2013 Freedom Challenge Updates

GLuvsMtb

Thanks so much Tubed, please keep it up; agree with you - the weather has been good, aside from some winds earlier my connections in the 'berg report but in an earlier pic of Lehana's I saw smoke rising pretty much straight up. But I bet it's still very chilly at night.

Tough people out there.

Any chance of a list of the bikes being used?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the updates. You add flesh to the twitter feed.

Agreed.One gets a real feel for the race and the conditions

Thanks so much Tubed, please keep it up; agree with you - the weather has been good, aside from some winds earlier my connections in the 'berg report but in an earlier pic of Lehana's I saw smoke rising pretty much straight up. But I bet it's still very chilly at night.

Tough people out there.

Any chance of a list of the bikes being used?

Sure, here is the partially dismantled now infamous 'blou trein', Marnitz is kicking back waiting for a new steed and is ready to "race", seatpost and pedals gone and ready to be swapped.

post-1509-0-56807500-1371536006_thumb.jpg

In case you were wondering how you get a tandem over a fence.

Also bear in mind that the gazillion other fences have no sty to use, you climb and jump or fall, including the 3m high game fences.

Finally just when you thought you heard it all - a tandem has indeed completed the race Mike Woolnough and the very same Glenn Harrison.

post-1509-0-22232000-1371536632_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for the updates Tubed. Helps a lot with the curiosity of what’s happening out there.

I had the privileged opportunity to ride the 24h Van Gaalen in Dec with John Loos and Paul Erasmus as part of the FNB team that was there.

Very nice guys and strong on bikes.

Here’s a video John made of the FC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_KfhEWRnk&feature=player_detailpage

Wishing them all the best out there and hoping Paul feels better today

I went out this morning and caught up with todays batch about 25kms out of PMB. All looking good, a beaut day out of Maritzburg. Martin and Jeannie in high spirits, as well as the 3 guys who did the 80km trail run yesterday.

I finished RASA2010 with Leon v d Nest, what an awesomely humble and nice guy.Go Leon Go!

www.spinningatbulla.blogspot.com

Day 9:

MUD is the cyclists biggest nightmare and this race dishes up every variety with some special types too. The MUD found in the brooding Stormberg region after the snow has melted is the worst; it clings, coagulates, clots and sticks until there is so much you have to carry your bike as you weep. Three or four days of incessant mud have broken many competitors in the past.

Back to the race – the fantastic weather has probably seen some guys push further than they should have and with that, the hinges (knees) which are not used to riding for more than 12 hours a day, the ankles and the dreaded itb all say hello very painfully – but still they push on because the weather is good and there ends the race painfully.

Having said all of the above – those that are riding sensibly are having an absolute blast, to see guys crossing the Umkomaas in perfect conditions, cresting Lehanas Pass in shorts and shirtsleeves, posing for photos is great. Spare a thought for the Nienaber tandem, they started out in minus 11 near Glen Edward and Werner had retired by the end of the day –“knees blown”, that leaves Marnitz at Masakala with a tandem and no stoker, so he has called for a sensible bike and will continue alone when his bike arrives and he has served some sort of penalty for changing a bike. We will hear a LOT more of him as he makes his way to Paarl. Get better soon Werner.

There have been several other abandonments down the course – Rhodes is a popular place to bail as riders get there with a major sense of relief, they are back in some sort of civilisation which they are normally accustomed to and they find the offer of a lift home too attractive for what remains ahead. The other abandonments come in the days after Rhodes, there are about 4 very tough days through the aforementioned Stormberg, where it is freezing every night and morning and surprise surprise there are lots and lots of very high mountains and long valleys. These are the portage stages and back to back they can cause havoc – get the navigation wrong here and you are in a mountainous area after dark, so you probably are going to have to sleep out. Psychologically riders need to be strong through this area as the Eastern Cape does open out a bit going forward, but they need to passage through this region. It is also characterised by some of the nicest hosts on the farms, they are miles apart in distance – but close in community, if you let Christo regale you at Chesneywold , your journey through this region is guaranteed to be sweet – he gets on the phone to his fellow farmers and the word is passed down the trail that you are a decent bloke – your hospitality is assured.

An amusing aside – the story is told of a few years ago two successful brothers who brought their Johannesburg corporate mind-set into the race bore the brunt of these farmer hosts when they demanded fruit salad for breakfast – well the only fruit you get in these isolated freezer farms at this time of the year will be in a Liqui Fruit box – they were upset when their request was declined and apparently they registered their dissatisfaction. Nothing works better than the bush telegraph in this region and they were singled out as being precious and treated as a precious person is in this region. It didn’t end there, the race director having sensed something was up – he is also connected – swiftly had a chat, imposed a small fine(very insignificant financially for them – but so embarrassing) and suggested they reread the rules which state that ‘you should consider your entry as a privilege and your race fee as a donation to the development of the trail and then act accordingly. The incident ended there – there is no appeal process or suspension pending an enquiry or all the other things we have to deal with in corporate life.

Back to the race – Glenn Missed the record into Rhodes, but still did a phenomenal ride, pic of his single speed included. Hopefully Glenn starts blogging soon and he writes as well as he rides. Robbie Mac is still in it although a bit off race pace, but he has adopted a sensible strategy in my books. There are a number of others making their way to Rhodes more or less on race pace – but looking a little less convincing right now – I sense a sort out coming. Then there are the Dreyers and Andrew King, the Dreyers are going very fast from the start and we have seen Martin can maintain that – this could be a lot of fun to watch if they win as a couple in a new record time. Andrew King is hot on their heels; he bears permanent number 2, being the second person to complete the inaugural ride with Dave Waddilove back in 2004. Andrew has put down his cameras this year and is looking determined – barring any unforeseen issues, he will be in it at the end as a potential winner.

