Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

The atmosphere of a braai is non-existent. Can just as well all stand around a gas stove in the kitchen.

That's fair enough. I thought perhaps you were referring to the quality or taste of the braai food. Admittedly the latter is different but certainly not gas-infused. Flavours are more from the juices and fat dripping onto the flavour bars, which is much like a restaurant flavour. I do enjoy the convenience of a gas braai for a quick midweek braai if it's raining or the wind is howling (which often happens here in Cape Town). But I have to agree that a proper fire creates the braai atmosphere. When I entertain, I only over braai using a fire.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fry off bacon (or bacon flavoured veg equivalent if you're a veggie / Muslim) diced onions, cherry tomatoes & mushrooms in butter. Bacon and onions first, then cherry tomatoes then mushrooms. Add salt & pepper & oregano & basil to taste.

Once cooked, add flour, stir until combined (no clumps) and then add milk & pamesan cheese (don't bother about creating a separate white sauce, this is far easier and more mess-friendly) until you have your sauce. There must be quite a lot.

In the meantime, cook your macaroni to just less than al dente (must still ahve a bit of a "bite" to it) and once cooked, drain and combine with the sauce.

Pour into an oven dish and top with a small amount of grated white mature cheddar and mozzarella.

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has become a lekker golden brown colour. The pasta would have cooked even more in the oven, which is why you must undercook it initially.

Serve with liberal amounts of tomato sauce or mayo.

Oh MAN that sounds good..... think thats gonna be on my to do list this weekend. Pre ride dinner!

That's fair enough. I thought perhaps you were referring to the quality or taste of the braai food. Admittedly the latter is different but certainly not gas-infused. Flavours are more from the juices and fat dripping onto the flavour bars, which is much like a restaurant flavour. I do enjoy the convenience of a gas braai for a quick midweek braai if it's raining or the wind is howling (which often happens here in Cape Town). But I have to agree that a proper fire creates the braai atmosphere. When I entertain, I only over braai using a fire.

Since installing an indoor braai, we braai whenever we want. Best thing ever

Okay, quick straw poll. How do you cook your omelettes? Browned or unblemished?

Browned

Guest Latent Blue
So I got a whole pig today!!!

Any advice+recipe on what I chould cook tonight?

I was thinking on giving the head a try (as my wife would touch that and shes away atm) .... maybe the trotters?

Anyone?

According to a couple of guys on the cooking channel - including gordon ramsay, its a myth that searing traps in the juices. It caramalises the sugars on the meat giving flavour, but has no effect on the juices.

The most important thing when cooking meat is RESTING. Was watching TV with the girlfriend the other day and saw this demonstration showing how much juice is lost when you don't rest meat [watch from 3:00]

The most important thing when cooking meat is RESTING. Was watching TV with the girlfriend the other day and saw this demonstration showing how much juice is lost when you don't rest meat [watch from 3:00]

Yeha, it's crazy!

What I've learned in the kitchen

-before juicing lemons nuke them in the micro for a minute for more juice

-to peel garlic quickly smash them with the flat of your knife; the skin come's off easily

-get a good knife, take care of it and it'll last forever

-always rest meat for 1/2 the time it took to cook it

-don't take your cooking too seriously

-buy a dishwasher; saves on water, time and sposal nagging

-buy decent quality meat and cook it from room temp, not cold

-wash as you go

-gas is king

-never be open to criticism :P

A trick my old man taught me- your steak should match the tenderness of your hand depending on how you like it

http://www.meninaprons.net/images/hand_test.jpg

What if you only have 4 fingers on each hand?