Cape Epic turn over R50 million

dillon

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is uncalled for.

The matter here is, yes CE is very expensive, Kevin makes a huge profit.

But I say, so what, do you work for bare minimum, or do you also want the most you can get?

He has a business that obviously works, where the money comes from, is not important.

We only complain because we all can't afford it. Yes, I'm one of them, but I wont ask Kevin to reduce his profit just so I can also do it.

I am with him H, the spruit is pretty hond if you compare it to those trails. :whistling:

Guest Karma

I am with him H, the spruit is pretty hond if you compare it to those trails. :whistling:

What do you mean? the Spruit has the best Strava segments....all the best downhillers train and race there.

What do you mean? the Spruit has the best Strava segments....all the best downhillers train and race there.

Also true, I mean you are not a mtber if you don't have a gazillion inches of travel and skateboard skoens.

Guest Latent Blue

http://files.sharenator.com/bitch_please_obama_1-s483x340-176358.jpg

post-43150-1372327739,2349.jpg

As a local you can ride the same or very similar trails to what the CE covers whenever you want to. The foreign marathon snakes cannot so it is quality mtb to them. The kind of riding OM is referring to is proper AM riding and DH with lifts, multi km descents and an adrenalin rush of note - not a multiday slog largely on dirt roads.

By all accounts KV forgot about the local mtb enthusiasts who helped him get the race going by entering by the second or third event and was only interested in hobnobbing with the pro's. Contrast this with the ethos of the S2C which is all about guaranteeing every entrant has a total jol, racing hard or not, and you will understand why so many people have a negative view of the CE.

Good business tho and well done to KV for making a mint and putting us on the map.

The Epic and Sani2c are as different from one another as The Epic and riding European trails are. Sani2c is boring by comparison. Comparable to the spruit for sure.

Guest Omega Man

IMO.... You cannot compare the 2 places they are vastly different in many ways.

Without doubt the facilities in Europe are better i.e. its a dedicated summer industry for whole villages much like ski'ing is for the ski resorts in winter. You just don't get that same bike resort situation in SA.

With the epic SA has a world class race in a completely different environment (African scenery, wildlife, Cape Town and surrounds, summer...ect....) which is exactly what a lot of overseas riders (especially those from Europe) are looking for, a break from winter, different scenery and different cultural experiences

Yeah true I guess.

Maybe that's why I enjoy riding over there so much. Cos it's completely different to here.

As a local you can ride the same or very similar trails to what the CE covers whenever you want to. The foreign marathon snakes cannot so it is quality mtb to them. The kind of riding OM is referring to is proper AM riding and DH with lifts, multi km descents and an adrenalin rush of note - not a multiday slog largely on dirt roads.

So what you saying is that sunny SA terrain lends itself more to XC and XCM than downhill / AM....Yes agree with that. We have awesome weather and terrain for that type of riding. Isn't it better then to adopt those disciplines since we simply don't have the terrain and facilities to do AM properly

Kinda like driving a F1 car on a dirtroad...but to each their own

Guest Omega Man

Also true, I mean you are not a mtber if you don't have a gazillion inches of travel and skateboard skoens.

Yup. And ride in baggies. You also have to have one of those dakine blankies on your bakkie and hang your goggles from your rearview mirror.

Anyway. Big ups to KV. Oh and in 9 sleeps I'll be heading off to ride some euro trails. Wooooohooooo.

Edited by Omega Man

The Epic and Sani2c are as different from one another as The Epic and riding European trails are. Sani2c is boring by comparison. Comparable to the spruit for sure.

And the Cape Pioneer Trek - also boring - much cheaper and sounds plenty exciting to me? In fact, I was referring to the attitude and ethos of the event organisers rather than the route. I'll agree that the soft terrain of KZN isnt a match for the rocks and mountains of the Karoo and winelands, but all that dirt road roadie bunch riding is K@k in my opinion.

Yup. And ride in baggies. You also have to have one of those dakine blankies on your bakkie and hang your goggles from your rearview mirror.

Done! will use my rudy project rydons for the time being though

Guest Omega Man

Done! will use my rudy project rydons for the time being though

I don't know what those are. But ja. Close enough.

So what you saying is that sunny SA terrain lends itself more to XC and XCM than downhill / AM....Yes agree with that. We have awesome weather and terrain for that type of riding. Isn't it better then to adopt those disciplines since we simply don't have the terrain and facilities to do AM properly

Kinda like driving a F1 car on a dirtroad...but to each their own

No not at all, the problem here is we have a culture of mathon riding so there isnt a market for real fun trails - ie technical steep stuff that require skill development beyond being fit and able to ride over a root or two. There is scope for this kind of riding here for sure, especially in the Cape and trail builders are slowly creating some amazing routes - try Welvanpas for size...