DIY Bike Tools

Meezo

it should work if you use it very, very slowly otherwise you may crack the carbon

No, the tube cutter will not cut the fibres in the carbon and the cut will fray. Use a carbon specific blade or at least a 26TPI blade with a cutting guide that clamps onto the steerer.

The Hose clamps is an excellent idea and rather use masking tape. You can mark your cut better.

Edited by Big H*

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use cotton buds to dry out hub axle after a wash. Use the skewer to push it through.

No, the tube cutter will not cut the fibres in the carbon and the cut will fray. Use a carbon specific blade or at leats a 26TPI blade with a cutting guide that clamps onto the steerer.

Here's what i use as guides for carbon

post-8906-1372228595,3537.jpg

How about using one of these for those hard to reach places? instead of a syringe, ok, again this is not a homemade item, but freely available....

post-9580-0-28937600-1372229543_thumb.jpg

How about using one of these for those hard to reach places? instead of a syringe, ok, again this is not a homemade item, but freely available....

post-9580-0-28937600-1372229543_thumb.jpg

Used disposable syringes are easy to find, just follow cycling teams and look inside crumpled Coke tins.

I found this doesn't work for me, the "legs" frumpled, this works really well - found on wilddogsza.net. Flatbar rounded on sides. Slot in behind race and tap out from other side

Never tried this ? But how easy would it be to flip that inside the headtube...

Never tried this ? But how easy would it be to flip that inside the headtube...

Ok on second thoughts should be simple enough

Ok on second thoughts should be simple enough

You can even drill and tighten to a long enough bolt. Your tapping thingie it with is then permanently attached.

You can even drill and tighten to a long enough bolt. Your tapping thingie it with is then permanently attached.

Yes. But then it might be slightly harder to get it into the frame

possibly the best thread on the hub!!!,

i love making stuff work with tools made and sourced form different applications etc. probably from growing up watching Macguyver? :clap:

will be watching this with great interest.

Some of the DIY tools I've made and used with great success

BB30 Press Fit bearing press

Cannondale Headset press

Hydraulic brake bleeding kit

Hose clamps to cut steerers (have subsequently purchased the correct tool to replace this)

Over time I've tried to replace my home made tools with proper tools and have a nice tool kit now, I completely stripped and rebuilt my Cannondale Flash Carbon after Sani2C myself and didn't have to pay anyone :clap: I also know that everything was built properly and to spec and actually have more confidence knowing the bike is built perfectly. I have all of the tools to do the same on my road bike and will never again send my bike to a bike shop.

With the wealth of information on the internet anyone is capable of doing this, there are loads of video's out there detailing just about every detailed aspect of bike servicing and if that fails thehub is full of rocket scientists :D

On a side note, I've picked up brand new bikes in the past that have been built by trained mechanics and have had loose cranks, brakes, steerers, stems etc.. and not once or twice a few times, hence why I'm doing my own bikes now.

The feeling you have riding a bike for the first time that you've built yourself is priceless.

I recently built my first wheel - I used my stationary trainer as a wheel trueing stand.

29er wheel sans tyre fits fine, just removed the "resistance" part.

Look up Roger Musson for homemade dishing tool, and radial and lateral trueing tools