Photos are: Andrew King crossing the Umkomaas, Eric Tollner heading up Lehanas (top left corner is summit) and on top of Lehanas, and Glenn Harrison’s steel Cotic SS.

Day 10:

The good weather continues and the guys are making the most of it – with only some headwinds and the odd tummy bug causing some grief to those determined to stay in the race. The front guys are pushing well into the Eastern Cape and race from behind seems at this stage to be led by the Dreyer Honeymooners (see pic below), followed closely by Andrew King, with Robbie Mac and a couple of others lurking. Its been said before it is still very early days and it would seem that more than making a big move now the guys seem prepared to avoid any major issues, to stay in the hunt and see how things unfold.

Speaking of tummy bugs it does seem like a regular issue and I suspect that because diet is such a personal thing, that’s where it all goes a bit pear shaped. Often in the first week soup is the staple food when you arrive at the support station with a fuller meal to follow. These are not Woolies soups with a twist of coriander of a splash of cream – nope they are basically full on meals in liquid form and some guys tummies just say no thanks and once it starts it might take a day or two to come right. So by all means eat the soup – but go carefully if its not your thing.

Similar to the soups above may be the issue of water –there are no regular water tables with screaming school kids and aunties with warm towels, so it’s a case of either carrying all your water for the day on you (which is heavy), or filling up where you get a chance from a communal source. I don’t see a problem with crystal clear water from some of the fast flowing streams – although other people looked at me as if to say nobody drinks from streams anymore – again I think it depends on your constitution.

Where is all of this going – well if you see a spaza shop that is like a Woolies to you, it has chips and coke and I don’t mean the naff small tins, no its nothing less than 1.5l (see Pic) for the price of a 500ml at home and chips, so the pic below is of the trading store at Queens Mercy (see Pic), it is normally reached at about 10am and it is the perfect spot to sit in the sun and consider how good it is not to be in the office, but to be out riding with your mates in our beautiful country.

On the racing front there have been a number of withdrawals, but in the spirit of the event we probably don’t want to give names – just surprising as some of them were going so well. Having fallen into that category once I know that going home to face the fans its not a nice feeling. Even more so if you now follow the race from home thinking what if?

The other issue which has raised its head is a sometimes contentious one of outside assistance and the penalty to be incurred for this – basically the race director decides and the competitors agree, its not complicated or simple – that’s just his call and guys get on with their own race. What I can tell you is that Chris Willemse would find it hard to deliver parts to stricken competitors in the time that the race director and racers manage to get parts from home to someone on the course. Take for instance the call I got today to get light battery to a racer, the call came in this morning, he decided tonight he needed it and he should have it on Thursday when he passes through/ near Molteno. That’s simply using Speed Services counter to counter option – that’s a plug for the Post Office, because it really does work.

(Reminder that the race is unfolding on twitter @freedom_trail, although there is a lot of chatter you need to distinguish from the race office updates)

post-1509-0-32075000-1371588919_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-77065500-1371588920_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-72908700-1371588989_thumb.jpg

Day 11: race update

Looking at the race it appears that the race is on between the Dreyers and Andrew King, I notice that Martin seems to know where Andrew is and how far time wise he is behind them. Twitter is a great source for collating info, but I am pretty sure they both have their 'race offices' back home telling them what is going on and suggesting different sorts of strategies. Right now the Dreyers are heading for a big push over Lehanas Pass and on to Rhodes before midnight for a proper stop and refuel.

Andrew behind them seems to have made up some ground and is probably going to breathing down their necks as soon as they stop, but he will probably be slowed a bit if he has to do Lehanas at night.

As far as conditions go it remains clear and dry - but the wind is howling. One of the strategies in the past has been to ride at night or in the early hours of the morning when the wind is a little less woes - in these guys case they will just have to ignore the wind and hope it is blowing for everyone else.

Elsewhere it seems like Robbie Mac and Marnitz have hooked up, if so that could be very good for Robbie as it may be just the guide he needs. I spoke to the race director and he was spending some time chatting to Robbie who he said despite all his road pedigree and racing background really gets the essence of the race/ trail and is treating the event with due consideration.

Christo van Heerden is still a bit of a dark horse, keeping with the pace and playing it low key, I am sure there are some others - but I will see if I can do a proper position report later today.

Those interested in Andrew King's kit here are some pics. The bike is an 11kg carbon Focus, the main addition being the bespoke Graeme Murray saddle and his backpack is a feather weight option from Salomon weighing in at a mere 4.5 kg (minus drink and food). The integrated front pouch seems like a sensible option allowing racers to get to maps and snacks without having to take the pack off. Generally that is a very minimal kit for guy going all the way to Paarl.

post-1509-0-33572300-1371639433_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-96402500-1371639435_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-87270100-1371639439_thumb.jpg

damnn! twitter seems to be reporting that John Loos and Paul Erasmus are out! there go our pace setters, seem to have been battling illness - more updates sure to follow

I see most of the riders seem to be riding in groups with their start groups, is this a matter of matching like strengths, or just easier to ride in a group. I know it will be easier to ride in groups once they get beyond Molteno, and onto the flatter sections, but I'm interested in the reason before this, in the highlands.

WRT the wind, I can imagine what it is like up there, It's been howling here for the last week, and it's usually much stronger in the EC highlands than here.