Which 29 dual sus for a mature rider?

i24

Guest Smimby

Spezcialized services on the shock and fork is expensive.

Giant would be your best best I think from reading your requirements.

You can still get 3x10. And 10 speed has the maintenance as 8 or 9 speed.

If you look at spezcialized then try the stumpy, camber.

Giant has Anthem and Trance.

Trance =Stumpy

and

Anthem = Epic

Scott is not there yet (after sales not good either)

Edited by Smimby

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For your type of riding take the frame with the most relaxed geometry and the longer travel. Ie. Look at slackish head angle and 100 - 120mm travel. A few of those have been mentioned already. Try and ride those on your shortlist and choose the one you like best.

Edited by SLiiick

Hi All

Thanks for all of the feedback! It looks like I must chose between anthem or epic style and trance or camber style.

I actually had a look at a Camber and rode it down the road outside the bike shop. It felt a bit upright, wide and soft (it was not setup). I got the impression that it it could get a bit heavy riding on tar for any distance. I am trying hard not to end up buying a road bike as well. (Then I would have to buy a road bike for my wife too and there would be a discussion twice a week about which bikes to ride...)

Does anybody get to do much tar riding on any of the above?

Has anybody bought a bike in this class and decided they did not like it, if so why?

I heard the service interval on 2013 Fox products dropped to 3-4 months from 9-18 months from their previous range. If this is true Rockshox suspension is a must. I would also budget in new wheels as part of what you would like to spend. Rather spend 25k on the bike + 5k for wheels than paying 30k for a bike with mediocre wheels.

Hi All

Thanks for all of the feedback! It looks like I must chose between anthem or epic style and trance or camber style.

I actually had a look at a Camber and rode it down the road outside the bike shop. It felt a bit upright, wide and soft (it was not setup). I got the impression that it it could get a bit heavy riding on tar for any distance. I am trying hard not to end up buying a road bike as well. (Then I would have to buy a road bike for my wife too and there would be a discussion twice a week about which bikes to ride...)

Has anybody bought a bike in this class and decided they did not like it, if so why?

Buy her a road bike in your size! Problem solved! ;)

The Camber and Epic will be better for road riding but the tires will make a much bigger difference. The Camber because it has full lockout, and the Epic because of its rear suspension superior power transfer. The Anthem is more comfortable than the Epic and will ride more like the Camber. All these bikes will do good for road riding if slick tires are used.

I want one of these when i get to 50.You will keep up with the best of them :whistling: :ph34r:

http://www.departures-international.com/typo3temp/pics/2216ec28b8.jpg

Only if it comes as a Single Speed :ph34r:

Like DJR said.

I am in the same boat as you. Have found the Trance far better on longer rides too. 3 x 9 is the way to go. Cheaper parts and will still be available until we we get "old". I would recommend the Trance seriously (have ridden a few bikes in my time) Also tour with panniers on my Trance. Why does it have to be a twentyninener? Flame suit on!

Edited by Sepia

Hi All

That is correct, you need to decide between an XC bike and a trail bike.

An XC bike will in most cases have 100mm travel front and rear, with a head angle in the range of 71º-72º. The ride will be quite responsive and the geometry is quite aggressive(racing geometry), but a proper bike setup should sort you out.

A trail bike will have 120-140mm of travel front and rear, and the head angle will be in the region of 67.5º-70º. These bikes have a confidence inspiring geometry instead of pure racing geometry. Make no mistake, a trail bike can still be raced.

The type of riding you want to do will dictate which is best for you. If you want to race marathons and aim for podium in your age category, an XC bike is a no brainer.

If you are not aiming to race competitively, but want a bike that will increase your confidence and push the limits of your skill on technical trails, I will recommend a trail bike. These days trail bikes light enough to do the odd race as well.

I don't think you should let the tar training sessions influence your decision. These days all the full suspension bikes in the price class you are looking at, have platform/floodgate adjustments on the fly, which means that you can firm up the suspension by flicking a lever, and you can inflate your tyres to a higher pressure for your midweek tar sessions. But imo you should not compromise on your bike's trail ability in order to have a better ride on tar.

Have a look at a Santa Cruz Tallboy, Alu, 2x10. Bit more relaxed to ride than the Spez epic but still a great XC machine.

The Anthem is not a pure xc bike its very versatile. The only drawback of the Anthem and the Trance is the long chainstays but this is less a problem the bigger the frame.

What a load of BS .All of it !
i rode all the bikes I have mentioned. I can debate any of the finer points with you if you like. Often with advising strangers with limited info available you go out on a limb and I would be interested to know what you would recommend.

Don't overlook the Giant Trance 29er because you can't see it through the wood of Anthems clogging up the bikeshop showroom.

It's got a more relaxed upright geometry than the Anthem, longer travel (easier on the back and bum), is more forgiving when it comes to technical riding (it'll save your bacon more often than an Anthem) and climbs rather well. Also, it's not that much heavier than the Anthem and, I think, more of a bike for someone that just wants to ride and enjoy as opposed to doing races and marathon stuff.

My (biased) 2c

I can second this... My riding buddy and I swapped bikes for a bike part of yesterday's ride (he has the anthem 29er, I have the trance 29er). I was flippen scared going into downhills on the anthem... Its a bike orientated for racing, it wasnt nearly as plus or confidence inspiring as the trance.... The mate even said, for fun factor and comfort the trance wins hands down... Like riding a sofa (his words).

Anthems are for race snakes trying to win stuff (and for that purpose they are great bikes) for fun riding, I will stick with the trance or slacker geometry bikes!

I'm a mature rider and ride a 26" 160mm travel dual sus.

In other words, ride what YOU want to ride and don't necessarily be swayed into something you don't really want.