Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's available from Kalahari, and was also on shelf in Exclusive Books

Is it the Earthfire pizza oven - can't seem to find it...

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks - is it the Earthfire Pizza Oven?

Does it have another name?

Cheers,

Get hold of Rika Olivier (Trillian on here) - she's the owner of Earthfire, together with her hubby. She'll be able to point you to a stockist up norff.

Is it the Earthfire pizza oven - can't seem to find it...

Thanks for your reply.

Oops, I answered the wrong question... :wacko: I was referring the Durban Curry Book which I thought you were asking about, and not the pizza thingy.

Edited by barrykm

Oops, I answered the wrong question... :wacko: I was referring the Durban Curry Book which I thought you were asking about, and not the pizza thingy.

:thumbup: no worries - found it in the end!

Got this for Christmas from the wife.

I have one of those. They work really well once you have learnt how to use it. It works very differently to a normal pizza oven in that most of the heat is coming from the bottom and not the top. the trick is to only keep the pizza in the stone for a minute or two, and then move it onto the grid, or else you will burn you base. Also as far as toppings go - less is more.

I found that a good set of knives and a wooden chopping board are essential.  You can get ceramic blades now which are very very sharp.

Guest notmyname

These things. Made them for NYE braai, and I have to say that they were DEELICIOUS.

Pineapple rings. Streaky Bacon. Mozzarella. Onions.

You need good bacon, otherwise it'll just fal apart on the braai / when you turn them in the oven. But essentially - you cut your onion into rings. Place a ring around each pineapple ring, then place mozzarella sticks / slices inside the ring, on top of the pineapple. Wrap in streaky bacon (thick cut), then braai and enjoy.

OH MY GOD.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/wp-content/uploads/90_DSC_0033.jpg

Hey CPT mayhem.

I made these last night for my oldies and their chinas. De-lish ek sê!

Thanks for the recipe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Greek style roast leg of lamb with lemon roasted potatoes.

INGREDIENTS:
8 cloves garlic, half slivered and half chopped
1 (4 pound) leg of lamb with bone in
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
4 lemons
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 pounds potatoes, optionally peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Pierce the leg of lamb with a knife and insert the slivers of garlic all around the surface.

2. Mix the remaining garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, the juice and zest of 1 lemon, the oil, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper, rub the mixture over the lamb and let it marinade in the fridge for 1 hour to over night.

3. Place the lamb on a rack in your roasting pan, top it with some of the marinade and place enough water in the pan to cover the bottom without touching the lamb.

4. Cover in foil and roast in a preheated 232C oven on the middle rack until tender enough to easily pull from the bone, about 2-4 hours, adding more water if needed.

5. Reduce the heat to 177C and roast until browned, remove from the oven cover in foil and let rest. Remove the drippings from the pan reserving them.

6. Skim off a few tablespoons of the fat from the drippings and toss the potato wedges in them along with the juice of one lemon, oregano, salt and pepper to taste.

7. Cut the remaining lemons into wedges, add them to the pan along with the potato wedges and roast at 232C until the potatoes are tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside, about 30-45 minutes.

post-33824-0-83157300-1428391261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig N

• 1 month later...

For those, like me, who are on a diet/meal plan, I think this would be one of the many worthy cheat meals for a cheat day. For those who aren't on a diet/meal plan, I think this would go down just as well.

Drunken Aussie Beef Burger

Ingredients:

500g extra lean beef mince

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/3 cup of your favourite beer

Salt and pepper to season

4 medium eggs

4 shortcut bacon pieces, fat removed

1/2 Onion, thinly sliced

4 Slices pineapple canned in natural juice

Handful of rocket/arugula (or lettuce)

8 Slices beetroot

4 Slices cheese of choice

1 Tomato, sliced and divided

4 Medium bread rolls of choice, halved

Tomato sauce

Mayonnaise (optional)

Instructions:

Combine meat together with the garlic, sauce and beer. Mix well with your hands for about a minute, until the meat has combined with the other ingredients. Divide meat mixture into 4 parts and firmly mould them into round patties about 1 inch thick.

Heat a grill pan/skillet on medium-high heat. Sear hamburgers on both sides until golden and cooked through.

While the burgers are frying, fry the onion and bacon in a separate pan, until the onion is transparent and fragrant, and the bacon is crispy on both sides.

Transfer bacon and onion onto a paper towel; wipe pan over; add a drizzle of oil and fry eggs until cooked to your liking.

When the burger patties are cooked to your liking, transfer them onto a warmed plate, wipe pan over with a paper towel; and fry the pineapple rings (about 1 minute each side until caramelised).

Build your burgers! Layer the base of each bun with the lettuce/arugla, beetroot slices, burger patties, cheese, pineapple rings, bacon, onion rings, tomato slices and the fried egg. Drizzle with tomato sauce and (optional) mayonnaise; top with remaining bun piece and serve!

post-33824-0-47002200-1432279785_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig N