DIY Bike Tools

Meezo

I've seen some guys mention bleeding shimano brakes with syringes. Wanted to try this. Got the syringes as well as some irrigation hose, but wasn't 100% sure it'll work.

Can anyone please post a pic & a short "how to" on bleeding the old XT as well as the new SLX / XT brakes?

Thx.

Check wheeldealer(don't know new hub name)(mtb marino or something) thread, he posted he's schlep so one can learn from the mistakes some good informative posts!!

PS I'll try and search it for you

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bled many a shimano new and old without this tool. Just normal syringes and hoses. But was told this is a nice to have tool.

So let's DIY this .... Anyone?

post-8906-1372661644,5183.jpg

Yes what fanievb said. And again a plumber or mechanic comes to mind.

Sorry forgot to mention. For cutting carbon get 2 times hose clamps the ones mainly found in cars engines or hose pipes. Use them as a guide leave just enough place for your blade(preferably the finest you find at a hardware) and cut away. Very gentle on the carbon.

Tips : use electrical tape(insulation tape) around the carbon bits you want tp cut to prevent the splinters. If there are any, get a very fine sandpaper and sand it down nicely

Cabon fibre dust is not very good for your lungs. Use a mask when cutting or sanding.

Shimano XT brake bleeding

I thought I’d put together a quick guide to bleeding Shimano XT brakes which hopefully is of some use. I know there are other ways to do this, syringe pumping from the bottom etc, but for a quick and easy way to do a single handed brake bleed you can’t beat this for simplicity. I also saved this as a pdf which I'll post

1. What you need:

Mineral oil from LBS (NB. NOT brake fluid) Syringe (or other suitable device)

Plastic bottle PVC tubing

7mm ring spanner Phillips screw driver - small

4mm hex spanner/alan key Paper towel

Elastic band<p>

OK this is not working... I copied and pasted text and pics from a word document and all that's been uploaded is the first bit of text.. as above??

Please help how do I do this?

Try again..

Shimano XT brake bleeding

I thought I’d put together a quick guide to bleeding Shimano XT brakes which hopefully is of some use. I know there are other ways to do this, syringe pumping from the bottom etc, but for a quick and easy way to do a single handed brake bleed you can’t beat this for simplicity.

1. What you need:

Mineral oil from LBS (NB. NOT brake fluid) Syringe (or other suitable device)

Plastic bottle PVC tubing

7mm ring spanner Phillips screw driver - small

4mm hex spanner/alan key Paper towel

Elastic band

post-31807-0-43692700-1372663771_thumb.jpg

This is going to be like a soapie...

1. Loosen off the brake lever mounting screw and re-position it so that the reservoir is level and lightly re-tighten screw.
  2. post-31807-0-30295300-1372665925_thumb.jpg
  3. post-31807-0-54733000-1372665975_thumb.jpg

1. With the Phillips screwdriver remove the lid of the brake reservoir, and take out the black rubber membrane. Be careful not to lose the screws.post-31807-0-41577500-1372666107_thumb.jpg

Before attaching the tube to the bleed nipple, squeeze the bottle so that after connecting it, it exerts a vacuum effect to help suck out the fluid and air bubbles. post-31807-0-34419800-1372666371_thumb.jpg

1. Squeeze the brake lever until it stops, and hold. Then loosen the bleed nipple with the 7mm ring spanner and tighten it again before your left hand on the brake lever reaches the end of travel, allowing the fluid and air bubbles to travel out of the calliper into the bottle and no air back in.post-31807-0-81682900-1372666455_thumb.jpg

Then top up the reservoir as necessary using your syringe (to avoid splashing the mineral oil all over the place). Actually I’m sure there are other ways to top up, but I have the syringe so just use that. Do not let the level drop too low otherwise air will be sucked into the system.post-31807-0-93904000-1372666543_thumb.jpg