1 or 2 chainring setup for AM?

SomeBloke

On a bit of an injury break at the moment so seems like a good time to start fiddling with the bike. It's a Meta 5.5 currently setup as a 3x9 but I'd like to drop it to a 1x9 for the sake of simplicity. Is that a reasonable idea or is 2x9 a better fit for AM?

Not a bad idea but 2x9 with a bashing is ideal.

I run 1x9 with a 34t in front and it can get pretty tough at times.

I had a 1*10 on the EG with a 34. Have now converted to 2*10 with bash.

Not a bad idea but 2x9 with a bashing is ideal.

I run 1x9 with a 34t in front and it can get pretty tough at times.

Even for Enduros?

Get a 2x10 crank with bash and run it with your 9 speed system.

Chainline is so much sweeter than running 2 rings on a 3x9 crank

From what I've heard the 9speed FD and shifter should work fine with some tweaking on a 2x10 crank

imo I run a 1x9 with 32 tooth with a 11-32 and its fine for the riding in Gauteng you could even do a 11-34 if you really need less than a 1:1 ratio. Extra info my bike is about 13-14kg and i weigh around 70-75kg if that influences your decision

Edited by mad bout mtb

imo I run a 1x9 with 32 tooth with a 11-32 and its fine for the riding in Gauteng you could even do a 11-34 if you really need less than a 1:1 ratio. Extra info my bike is about 13-14kg and i weigh around 70-75kg if that influences your decision

That helps, roughly my weight division as well ;)

The gearing won't help anything if you don't stay on the bike...

The bike was on top of me when I woke up so technically I never left it, just mixed the positions up a bit.

I dont like front dérailleurs, but I rarely ride all the way up, but do fine with a 1x9 (34t)in most situatiuons. I try and get to the top with least amount of effort so the real riding can begin.

The only concern I have with my 2x10 setup on my Titus is that because I have a bashring, the FD has to be high enough on the seattube to not hit that bash which then causes chainrub on the bottom of the the FD cage when in "granny" and one of the smaller rings on the cassette. I just have to be aware of that when I ride.

The only concern I have with my 2x10 setup on my Titus is that because I have a bashring, the FD has to be high enough on the seattube to not hit that bash which then causes chainrub on the bottom of the the FD cage when in "granny" and one of the smaller rings on the cassette. I just have to be aware of that when I ride.

That's weird you shouldn't have a problem like that. Are you using a 3x or 2X FD?

A 2xFD with 26/36 rings. It was worse with a 24!

Could be the through of the 2xFD not being designed to accomodate the bashring (I stand corrected though)

Currently running a 38/26 setup with no problem (have taken the bashguard off now, but was working with one before)