Which bike? 29er HT or 26 FS

T-Bob

So just been having a chat with a mate who has a nice choice to make but isn't too sure on what to go with.

He's looking for a new ride and has the choice of an alu' FS 6er yeti ASR or something bigger hooped with A Spez' Carve Pro or Momsen Al529.

Yeah, kinda different but they are what he's looking at. He's a 6'er up to now. Isn't going to be doing long xc or races, it's more for blasting Tokai, table mountain and every now off to Breede area & Jonkers.

It's about fun - Hits, thrashing about, zipping along trails, up to the mast every now and then, little hits, popping the front over little take offs, finding different lines here and there. It's not about going faster than this one or looking cooler than that one, he rides for himself and the enjoyment of it.

He's 5'9", if he wants to go long distance or fast then it done on the tar as he's a solid roadie as well as owning past skills on the dirt.

Personally I'd say the yeti without a doubt but I was wondering what everyone else thinks as I love 6ers and haven't spent enough time on 9ers in a variety of conditions to say one way or another.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an asr 5 6er and I absolutely love it. My mountain bike is all about fun so the yeti fits me perfectly. I don't plan on doing super long rides on cause for me long mtb is not much fun.

To go fast I hit the road on my road bike.

I have an asr 5 6er and I absolutely love it. My mountain bike is all about fun so the yeti fits me perfectly. I don't plan on doing super long rides on cause for me long mtb is not much fun.

To go fast I hit the road on my road bike.

That was my advice but that got shot down by a lot of other people.

if he wants to zip ,thrash , pop , take off , try diff lines , go faster .............. get the yeti ...

Those things arent possible on a 9r :lol: :P :whistling:

I'd also go the 26er route. Love my hardtail 29er but don't buy the position that it "replaces" a 26er dual sus bike. A sprung 26" full susser is still the ultimate toy/fun bike.

Edited by Tumbleweed

I'd also go the 26er route. Love my hardtail 29er but don't buy the position that it "replaces" a 26er dual sus bike. A sprung 26" full susser is still the ultimate toy/fun bike.

My 29er HT did replace my 26er dual sus. I just prefer the HT and wasn't riding the 26er, but that's personal preference. I like being thrown around by the HT and find it more fun as its slightly harder to ride. Had a blast at Jonkers on the weekend.

I think the friend needs to ride both and see what he prefers. In most cases, the 26 FS would be the better choice.

Not even a question 26 er all the way much more fun, u answered all the reasons in your Op post. I ahve a Ht 29 er and Ds 29er and they both faster than me old 26 er ds trance but nowhere nearly as much fun

My 29er HT did replace my 26er dual sus. I just prefer the HT and wasn't riding the 26er, but that's personal preference. I like being thrown around by the HT and find it more fun as its slightly harder to ride. Had a blast at Jonkers on the weekend.

I think the friend needs to ride both and see what he prefers. In most cases, the 26 FS would be the better choice.

Agreed! :thumbup:

In a perfect world, you should own a rigid SS 26er, a geared 26er HT, a 26er FS, a 29er HT and a 29er FS and, and…! Hahahahaha!

Actually the 29er duallie is the only bike I haven't fully taken to yet. :blush: Will add one to the quiver at some stage.

From how you describe his riding style and choice of riding venues then 26er is the obvious way to go. I still think that everyone should test ride a 29er just so they know why they prefer the smaller wheeled bike.

Idk who started this a 29r HT is the same a 26 dual sus , its the biggest horse crap ive ever heard ... :huh:

Not even a question 26 er all the way much more fun, u answered all the reasons in your Op post. I ahve a Ht 29 er and Ds 29er and they both faster than me old 26 er ds trance but nowhere nearly as much fun

Thanks all, that is pretty much what I said to him but couldn't really speak about how 9ers go on those kinds of routes. Didn't want him to think I was being biased so I said I'd throw it out to wider crew.

I love my 26 DS (so much so i bought another) and for me it's the same kind of thing, it's like bmxing with gears in the mtns for me rather then doing distances.

Just get hit up with so much info an opinions and reviews that claim that a 9er ht is 'nearly a comfortable as a 26 full sus' that you can get sucked in. My next HT will be a 9er for sure but for now I'm still firmly having fun on my 6er.

Idk who started this a 29r HT is the same a 26 dual sus , its the biggest horse crap ive ever heard ... :huh:

Definitely agree with this...

That said I'd take a 29er HT over a 26 FS anyday. Maybe I'm biased though, as for me "fun" is being faster than my mates on 26 FS bikes :blush:

Or the notion that bigger wheels is somehow an upgrade.

Definitely agree with this...

That said I'd take a 29er HT over a 26 FS anyday. Maybe I'm biased though, as for me "fun" is being faster than my mates on 26 FS bikes :blush:

I will introduce you to my mates on 26ers. ;)