Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

I have seen them at sloan's meat market, just off william nichol...otherwise...you, wagter and a .22, just remember something about you can't hunt and eat in month with the letter "r" in them or something like that

Hahahaha! Awesome thanks! I was thinking I should harvest some in Delta park...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a thread 'blocking' option for cooking klutzes like myself ...... tjoona and Tuc clearly won't cut it :whistling:

hahahahha I love this thread....good job wayne. I love cooking and don't laugh now, but have become a fairly descent baker of late.

I have a milktart recipe that I got from an aunty at a ng kerk bazaar that is insane...but I aint sharing that with no-one. She said she will hunt me down and feed me my own spleen if I ever do...and yes she was dead seriaas. Want to try my hand at a sour dough bread sometime.

Hahahaha! Awesome thanks! I was thinking I should harvest some in Delta park...

hahahhaha also saw sloan's has quail and pigeon...

Its also a hardwood I believe....problem is getting the proper stuff in jozi, also those trees take years to grow so there is a bit of guilt to burn a piece of wood that could have been a very old leadwood. Not alot of them around, but ja...love my braai too much

Ja, they take care to pic old pieces that have fallen off the trees.

hahahhaha also saw sloan's has quail and pigeon...

Nice! I'll be going over the weekend. Shot for the info.

hahahahha I love this thread....good job wayne. I love cooking and don't laugh now, but have become a fairly descent baker of late.

I have a milktart recipe that I got from an aunty at a ng kerk bazaar that is insane...but I aint sharing that with no-one. She said she will hunt me down and feed me my own spleen if I ever do...and yes she was dead seriaas. Want to try my hand at a sour dough bread sometime.

Been making bread on the Weber of late. Nothing better than the smell of freshly baked homemade beer bread.

Worst thread ever! :ph34r: Now I'm so hungry! :drool: And it not even 8am yet! :cursing:

I start work at 4, so the rice, sauerkraut and eisbein I just had is technically lunch.

Garlic press. And my hand blender. Sorry, that's two… :blush:

Ahh good call, those hand blitzers are very handy...also love my kitchen scale, doubles up as weight weenie measuring tool when I want.

Oh and the kenwood chef, that thing is awesome if you bake.

I used to work as a chef for many years in 4/5 star hotels in London and locally. This led to one of the more stupid moves I have made and that was not only to tell the nice young lady that was to become my wife that I could cook better than her but to then go and prove it by showing off.

She hasn't been in the kitchen for 10 years now. Bugger...

Anyway heres a very easy recipe for bran muffins (great for a mid ride snack) -

2 large eggs

300gm brown sugar

125gm sultanas

750ml milk

25gm bicarbonate of soda

5gm salt

300gm cake flour

95ml oil

200gm all bran flakes

The recipe can get all long and difficult here but it works just as well if you do this - throw all the ingredients (except the sultanas) into a blender/processor and blitz for a couple of minutes. Mix in the sultanas seperately.

Leave in a fridge over night.

Bake at 180 for 30 minutes.

You should get 18 to 24 muffins out of this.

Ahh good call, those hand blitzers are very handy...also love my kitchen scale, doubles up as weight weenie measuring tool when I want.

Oh and the kenwood chef, that thing is awesome if you bake.

Get yourself a seperate cake mixer if you can (the type that has a dough hook as well as a balloon whisk) I killed my Kenwood by using it for too many heavy doughs/mixes.

Get yourself a seperate cake mixer if you can (the type that has a dough hook as well as a balloon whisk) I killed my Kenwood by using it for too many heavy doughs/mixes.

Don't say that....that is the one thing that musn't break...ever. I will go out the same day and get a new one.

Shot for the tip though

I used to work as a chef for many years in 4/5 star hotels in London and locally. This led to one of the more stupid moves I have made and that was not only to tell the nice young lady that was to become my wife that I could cook better than her but to then go and prove it by showing off.

She hasn't been in the kitchen for 10 years now. Bugger...

Anyway heres a very easy recipe for bran muffins (great for a mid ride snack) -

2 large eggs

300gm brown sugar

125gm sultanas

750ml milk

25gm bicarbonate of soda

5gm salt

300gm cake flour

95ml oil

200gm all bran flakes

The recipe can get all long and difficult here but it works just as well if you do this - throw all the ingredients (except the sultanas) into a blender/processor and blitz for a couple of minutes. Mix in the sultanas seperately.

Leave in a fridge over night.

Bake at 180 for 30 minutes.

You should get 18 to 24 muffins out of this.

Nice....croissant recipe lying around anywhere?

Its also a hardwood I believe....problem is getting the proper stuff in jozi, also those trees take years to grow so there is a bit of guilt to burn a piece of wood that could have been a very old leadwood. Not alot of them around, but ja...love my braai too much

There is a guy in Glen Marais selling Sekelbos

One of the best woods to braai with.They dig up dead trees...anyway that's what we do when in the Kalahari

Edited by Kranswurm