Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Man oh man.... you men seem to be stirring up the most amazing dishes in the kitchen! Can we clone some of you? or if someone wants to adopt a SWF.... :whistling: Great to see this 'men in the kitchen' revolution!! Keep the ideas coming..... got a long list of 'to-do's from this thread! :thumbup:

post-1604-0-54375600-1373433056_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vodka Penne

2x pack of bacon bites

1x can whole peeled tomato or pasata

1x 250ml cream

1x Penne packet

Vodka

Brown the bacon bites in a little olive oil and add the tomato or pasata after a few minutes,make sure if useing whole peeled tomato that you liquidiz for smooth consistency. Turn up the heat and let pasata reduce in to the bites add a bit of sugar (table spoon) and stir. Now add half a cup of vodka to the pasata reduction still on high heat, for say a minute and add the cream. Turn down the heat bring to a simmer add salt and pepper to taste. Once penne is done mix the whole lot together and serve with a little parmesan. (got this from a 80 year old Italian gentleman)

I'm back and after a weekend of family battles I needed chocolate, like the middle aged mum on the 70's show when things go wrong I bake. I have a feeling we might be related...

This one is good for the guys that are allergic to flour/gluten as it is gluten free.

Again not the best picture (I really need to try harder) but this is sweet, damn sweet.

Sponge -175gm Dark chocolate

6 Eggs

175gm Castor sugar

300ml Cream

Icing sugar

Filling -

100ml Cream

50ml Apricot jam

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees

Grease and line a shallow baking tin.

Slowly melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff.

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar to ribbon stage, then pour in the slightly cooled chocolate.

Stir two large spoons of egg white into the mixture and then slowly fold in the remainder.

Pour the mixture into the baking tray making sure it is evenly spread.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the mixture has risen and the surface is firm and slightly crisp.

Cool on a wire rack.

Whisk the cream for the filling and set aside.

Heat the jam until melted.

When the sponge has cooled spread the jam across evenly and then coat with the whipped cream.

Roll the roulade in cling wrap and keep in the fridge until needed.

Oh and if you want to be cruel to someone that can't take gluten just decorate with a little cocoa powder :devil:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/mss-65/20130713_185432_zpscf20751b.jpg

I'm back and after a weekend of family battles I needed chocolate, like the middle aged mum on the 70's show when things go wrong I bake. I have a feeling we might be related...

This one is good for the guys that are allergic to flour/gluten as it is gluten free.

Again not the best picture (I really need to try harder) but this is sweet, damn sweet.

Sponge -175gm Dark chocolate

6 Eggs

175gm Castor sugar

300ml Cream

Icing sugar

Filling -

100ml Cream

50ml Apricot jam

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees

Grease and line a shallow baking tin.

Slowly melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff.

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar to ribbon stage, then pour in the slightly cooled chocolate.

Stir two large spoons of egg white into the mixture and then slowly fold in the remainder.

Pour the mixture into the baking tray making sure it is evenly spread.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the mixture has risen and the surface is firm and slightly crisp.

Cool on a wire rack.

Whisk the cream for the filling and set aside.

Heat the jam until melted.

When the sponge has cooled spread the jam across evenly and then coat with the whipped cream.

Roll the roulade in cling wrap and keep in the fridge until needed.

Oh and if you want to be cruel to someone that can't take gluten just decorate with a little cocoa powder :devil:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/mss-65/20130713_185432_zpscf20751b.jpg

Good work! Looks yummy

• 1 month later...

OK, i got people coming over for dinner.

Inspire me.

Well its gonna be cold.... so it HAS to be something warm and comforting!!! I am gonna try that Vodka penne tonight. (I think i have voddies @ home).

What are you thinking of?

Well its gonna be cold.... so it HAS to be something warm and comforting!!! I am gonna try that Vodka penne tonight. (I think i have voddies @ home).

What are you thinking of?

After much deliberation:

Starters:

Grilled haloumi wrapped in bacon, fiery steak slivers and garlic bruschetta

Mains:

Roasted basted sirloin, stuffed chicken breast, paprika spiced potato wedges, sweet potato and coriander salad.

Dessert:

Huge chunky choc chip cookies with cappucinos and espressos

After much deliberation:

Starters:

Grilled haloumi wrapped in bacon, fiery steak slivers and garlic bruschetta

Mains:

Roasted basted sirloin, stuffed chicken breast, paprika spiced potato wedges, sweet potato and coriander salad.

Dessert:

Huge chunky choc chip cookies with cappucinos and espressos

Noooooooooooo...... HOW can you do that?? is there room for one more... oh my word... when are you opening a restaurant??? i am salivating after reading that menu Wayne. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Noooooooooooo...... HOW can you do that?? is there room for one more... oh my word... when are you opening a restaurant??? i am salivating after reading that menu Wayne. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

How do you make your sweet potato & coriander salad?

I cook for love...not money.

(insert cheesy corny movie music here)

I cook for love...not money.

(insert cheesy corny movie music here)

:clap: Well... cant we do a Hubbers version of 'Come Dine with Me'?

I think that would totally rock!! Except we do it once a week instead of every week night .

Edited by MONS

How do you make your sweet potato & coriander salad?

So easy.

Take sweet potatoes raw, cut into wedges, leave skin on.

drizzle olive oil and roast till 5 minutes from being done.

Take out oven and drizzle with syrup/caster sugar and roast for further five minutes till caremelized (adjust sweetness to taste)

Take out oven and let cool.

Whilst cooling, thinly slice some red onion and soak in a good red wine vinegar.

When potatoes are cool, arrange in a bowl/serving dish, sprinkle with the drained onions that have softened in the vinegar, crumble on some good quality feta and sprinkle with coriander.

ITS AMAZING.

So easy.

Take sweet potatoes raw, cut into wedges, leave skin on.

drizzle olive oil and roast till 5 minutes from being done.

Take out oven and drizzle with syrup/caster sugar and roast for further five minutes till caremelized (adjust sweetness to taste)

Take out oven and let cool.

Whilst cooling, thinly slice some red onion and soak in a good red wine vinegar.

When potatoes are cool, arrange in a bowl/serving dish, sprinkle with the drained onions that have softened in the vinegar, crumble on some good quality feta and sprinkle with coriander.

ITS AMAZING.

Thanks for sharing... think I will try this one this weekend!!