I hate Punctures!!!

duanelr

Why buy tubeless valves when you can save money? Just get 2x20" BMX tyres with the appropraite valve for your rim, get stan's sealant and buy cheap rim strip or gorilla tape, that's all you need!

It's literally as easy as it looks in the videos, unless you're an office boy who has never been in a garage before. But if you're one of those boys who always sat with his dad in the garage, got dirty, was beaten with a belt and don't mind working with your hands, you'll be fine.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so tried last night and was unsuccessful.... :huh: the problem i had was getting the tire to seat on my rims.

In the UST tire packaging i bought it said "fits on UST rims only" so that got me worried but i pressed on...

So i cut the duct tape perfectly and neet, and wrapped the rim twice...

Then i made a small hole, stuffed through the tubeless valve and tightened it as best i can.

then i put the tiny 26 x 2.1 tire on.... it looks soooo small compared to my mountain king 2.4's that were on

then i saw a huge problem... there were massive gaps between the rim wall and the tire bead, and i mean big, like 6mm gaps. and this is due to my rim being so wide and the tire still being deformed from the packaging. so no matter how much air i forced through the valve at what tempo it didnt help. i even tried seating the tire manually and then inflating but no luck.... -_-

so tried last night and was unsuccessful.... :huh: the problem i had was getting the tire to seat on my rims.

In the UST tire packaging i bought it said "fits on UST rims only" so that got me worried but i pressed on...

So i cut the duct tape perfectly and neet, and wrapped the rim twice...

Then i made a small hole, stuffed through the tubeless valve and tightened it as best i can.

then i put the tiny 26 x 2.1 tire on.... it looks soooo small compared to my mountain king 2.4's that were on

then i saw a huge problem... there were massive gaps between the rim wall and the tire bead, and i mean big, like 6mm gaps. and this is due to my rim being so wide and the tire still being deformed from the packaging. so no matter how much air i forced through the valve at what tempo it didnt help. i even tried seating the tire manually and then inflating but no luck.... -_-

Did you do it at the garage? High volume of air is needed.

0. Leave tyre in the sun all day.

1. Inflate the tyre to 2.5 with a tube and let it sit for an hour or so.

2. Paint the rim and the tyre bead with Stans and let dry for a bit until sticky

3. Remove core from valve

4. Add sealant to tyre.

5. Inflate with lots of air while pushing the tyre down in the middle of the tread to help push the beads out.

6. As soon as the tyre seats pump to 3 bar and refit valve core.

7. Turn wheel on its side and bounce it all the way around to help get the sealant into the bead.

8. Repeat with second wheel.

9. Let the wheels sit overnight at a highish pressure.

10. Adjust pressure and go shred.

Seat tyre with tube in, leave for about 3 hours or more. Deflate tube, take only one side of tyre off rim to remove the tube, put valve in and add stans, pop tyre back on. With wetish rag wipe where tyre and rim meets. Bomb or garrage pump tyre.

Joh I was thinking some nasty words when I had this seating problem the morning when I left for Karkloof.

I would stay away from da bomb if possible . Don't know if it's true but they say it does funy things with the sealant .

And if you not close to Mike I am in the Centurion area and might also be able to help with lots of air .

For me it didn't work. The Stans lifted the tape quickly and I had a proper mess. How many layers?

Two wraps of insulation tape, 1 wrap of Jaffa.

Also I use OKO as I find it doesn't dry out as quickly as Stan's, Joe's or other ammonia based sealants.

I would stay away from da bomb if possible . Don't know if it's true but they say it does funy things with the sealant .

im not bombs alon edo that! i had ryder sealant in my rear wheel. never had a bomb near it. heard a rattle in the week, opened it up and there was one of those lumps that had "grown" still plenty sealant..weird

thanx johan and hayley, printed the messages, will be taking them home and doing tubeless over the weekend. no just to find a decent size tubeless tire, like a 2.4 UST. also have a brand new out the box tire which i bought yesterday for this little project that im not gonna use, its a 26 x 2.1 piskriek tire. up for sale at 400 bucks :whistling:

i did smolly's crests with insulation tape on friday afternoon...sorted..raced sat morning..all good

I decided to get some decent UST tyres before going tubeless. Looking for mountain king 2.4 or similar UST.

So after i wrapped my rim with two layers of duct tape, and failing at installing the piskriek 2.1 UST tyre, I re installed a new tube, gooied some baby powder, and put in some slime. Pumped it up hard and it held great during the race on Saturday.

But there are some amazing advice in this topic, even had a few PM's so im sure ill come right once we go tubeless :)