CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

Draw your own conclusions why PPA don't put it to their members now but would rather approach the courts.

Based on the strength of HUB support alone (including non-PPA members not residing in the Western Cape), I suspect members would tell PPA to do exactly what they have done by approaching the courts. CSA is a leech at best. At worst they're a boil that needs to be lanced.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the ASA / SASCOC debacle who now wonders what value these organisations add to sport in this country?? And if they have the interest of athletes at heart?

Just browsed through the Knysna Cycle Tour website. Apparently it's "mandatory for all pro riders to donate 10 percent of their winnings to CSA". What a racket. Firstly CSA don't contribute to the development of young talent, then, to add insult to injury, they compel them to fund their back pockets in perpetuity. CSA are nothing less than cycling pimps with official badges HAMBA!

Look at that Maroejske chick. Did she receive any help from any of the two parties? PPA and CSA suck!

Precisly, the guys that are backing the PPA on here act like PPA are gods, PPA has helped up and coming riders in SA just as much as CSA has.

Look at that Maroejske chick. Did she receive any help from CSA? They suck! - FIXED

Precisly, the guys that are backing the PPA realise PPA are gods - FIXED

PPA has helped up and coming riders in SA much more than CSA has - FIXED

CSA does NOTHING to assist pro and talented riders, which is their function (not PPA)

CSA want to compel leisure riders to cough up 75 Randelas, PPA membership is VOLUNTARY

CSA have many income streams, PPA rely on membership fees and sponsorships

PPA PROJECTS SUPPORTED IN 2012-2013

Cape Town Giants, Southern Suburbs

Cedar High, Mitchells Plain

Fairmount Secondary School, Lotus River

Freewheelers Cycling Club, Steenberg

Genesis BMX Club

Heinz Park, Heinz Park

Hex valley Secondary School, De Doorns

Hout Bay Cycling Club, Hout Bay

Kinetic Cycling Club, Bishop Lavis

Lavendar Hill Secondary School

Muhammadeyeh Cycling Club, Wynberg

Rhadsport Cycling Club, Paarl

Southern Cape Cycling Club, Oudtshoorn

Southern Most Foundation Bredasdorp

Steenberg High School, Steenberg

Suburbs Cycling Club, southern Suburbs

Yep Clan, Khayelitsha

OTHER INITIATIVES

Bike to work days

Helmet handouts

Safety ad campaign

Commuting (incl. video)

Safe Cycling Courses

PPA OWN EVENTS

Heels on Wheels – females only (Road)

Schapenberg MTB – generic (mountain)

Tread Lightly – females only (mountain)

Tour de PPA – (Road)

OTHER PROJECTS

Western Province Schools Cycling Academy – fund development team to attend CSA Youth Festival

Bicycle Empowerment Network (BEN) Mobility programme

Botrivier Secondary School – BMX’s

Chaeli Campaign – tandem for disabled cyclist

New Mountain Bike trails in Genadendal/Greyton region

Upgrade of Kraaifontain BMX track

SANPARKS Tokai – upgrades and trail maintenance on Mtb trails

Show me what CSA did for cycling in the past year, other than blowing smoke up their own backsides, and where the money went. They're too busy stuffing around with constitution wordings and flying first class to get on with their core function. They believe their very existence entitles them to levy fees, what a load of bollocks. CSA deserve what they get, and I for one hope that's a bloody nose in court. Leisure riders would be more inclined to support them IF they actually did anything useful!

Edited by Brogue

Spot on Brogue - even if people may have a problem with PPA, they are a voluntary organisation and people have the choice of supporting them or not. On the other hand CSA is not.

PPA calls for funding proposals every year and anybody can submit an application. They are all looked over objectively and judged on their merits. Almost R4 Million was allocated to project funding this year (in fact, this happened in May).

Heino & Ward. Before you lay blame at the door of PPA for not supporting Maroejske, why not find out first whether PPA actually provides funding to individuals and if so, whether she sent an application for funding to PPA before the deadline in April.

Getting funding from PPA is a actually quite easy, I found . Send them a proposal which clearly outlines your objectives, how the project will benefit the cycling community and why you need the money you're asking for. The templates are on their website,so you just fill in the blanks. I received funding for my initiative, no luck involved.

BTW:

PPA lawyers (who sit on the Executive) give all their time for free and will continue to do so.

CSA does NOTHING to assist pro and talented riders, which is their function (not PPA)

CSA want to compel leisure riders to cough up 75 Randelas, PPA membership is VOLUNTARY

CSA have many income streams, PPA rely on membership fees and sponsorships

PPA PROJECTS SUPPORTED IN 2012-2013

Cape Town Giants, Southern Suburbs

Cedar High, Mitchells Plain

Fairmount Secondary School, Lotus River

Freewheelers Cycling Club, Steenberg

Genesis BMX Club

Heinz Park, Heinz Park

Hex valley Secondary School, De Doorns

Hout Bay Cycling Club, Hout Bay

Kinetic Cycling Club, Bishop Lavis

Lavendar Hill Secondary School

Muhammadeyeh Cycling Club, Wynberg

Rhadsport Cycling Club, Paarl

Southern Cape Cycling Club, Oudtshoorn

Southern Most Foundation Bredasdorp

Steenberg High School, Steenberg

Suburbs Cycling Club, southern Suburbs

Yep Clan, Khayelitsha

OTHER INITIATIVES

Bike to work days

Helmet handouts

Safety ad campaign

Commuting (incl. video)

Safe Cycling Courses

PPA OWN EVENTS

Heels on Wheels – females only (Road)

