• R30 001 - R40 000
    • R40 001 - R50 000
    • R50 001 - R60 000
    • R60 001 - R70 000
    • R70 001 - R80 000
    • R80 001 - R90 000
    • R90 001 - R100 000
    • Above R100 000

SARS has just subscribed to this thread....

I am staying out of the vote in case my ex wife subscribes.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate of the 13 over 100k respondants; 1 was being honest, 5 lied and 7 didn't see the "per month" at the end of the question. Stupidity always outnumbers evil. :ph34r:

I rate of the 13 over 100k respondants; 1 was being honest, 5 lied and 7 didn't see the "per month" at the end of the question. Stupidity always outnumbers evil. :ph34r:

Or, 2 live in Swissland, another 1 earns the mighty pound, 5 own their own businesses, 5 in snr management....

Any specific bracket that you think is exaggerating?

Is it the 100k+?

Two areas:

1) The top 4 categories

2) The shape of the curve - this has smoothed out a bit since I posted.

The >R70,000 I reckon is 90% fabrication.

The shape dictates that the average is somewhere around R44,000/month. If I have a look around my group of friends I reckon I have a good representative sample and I don't see many couples living an R88,000/month pretax lifstyle.

I reckon chop out the >R70,000 and drop the average one rung and you have the truth. Somewhere around R32,000/month would be my guesstimate of the average earner.

Two areas:

1) The top 4 categories

2) The shape of the curve - this has smoothed out a bit since I posted.

The >R70,000 I reckon is 90% fabrication.

The shape dictates that the average is somewhere around R44,000/month. If I have a look around my group of friends I reckon I have a good representative sample and I don't see many couples living an R88,000/month pretax lifstyle.

I reckon chop out the >R70,000 and drop the average one rung and you have the truth. Somewhere around R32,000/month would be my guesstimate of the average earner.

A software sales guy in IT can earn R1.2 million a year, an IT Project manger can charge R800 an hour, and best of all an IOS developer can earn over R1 million a year.

Maybe some of you need to change careers start here http://www.itjobs.co.za/

:whistling:

This is the part I don't get... how some jobs pay super high, and others are average to low, even though they're technical/require a 4yr professional degree.

For example, we have a family friend who was earning about R1.3m per annum as the CFO for a fairly big company (just before he retired). I know this because he was telling us that his daughter was working as a risk manager for some investment company. She didn't have any qualification, but her 12th & 13th cheque combined were more than his annual.

He was saying that as much as he loves his daughter, it's criminal what she's being paid.

I feel there are quite a few jobs out there like this. It's no longer the doctors and engineers at the upper end. But "businessmen" (whatever that means).

In line with that, I think that some of those 100k+ voters might own their own business, so pay themselves WAY above market related salaries.

My sister is the accountant at a small company. The owner takes R200k/month salary. The rest of the staff are paid below market related.

As much as some people hate the big corporates, I think as middleclass workers, they are the most fair salary wise

This is the part I don't get... how some jobs pay super high, and others are average to low, even though they're technical/require a 4yr professional degree.

For example, we have a family friend who was earning about R1.3m per annum as the CFO for a fairly big company (just before he retired). I know this because he was telling us that his daughter was working as a risk manager for some investment company. She didn't have any qualification, but her 12th & 13th cheque combined were more than his annual.

He was saying that as much as he loves his daughter, it's criminal what she's being paid.

I feel there are quite a few jobs out there like this. It's no longer the doctors and engineers at the upper end. But "businessmen" (whatever that means).

In line with that, I think that some of those 100k+ voters might own their own business, so pay themselves WAY above market related salaries.

My sister is the accountant at a small company. The owner takes R200k/month salary. The rest of the staff are paid below market related.

As much as some people hate the big corporates, I think as middleclass workers, they are the most fair salary wise

I am a fairly newly qualified CA. Our CFO takes home a lot more than stated above. So the daughters salary may not be so criminal.

As a CA in Durban, I earn a lot more than all of my friends and other people my age, but not buy a R50k bike lot. The big money is in your own business i think.

Based on the value of a large portion of the cars parked at NF every weekend one would assume that a lot of people would be in the upper brackets of this poll. Note I use the word should as a car is not an true indication of wealth i.e. credit.

Still cannot fathom why one would want to lie on an anonymous poll. Truly odd.

I am a fairly newly qualified CA. Our CFO takes home a lot more than stated above. So the daughters salary may not be so criminal.

As a CA in Durban, I earn a lot more than all of my friends and other people my age, but not buy a R50k bike lot. The big money is in your own business i think.

The case I stated was 10 - 12 years ago... so R1.3m p.a. back then was prety descent. R650k p.m. was criminal, hahahaha!

Based on the value of a large portion of the cars parked at NF every weekend one would assume that a lot of people would be in the upper brackets of this poll. Note I use the word should as a car is not an true indication of wealth i.e. credit.

Still cannot fathom why one would want to lie on an anonymous poll. Truly odd.

My bikes are probably worth more than my car :ph34r: ... or at least one of my cars :lol:

Edited by patches

The case I stated was 10 - 12 years ago... so R1.3m p.a. back then was prety descent. R650k p.m. was criminal, hahahaha!

Damn! In that case.. :ph34r:

Or, 2 live in Swissland, another 1 earns the mighty pound, 5 own their own businesses, 5 in snr management....

wa nicht mi, Ich habt nicht gestimmt

okay, we may have to factor in some "perks" like subsidised medical cover, leave, sport leave, study leave, sick leave, travel opportunities, laie verlof, study and training opportunities, extended lunch hours, clothing allowances, housing allowances, holiday benefits, shares low standards. A guy with such a job may actually be paid less but in the end take home (or at least be at home) more.

My sister in law is a ca working as a manager in the sugar industry and takes home over a million a year....she is 30...the two of then together earn 2 bar a year...in kzn..you could probably add 20% onto that in jhb...so yeah..there are salaries like that out there

Edited by Stretch

Hmmm...she is probably ex-(insert name of Big4 audit firm with green dot here) and she works for one of the 2 sugar companies based in Durban. Salary is not far off. I am 26 now. Hopefully will reach a bar in a few years time too and then I can buy a R50 bike too.

My bikes are probably worth more than my car :ph34r: ... or at least one of my cars :lol:

Come on Patches - it's not as bad as that... :) Your bikes, cars and house are worth less than my car :)

If you are doing nothing tomorrow mid morning, whatsapp me and I will show you the mineshaft... at speed.

Thanks, but I like my explanation better :P