bike carrier with number plate not matching cars

mikethemike

Hi

I have a bike carrier with numberplate and lights. I have two cars. If I put the one cars numberplate on the carrier, is it a problem if I use it with my other car.

i.e. the number plate of the car wont match the numberplate of the carrier.

The carrier is not a "trailer" as it doesnt have a license disk, so I'm assuming the number plate has to match the cars at all times??

Your assumption is correct.

Same as having different plates on the same car. The bike carrier isn't a licensed object.

The law states that the rear number plate should be visible. Therefor the number must match the car it's fitted to.

Edited by S.I.R Maxxis

Get Velcro.

Stick one side to the carrier.

Get an extra two plates (one for each number). Stick the other side of the Velcro to these.

Easy to remove and swop number plates according to the car you are using.

Edited by Ryanpmb

I guess you have a numberplate on the bike rack because the rack obstructs the plate on the car (been fined for that). So I suppose it has to be the same

I use those plastic plate holders and slide the correct one in there. I do forget sometimes.

Was thinking of glueing the two plates together, back to back. Then you can just turn them over. This way you cannot forget the correct one at home.

Take note that the perspec plates are cheaper than the alu ones when you are having a spare one made.

I use those plastic plate holders and slide the correct one in there. I do forget sometimes.

Was thinking of glueing the two plates together, back to back. Then you can just turn them over. This way you cannot forget the correct one at home.

Take note that the perspec plates are cheaper than the alu ones when you are having a spare one made.

Up here in GP you sukkel to get the perspex plates.

Use a number plate made with the reg details of the last taxi that p*****d you off. Drive 20% over the speed limit in known trap areas.

Yip, until you get caught from the front, as usually is the case...lol

Up here in GP you sukkel to get the perspex plates.

Because they aren't legal anymore!

Because they aren't legal anymore!

Sucks. I have 2 cars that still use them and both need the front plate replaced. Not going to put that cheap **** plates on the cars.

Joburg Traffic stopped me the other day because I had different plates. Told me it was illegal and to sort it out. NO Bribe asked for- No fine. My lucky day!!

I brought a similar question to the Hub about a year ago.

I took both vehicle registration docs to a shop that prints perspex plates and drilled holes in the two top corners which I then secure with cable ties to the bike rack depending on which vehicle I'm using.

Been through several road blocks since and never had any problems.

Guest Latent Blue

What if my carrier doesn't have a plate mount thingy? ???

R500 fine if the carrier has no plate and obstructs the view to the plate on the car.

R2000 fine for having different plates on car and rack.