2014 Joberg2C

Wayne Potgieter

If you don't know anyone at the start then don't worry, you will know loads of people when you finish. Met blitzer on route to mount paul hanging on in the bunch.

Yea true, it does help if you go with loads of maatjies though, if not, you will make some along the way no doubt.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points. I know Blitzer from varsity. Dont know whether he is doing it again. My wife even said it is a good time of the year for her... guess I am out of excuses. Will make a final call tonight. Possibly a new J2C virgin next year.

I am still thinking about this one. Pretty bashed up from the W2W step-offs - I wont be able to do any of the 94.7 races as things stand (still cannot walk properly or hold a glass). Sob- sob being a pussy, I know....but my question is: is it harder or easier to do it solo? Most of my crap at W2W was because of a partner that is technically much better than me. This year he was also fitter hence I was on my limits most of the time. All of us know a partner also makes life better with repairs etc. My partner was very patient but both of us knew I was holding him back. If this goes on for 9 days it must be crap for both. So is it easier to suffer alone and at your own pace?

That's why when you find a partner that works, you stick with him/her. Would not swap my partner out easily at all - we are very closely matched, so depends on the day who is hurting who... :) sheer luck finding him as a partner... and we have done about 7000 racing km together now.

Some things are better shared sometimes, and with the right partner racing is fun - with the wrong partner it's a nightmare - but I don't know if I fancy riding for 9 days alone... too easy to justify dropping out...

no. Honestly...with the amount of travelling I have been doing for work, and with the amount I still have to do. I simply dont want to be away from my wife and kids for nine days.

Gonna sell the j2c entry and tskd a sani2c instead.

Eish... take them with you.... me - I like to get way sometimes... clears the head significantly...

J2c is still on my list - once I get rid of the Epic nonsense... which may be never... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Decided to pull the trigger Solo. I need lots of advice. How do most guys do the travel (especially back to Jozi), do you take the laundry option, should one take a night or two in a guesthouse? Any and all wisdom and advice appreciated (no need to remind me of Rule #5!)

Ok. Decided to pull the trigger Solo. I need lots of advice. How do most guys do the travel (especially back to Jozi), do you take the laundry option, should one take a night or two in a guesthouse? Any and all wisdom and advice appreciated (no need to remind me of Rule #5!)

Wife fetched me in Scottburgh....was lekker seeing my family again after the ride, something to look forward to even though the event is coming to an end. Wrt laundry, I took 5 sets of riding kit, handed mine in at sterkfontein and got it back at winterton...didn't have to hand in laundry again. Did a handwash once....screw the guesthouse, the vibe in the camp is lekker. Maybe book a massage or two...end of day 4 and 6 would be good days.

Cool. See you there. First for me next year, so can't help with the logistics . Just know rule # 5 will need to be applied.

Edited by Benjamin

• 1 month later...

I'm goin Solo..

Any other soloists riding from Cape Town? Maybe go for a ride before, or grab a beer, or both..

Happy training! And dieting (cancel the beer option above)

I was unsure of my navigation capabilities until I was forced to use them at this years Tour de Tuli which has very dense bush and is quite remote, so there are not that many proper trail lines or tyre marks to follow! I uploaded the .gpx files to my Garmin Edge 510. You need to play around with it a bit to get used to the zoom factor (if you are too close in it seems you are always off course) and also set the scrolling screens so you do not miss crucial turns when the screen is changing view. If you have the chance, download a local route or 2 and go testing a bit. Might also help to turn down the screen brightness on longer days so you don't run out of battery!!! I also had to do a slight file conversion to get the supplied .gpx file to work correctly, all I can advise is don't leave your navigation testing for day 1.

So this is now an adventure ride, no longer a race. Or was it ever? What is the deal with forcing a person to invest even more money on a GPS device? Why can't you just pitch up and ride, Damn you are paying enough for the entry.

Gps adds a new flavour

I did Duzi2c with Gps, what a great time i had on the bike in the mountains

2014 will be my 5th J2C, what a awesome ride across this place we call South Africa......

2013 was a huge year for me, suffered a mild heart attack 5 months before the event, it was awesome

to finish the ride with my Mrs and my boy at the end, then to do Dusi a few montsh later, Guys there

is more to worry about in life than a Gps or the bike. Ride and enjoy

See you on the trails in April..

www.joberg2c.co.za

Crap, Errrmmmmm first confirm before we fly off and keyboard race :whistling:

Limited enteries still open

• 2 months later...

(Repost from another forum)

Hi Guys,

I'm doing the middle three days of Jhb2c (from Sterkfontein Dam to Underberg) from 28 April. As I'll be heading up from Durbs, I'd like to leave my car in Underberg and then catch a ride to the start at Sterkfontein, with my bike.

Is there anyone heading that way on 27 April? I'd be happy to pay for a lift if you are!

Thanks,

Mike