Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve - Gauteng

Henley 1

A few months ago during a midweek afternoon ride, I noticed some sort of filming going on at the museum .

Coming back on the last km I was stopped by a guard and asked to wait. After 10min or so I was told I could go, only to see somebody on the set waving his arms frantically and telling me to stop. I Shouted back that I'm tired and it's only two minutes to the car park anyway.

So last night I stumble across Donkerland on Kyknet .I've only heard of this historical drama but never watched it. And the farm is none other than the museum at SBR.

So if there is a heavy dark family scene, with a tired looking guy on a old Raleigh swearing in the background . PM me I want my name in the credits.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone keen to go this weekend? (doc says i am not alowed to ride alone for the next 6 weeks)

I need some suffering! (and i got some new shoes to ride in..)

Anyone keen to go this weekend? (doc says i am not alowed to ride alone for the next 6 weeks)

I need some suffering! (and i got some new shoes to ride in..)

This was tuff burned of 3861Kcal. Granny Gear worked overtime. Will do it again this weekend

I have been to SBR the last two weekends. 1st weekend had a Jackal run out in front of me on the last 10km return loop. Boy could he run.

What an amazing place to train.

If only the people that arrive early could give the guards a break, the gates only open at 7am. It is their job. They are helpful and friendly.

Now if I could only make it up the last bad hill before the double lane, without walking, that would be an achievement :w00t:

Did it Saturday morning. It was hot.

That last hill always gets me as well. Reminds you where you are riding ,one last time.

My speed up that hill is called NVO.(Net voor omval.)

Edit: Blue, at first I thought you were talking about that little bl***sem right at the end ,before you head to the car park.

Edited by Blokman

I usually start walking at about 48 to 49 km, from the car park.

Have been managed 2:40 & 2.:38 on the two visits.

Wind on Saturday was also relentless.

Possibly the best training ground available in Gauteng.

@Blokman, that filming went on for three weeks! Also had to wait for ages while they filmed. You will notice that the old farm buildings are all re-thatched now, I presume thanks to the film producers as I saw them frantically thatching during filming. The reserve is such an interesting place! You go for a training ride and there's a movie set to contend with!

What rear gear ratios would you suggest?

You need some low options for those climbs, x-26 on the back at least.

What time does the place open during the week?

Taken from Gauteng tourism website:

It is open Monday to Friday 07h15 to 16h00, weekends and public holidays 07h00 to 17h00.

Or phone one of these numbers to make sure:

011 - 904 3930 / 3 / 7

071 602 7581

071 602 7579

Enjoy :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you riding there for the next few weeks, beware of cyclists going the wrong way round. Nearly had an incident while overtaking a MTB, when suddenly two bikes approach, riding abreast.

For the just over two hours that I was there, I saw about 8 to 10 cyclists riding the wrong way round.

Be aware and have fun.

Yes I was there yesterday pm, tjooned a few going the wrong way. a$sholez

But otherwise always a treat to go there, didn't see much game. Hows the perimeter fence there? look likes bits were missing to me.

Edited by kosmonooit

I was there on saturday and doing two loops around... didn't see any on coming traffic on the first loop, but going up the hill again from the parking, there were a lot of okes speeding down that hill. It's a one way up!!!!!!

If you're to damn lazy to cycle the extra few km's around to the parking area then don't go there. The last thing anyone expects going up that hill is to start ducking and diving lazy ass cyclist speeding down from the top.