1 or 2 chainring setup for AM?

SomeBloke

On a bit of an injury break at the moment so seems like a good time to start fiddling with the bike. It's a Meta 5.5 currently setup as a 3x9 but I'd like to drop it to a 1x9 for the sake of simplicity. Is that a reasonable idea or is 2x9 a better fit for AM?

Once you go 1 ring upfront you will never go back.

Currently running 1x10 11/36 and I'm able to pedal almost up anything and the 36 upfront gives you the speed for the downs.

2 rings is for XC

1x 9, 38 up front and 11-32 If you can't manage on that give up riding.

Not everyone is as powerful as you Peach :P

@SomeBloke, 1x9 with 36T front and 11-34T at the back should get you most places (especially around Gauteng).

I run 2x9. 36T & 28T up front, with 11x34T at the back. For chain retention I run a bashring in place of the big blade, and a little BB mounted Blackspire Stinger up front, and Saint 10sp Shadow + RD with clutch. Haven't dropped a chain yet.

I would go 1x9, but my bashring looks too nice to get rid of. Also, I would have died without that granny gear at Sani :unsure: (although that isn't the place for an AM bike)

But don't listen to me, rather go Peach's route and get him to train you. He has some awesome jump advice for the Scout Hall :lol:

Once you go 1 ring upfront you will never go back.

Currently running 1x10 11/36 and I'm able to pedal almost up anything and the 36 upfront gives you the speed for the downs.

+1

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, just started out with the whole 1x9 thing on the AM bike.

32t chainring (It is what I had at home) x 11/34t cassette on a 15.35kg bike and she has been fine climbing the likes of Table Mountain.

A 34t x 11/36t I think would be ideal (loosing the 1.39kg front tyre would also help) for most CT riding

What I like so far is that it is nice and simple, clean and there is lots of clearance below the ring vs a big blade on a 3x10

The XC bike is a 1x1 and this is what started me wanting to try 1x9

Edited by Hairy

I'm a spinner, not a masher so 9 gears arent enough for me.

As tempting as 1 x 11 looks, I'm going to be upgrading to 2 x 10 with a bashgaurd.

I'm running a triple crank with 26/38/Bash and at the back 10sp 11-36. Great for downhill/enduro speed and can still climb.

This is now my only do it all MTB with 160mm travel, so much fun to be had on a bike like this.

Of to Mankele now for Avalanche! :thumbup:

Or this

That's pretty...

still got more ideas on my chain guide that I'm making at home. Wondering about different manufacturing techniques. Cast resin / cast resin with kevlar weave / vermicite / metal etc.

Also different designs. Lots to think about.