Where are all the FiveTens hiding?

Craigwt

Hi All,

I have just recently got some flat pedals to try out (I went straight for SPD when I got my first bike), but I cant seem to find any shoes that work well... At least all the ones I own don't work well.

I have been trying to get hold of some Fivetens (apparently they're the best) but no one in SA seems to have stock, at least not the places I have tried. I'm looking for freeriders, not impacts, any ideas where I can try?

Other than that, what are alternatives that might be available in SA? What are you using?

I have tried CityRock (Mountain Mail Order), The Bike Shed and DialdBikes... The only thing I can find are impacts in a 9.

eddy.. What model did you buy? size?

I have tried CityRock (Mountain Mail Order), The Bike Shed and DialdBikes... The only thing I can find are impacts in a 9.

eddy.. What model did you buy? size?

Any reason you don't want to order from overseas? All my FiveTens have come from CRC. The Rand at the moment isn't ideal, but as far as sizing goes, the Freeriders (and variants, ie. Barron, Danny Mac signature) fit the same as the average skate shoe, so sizing can be done according to that.

I got a pair of Kustom - Kramer at tekkie town for R249 (on specials) they work really really well with my saint mx80's

I will probably be slayed in a minute or two for not 'buying fivetens'

http://i1.ztat.net/large/KU/11/1A/00/E4/04/KU111A00E-404@3.1.jpg

and they come in llike 50000 different colours

Yup! City Rock or Mountain Mail Order... same thing :thumbup:

Live and learn !

I knew they did mail order, didn't know it was under different name. Thx

I use Adidas skate shoes (same as what Kenny Belaey rides). Shoes are personal choice, I loved Kustom but they didnt even last me a week!! Element Hi8 isn't bad, but I wouldn't use them for hard riding (they tend to slip a bit doing big drops, 2m+ drops). FiveTens are just a bit too expensive for me, but I do still want to try them...

post-19039-0-91355800-1370871316_thumb.jpg

I got a pair of Kustom - Kramer at tekkie town for R249 (on specials) they work really really well with my saint mx80's

and they come in llike 50000 different colours

Hehe, I was looking at these at tekkie town the other day. How stiff is the sole on this shoe?

Any reason you don't want to order from overseas? All my FiveTens have come from CRC. The Rand at the moment isn't ideal, but as far as sizing goes, the Freeriders (and variants, ie. Barron, Danny Mac signature) fit the same as the average skate shoe, so sizing can be done according to that.

I thought I would get nailed with import duties... did you pay any duties?

No slaying here... but you don't know what you're missing out on ;)

@ main reasons I love my FiveTens (and yes, I have ridden with skate shoes)...

Also interested to know how stiff the soles are on those Kustoms

1. Sole rigidity. Definitely more support than skate shoes.

Here's a pic of me drifting a corner wearing skate type takkies. Notice how the sole of the my left shoe is folding over the pedal. FiveTens support a lot better than that.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/12174_578358102180786_601699103_n.jpg

2. (and the main one) Stealth rubber. It's far tackier and gripier than anything on skate shoes. It's thre reason for FiveTens existance. It's also pretty durable.

I thought I would get nailed with import duties... did you pay any duties?

On my first pair I did. But it still came out to what the local suppliers are charging.

On my 2nd, 3rd and 4th pair, I threw them in on a large CRC orders consisting of parts. Customs missed the fat there was a dutyable item in there. Load your cart with random small parts, like bar end plugs etc. Put your dutyable item somewhere in the middle. Hold thumbs. I've used this technique a few (over 7) times :ph34r: :lol: :devil:

Edited by patches

Hi All,

I have just recently got some flat pedals to try out (I went straight for SPD when I got my first bike), but I cant seem to find any shoes that work well... At least all the ones I own don't work well.

I have been trying to get hold of some Fivetens (apparently they're the best) but no one in SA seems to have stock, at least not the places I have tried. I'm looking for freeriders, not impacts, any ideas where I can try?

Other than that, what are alternatives that might be available in SA? What are you using?

Try Greg Minaar Racing, chat to Shane or Matt, 033 3420095.

+1 for Patches comment, the stealth rubber sole is brilliant.

I have the FiveTen Hellcats and ride either with Crank Bros 50/50 or FUNN pedals and they are awesome, no chance of me ever going back to cleats.