Schapenberg MTB – generic (mountain)

Tread Lightly – females only (mountain)

Tour de PPA – (Road)

OTHER PROJECTS

Western Province Schools Cycling Academy – fund development team to attend CSA Youth Festival

Bicycle Empowerment Network (BEN) Mobility programme

Botrivier Secondary School – BMX’s

Chaeli Campaign – tandem for disabled cyclist

New Mountain Bike trails in Genadendal/Greyton region

Upgrade of Kraaifontain BMX track

SANPARKS Tokai – upgrades and trail maintenance on Mtb trails

Show me what CSA did for cycling in the past year, other than blowing smoke up their own backsides, and where the money went. They're too busy stuffing around with constitution wordings and flying first class to get on with their core function. They believe their very existence entitles them to levy fees, what a load of bollocks. CSA deserve what they get, and I for one hope that's a bloody nose in court. Leisure riders would be more inclined to support them IF they actually did anything useful!

Who says it is not PPA function to assist PRO riders? they have chosen not too knowing full well that CSA is not capable - yet in Steve radio interview he stated PPA see some talented riders that they pass onto CSA to take further but with no money and no contribution from PPA to see these talented rider go futher.

Its like a parent with enough money to pay school fees but at grade 10 say sorry you must now pay your own school fees and varsity fees - yes the parent says I know I can afford it but you on your own. Then to watch their child not going to school as the child does not have the fund! Personally if I saw that I would really question that parents ability in parenting and certainly would not agree with it!

PPA calls for funding proposals every year and anybody can submit an application. They are all looked over objectively and judged on their merits. Almost R4 Million was allocated to project funding this year (in fact, this happened in May).

Heino & Ward. Before you lay blame at the door of PPA for not supporting Maroejske, why not find out first whether PPA actually provides funding to individuals and if so, whether she sent an application for funding to PPA before the deadline in April.

Getting funding from PPA is a actually quite easy, I found . Send them a proposal which clearly outlines your objectives, how the project will benefit the cycling community and why you need the money you're asking for. The templates are on their website,so you just fill in the blanks. I received funding for my initiative, no luck involved.

BTW:

PPA lawyers (who sit on the Executive) give all their time for free and will continue to do so.

In PPA funding proposal - they deliberately excluded any of this funding going to racing cycling - yet these fund are coming from a road race the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay cycle tour - its timed and everyone race we all know that who you kidding if you don't believe that? Have you ever ask a fellow cyclist or ever been asked asked you cycle tour time - why its a race!

Precisly, the guys that are backing the PPA on here act like PPA are gods, PPA has helped up and coming riders in SA just as much as CSA has.

Anything to add to Brogue? This proof of the PPA initiatives for young and disadvantaged riders speaks for itself. Some people should climb off their high horses.

Thanks for posting that Brogue. It is an eye opener for people with open minds and the attention span to read more that 2 lines at a time.

Anything to add to Brogue? This proof of the PPA initiatives for young and disadvantaged riders speaks for itself. Some people should climb off their high horses.

So maybe the question is not about how much PPA is doing - it is rather about how much more they could be doing for the good of cycling and even including racing cycling! It is a non profit organization and still after several years of doing investing, still investing R220 000 plus in unite trust each month is not really servicing they current embers or cycling to the full!

So maybe the question is not about how much PPA is doing - it is rather about how much more they could be doing for the good of cycling and even including racing cycling! It is a non profit organization and still after several years of doing investing, still investing R220 000 plus in unite trust each month is not really servicing they current embers or cycling to the full!

Perhaps wise investment of their funds is how they manage to fund all the stuff they do? I see it as a way for them to ensure their long term financial viability. To simply get money in and pay money out is a very short sighted way to manage finances. It reminds me a bit of how most cycling teams work. They get sponsorship, but when that dries up, for whatever reason, they go belly up. Methinks PPA is just being smarter than your average sporting body. Btw, I agree that they can do more, but what exactly should they do? That is the question. For now, at least until their issue with CSA is sorted out, they should stick to what they do best.

Perhaps wise investment of their funds is how they manage to fund all the stuff they do? I see it as a way for them to ensure their long term financial viability. To simply get money in and pay money out is a very short sighted way to manage finances. It reminds me a bit of how most cycling teams work. They get sponsorship, but when that dries up, for whatever reason, they go belly up. Methinks PPA is just being smarter than your average sporting body. Btw, I agree that they can do more, but what exactly should they do? That is the question. For now, at least until their issue with CSA is sorted out, they should stick to what they do best.

I will always agreed in keeping about 1 years of reserve funding in investment and I would not question PPA on that. In terms of spending, probably paying somebody just for the task of lobbying gov for better "road" for cyclist getting more issues address in the K53 terms system around cyclist etc. Then as I am a racing cyclist I really do believe after paying PPA about R180 per league race entry - yes PPA organize racing - if you win to get R200 back in the form of a gift voucher to cannel walk is really not playing ball at all and really does not inspire any young athlete to look at cycling as a professional sport! Non of this would be done at the sacrifice of any off the other project they are funding and I agree they should continue with them - its not a case of 1 or the other! It would be at the cost of not investing so much each month!

In fact if you look at just 1 months investment and to put that to a full league summer and winter series prize fund that would increase the fund from almost R20 000 per event - now that would be something worth racing for in fact a lot of the better rider in JHb (ex Cape ies) would also probably come and race in the Cape!

Or alternatively PPA should not organize racing at all and let WPCA to do this even if then the WPCA event clash by date with PPA event!