital bliss right there.

The one good thing about the slower riders at the back of the field is that some of them are handy with a camera - and probably carrying too much camera equipment, so some decent shots are finally coming through.

Finally well done to all the finishers today and thanks for the enthralling race - most of the guys are still out there and there are some real stories emerging which is hopefully what a lot of this thread is about.

I don't think chris fisher is actually carrying too much equipment...he would just have his iphone and gopro.

but he is an expert in using both.

and then making them into videos too.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/66993544" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

They are riding lank slow for a reason. This is a proper honeymoon, they'd be doing about a 16 day affair if they had to.

I see that - I have shamelessly been stealing some of their publicly shared stuff, the angles and composition hint at the talent (one the bike and behind the tripod).

Eric at the rear of the field has been commenting about having all his batteries charged for today, he has comfortably settled into riding alone and he knows all the roads home from where he is - so I expect from both of these guys some decent pics and maybe videos. That would really be very welcome.

Its actually quite pleasant to have competent people at the end of the race - doing it their own way and showing a very different side and approach to riding the trail - one I am sure appeals to a lot of the guys who may want to tour this 'easier' part of the trail and experience its beauty.

Coffee and a chat:

This photo is just great, there is something quite special going on here, let me try and explain.

Andy and Pete have ridden more than 2000 km together, they are about 100 km from home. They have ridden into McGregor after having had a glorious ride through the Breede river valley from Montague this morning. They know now they are going to finish and it is a sense of accomplishment tinged with not wanting it to end. They have a fantastic gourmet lunch at Kasra in store a bit later today.

But first, there is a proper cup of coffee and maybe a toasted sarmie in MacGregor at this coffee shop.

That photo is making my extended family very happy - thanks for posting it.