I hate Punctures!!!

duanelr

what do you guys think of the Vredestein Killer Bee UST 26" tire?

They are very slick, not that much grip on them

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i think i'm cursed - i always get punctures! and it's making my rides soo unpleasant!

so i need the help of our hubbers... what can i do to alleviate the situation??

I've checked the following:

- im running mavic 325 rims, with proper rim tape covering all the spoke holes

- no damage to the rim (that i can see)

- high volume 2.5 tubes with mountain king 2.4 tires still new

- i had tire liner installed with slime in the tube (took the tire liner out as i was still getting punctures with or without the tire liner)

- there are no thorns/objects stuck in the tire

- i'm pretty sure it's not me damaging the tube when putting it back

- it only happens to the rear wheel

how can i ensure no more punctures?? tubeless is on my to do list but i need a remedy before saturday's usn race at big red barn.

any help will be much appreciated!

Theres only one answer , and that is Tubeless , maybe Im lucky ,In 3 Sani2c races , 2 Berg and Bush and 0 punctures

This stuff works well to seal the rim. You just need one layer.

post-4408-0-37140300-1370519236_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterF

This stuff works well to seal the rim. You just need one layer.

where can i get some?

Guest Travis.

Ask for Gorilla tape at a hardware store. I last got some at Solomon's cycles in Pretoria East - read Gift Acres, Lynnwood.

Here's a sick tip for using the gorilla tape is reading this link: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/119019-gorilla-tape-tubeless-conversion/page__hl__gorilla+tape

Trust me, do what is suggested there, makes it so much easier!

Vredestein Killer Bees are cheap as chips, but they don't last long as they're very slick. But will be alright to use for a while if you don't have a choice now.

You need new tires, not sure your mechanical work will solve that. I still have a brand new set of tubeless ready racing ralphs for your if you need them.

those are awesome tyres :)

You want 'em? I'll have to start charging storage tho :devil:

haha, if you have no use for em bud.... u know my track record with tyres.... :blush:

just got myself some black duct tape, tubeless valve, stans, and a 26x2.1 racing ralph or rocket ron(can't remember what the name was).... so tonight it's me and my rim :ph34r:

I've found that cheap duct tape does not last. Like someone else mentioned do a wrap of insulation tape first then wrap that with a layer of duct tape (I've used Jaffa tape in the past and it's been excellent, so good that I got a perfect seal with no sealant). Make sure you clean the rim well, with isopropyl alcohol or similar, to get the tape to adhere as best it can. Consider the direction in which you wrap the tape, it may have a limited affect but you want to limit the chance of it unwrapping due to the wheel rotating. Also, don't make the cut for the valve too big, just poke it with a nail and push the valve through. I've found that when I made the hole too large I had slime constantly weeping around the edge of the valve.

If you have installed the tubeless and still find you get punctures...maybe try and replace the tubes you 'borrowed' from fellow riders to get rid of the 'karma' ;-P

just got myself some black duct tape, tubeless valve, stans, and a 26x2.1 racing ralph or rocket ron(can't remember what the name was).... so tonight it's me and my rim :ph34r:

Gooi two layers of tight insulation tape onto the rim before the you gooi the black duct tape on. Trust me on this one.

I've used Jaffa tape in the past and it's been excellent...

For me it didn't work. The Stans lifted the tape quickly and I had a proper mess. How many layers?

If you have installed the tubeless and still find you get punctures...maybe try and replace the tubes you 'borrowed' from fellow riders to get rid of the 'karma' ;-P

i've given choobs to okes with punctures and have had enough... and I haven't borrowed anything (though i was running under-inflated).

i've given choobs to okes with punctures and have had enough... and I haven't borrowed anything (though i was running under-inflated).

You borrowed my tool :whistling:

You borrowed my tool :whistling:

only while you watched. it wasn't even dark.

*edit* and i gave you lube.

Edited by Captain Cheesy